BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Happy with Chinese Rearsets

9K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  lospsi 
#1 ·
Yes I had the money to buy a brand new 2015 RR but that doesn't mean I wanted to drop another grand on the HP rear sets or even 500+ on the other great manufacturers. There is just too much I want to do and I have to spread the money out.

That being said, I took a gamble and bought some Chinese rear sets for $119. It was a gamble because guys on the forum had mixed experiences with their purchases. I just wanted to give my feedback for guys that may be on a budget.

These things went on perfectly. I had ZERO issues with alignment. The only things I replaced were the bolts that held on the foot pegs and shift/brake pegs. I didn't like the quality of the bolts. I just ordered the chain adjuster from the same seller so I will report back when I install that.

CNC Adjustable Rearsets Footpegs for BMW S1000RR 2009 2015 13 14 12 11 10 Black | eBay

#4 ·
Hardware made of cheese, **** anodizing and scrap metal. No thanks.

Keep supporting that garbage and then complain when something breaks.

Probably stole the drawings too.

Anyone in manufacturing knows my rant.

The gooch has issues expressing his feelings. He's working on being more direct lately :)

#6 ·
Too often the riders that purchase Chinese knockoff levers and rearsets have issues but (understandably) are reluctant to share their experience. So as a result these parts will appear to have a better reputation than actual. Please be brave and report back.

For me, I want the real Satos, not the reverse engineered ones. The bike deserves that, or I leave it stock. But that's just my choice.

#7 ·
I agree. When I first started riding I had to scrape together to even buy a bike and always had to settle for less then the best. If I had all the money that I wasted on parts that was on less then the best, I could buy double of quality partsif I waited. My advice is you can take it or not. I just picked up a set of HP4 rear sets used for a great price. Quality used parts are out there just save and have patience. I have even got a set of Moriwaki rear sets for a CBR 1000rr for $180.00 in the past a HRC power up kit for $1500.00. So wait for good quality parts its worth it.

#14 ·
I agree. When I first started riding I had to scrape together to even buy a bike and always had to settle for less then the best. If I had all the money that I wasted on parts that was on less then the best, I could buy double of quality partsif I waited. My advice is you can take it or not. I just picked up a set of HP4 rear sets used for a great price. Quality used parts are out there just save and have patience. I have even got a set of Moriwaki rear sets for a CBR 1000rr for $180.00 in the past a HRC power up kit for $1500.00. So wait for good quality parts its worth it.
To each his own....the bolded part of the above is perhaps the most insight offered in the thread. Poor sentence structure and syntax, but you get the point

#8 ·
I have a set of knock off rearsets I have had for more than a year and I have had no issues with screws backing out, or anodizing problems. I bought them from a USA seller and searched carefully before buying them. That said, I bought them sort of as an experiment, not expecting them to last, and they have exceeded my expectations. Mine are for a 2010 though, not a 2015

I actually know quite a bit about sourcing product from China, since it is a large part of my job. I spend about 4 months each year in China, sourcing products.

Obtaining reliable, durable metal from our Chinese factories is a constant problem; we have to import raw metal stock from outside China in order to obtain reliable product quality.

In the end, it is possible with proper oversight to obtain better value and quality while manufacturing in China, but most companies don't have the resources. Case in point, we moved some electronic products from manufacturing in North America to China, and our warranty and service costs were reduced by more than 50%. We invested a lot into quality oversight there, though.

Reactions: Elk
#10 ·
I have a set of knock off rearsets I have had for more than a year and I have had no issues with screws backing out

Like Attack Performance? As much as I like AP, this is a known issue.

It's all relative, no? Many of us here own Apple products. Are they poorly produced because they are manufactured in China? That said, Apple has high standards for its suppliers.

#9 ·
You cannot lump all manu's into the same bag regardless of point of origin. We all know that every Manu BMW included have numerous Chinese parts. If your buying from an ISO 9000,9002 cert. shop in China you're in pretty good shape. I've had Chinese anodization fade in months and some look like new after 10 years. I've had awesome luck with quality Chinese ISO parts for many years. It's not all or nothing I have had awesome levers, sliders, bobbins, break res. from China but use AP rear sets. If a $20 part fades in short order it was not from an ISO shop. You can try a lot of manu's before you spend close to what big names ask for carved metal.

#11 · (Edited)
@sro my knock offs are of Sato Racing rearsets. I am not particularly proud of them, but they do the job.

@Starpower - agreed on all points

Further on this topic; in sourcing for our products we differentiate between application: we consider some products to be used in "life/safety" metal applications. These are product applications where a metal component is used in such a manner where someone's health or safety could be at risk if the product fails. For these types of products we incorporate special 3rd party load bearing and shearing tests to confirm that the product use will not pose any form of risk during use. We typically test to 10x the normal use case load, just to ensure that thresholds aren't approached in daily use.

For my personal life and motorcycle hobby, it means that I may not be too concerned about using a knock off billet oil cap or gas cap, but a knock off rear set I would generally consider to be more risky item. I would hate for a rear set to break mid-corner and end up on my head. Nevertheless I did try a set because at the time I was short on funds, and it ended up working out ok.

In general I have had good experience with Chinese made bike parts, but if I have the money I would always prefer to purchase known, quality parts from name brands.

#24 ·
Further on this topic; in sourcing for our products we differentiate between application: we consider some products to be used in "life/safety" metal applications. These are product applications where a metal component is used in such a manner where someone's health or safety could be at risk if the product fails. For these types of products we incorporate special 3rd party load bearing and shearing tests to confirm that the product use will not pose any form of risk during use. We typically test to 10x the normal use case load, just to ensure that thresholds aren't approached in daily use.

For my personal life and motorcycle hobby, it means that I may not be too concerned about using a knock off billet oil cap or gas cap, but a knock off rear set I would generally consider to be more risky item. I would hate for a rear set to break mid-corner and end up on my head. Nevertheless I did try a set because at the time I was short on funds, and it ended up working out ok.

@Seraphim38 Has the experience I have. We have a few lines set up in China and have to spell out every minute detail for QC. Once done and vendors restricted the QC is there but not without some initial headaches.

Don't think for a minute that they won't steal your design and run it behind your back. Then have the Chinese government subsidize the manufacture to get it to market in the U.S. and undercut all the people holding the IP.

People do not realize how much money is involved in setting up manufacture for an item. Especially tooling costs.

/rant

#12 ·
I absolutely would have no problem reporting a failure of the part. The purpose of my post was to inform guys that might be operating within a limited budget that I had no fitment issues like others had experienced. I'm not comparing my rearsets to your HPs or APs.

It's not rocket science figuring out every other rearset is better. The only parts bearing weight are the bolts which have been replaced. The safety issue is thus addressed.

If the anodizing only lasts a few years I'm ok with that. I will have built the bank account back up by then and get some APs
so you will like me again.

#19 ·
Hey,OP, we never said we didn't like you or your choices. We only volunteer our thoughts because that's what people want to do on forums. It's great that we get another point of view, sometimes a reality check is beneficial.

And Repsol Motogp - I'm sure no offense was intended. You offer some great insight learned through personal experience. Grammar and syntax are almost always optional here on the internet, so don't let us discourage you.

#20 ·
I must admit I have fallen into this trap. I shoot a lot of carbine classes and purchased red dot sights, rails, NVD's etc etc. from China. The quality is well "China"
I finally figured out , all the cash I "wasted", I could have purchased top of the line equipment.

I write specifications for large govt construction projects, I have found that the quality control is very lacking. 316 stainless steel has a lot of carbon in it. This leads to failure. on an on.

It is still tempting
my two cents

#22 ·
Totally tongue in cheek regarding my comment about you guys liking me. I'm here to gather info on the bike. Point of my post was just to give info on my experience with putting them on since others had posted they had fitment issues with theirs. If or when something negative happens with them I will report that as well.

I'm also happy with my $21 windscreen and $27 seat cowel.

#23 · (Edited)
I have been using paypal 6month no interest every few months to mod my bikes.

For the cars the parts are like 4x so i only buy through forums or keep stock. The full kit on one of my cars brand new was $26K before install. i manage to find all the pieces for the full kit with in 2 years for under $8k.

If i can't source it used or paypal 6month deal then i'll wait. I'm scared if the parts failed while i'm being a dick in the mountains then i'm a dick thats fcuked.

I did buy a chinese clutch/brake lever for my ninja 300. If these parts do good then i might venture more into the chinese knock off route.

#27 ·
With machining / labor costs in the US it wouldn't surprise me the least if the high end rear sets were made in china and assembled here or something along thoes lines. Seems like most everything else is these days.

The world is changing! I remember when we all made fun of Japanese products espetially their cars not too long ago. Look at them now.

#29 ·
for high end parts, we still do manufacturing in the USA on both coasts (Washington and Boston areas).

And for metal parts, we source the metal from the USA because we can get consistent quality and predictable grading. We can save on assembly labor if we shipped the parts from the USA to China, Mayasia or Jakarta, but the duty and freight savings are sometimes close to the labor assembly variances.

Labor in North America is still many times more expensive than contract rates overseas; but that differential is weighed against the availability and logistics costs for moving around the raw materials, components and subassemblies.

Reactions: Elk
#28 ·
I think there's a misconception that expensive equals quality? If that were true, none of us would be buying European liter bikes. I've had several so-called quality, name brand parts fail over the years; while my knock-off Chinese parts have been fine. Simply do your homework and if YOU feel comfortable with the purchase, go for it.

#31 ·
Bringing this back from the dead.

To the OP's or anyone who ran or is still runing "Chinese" rear sets, How have they held up these years? At this point we're looking at 3 years now. Any fails/complaints?

I stay out of these "Chinese vs real" threads. I know too many things in automotive industry brands that people swear by to find out the parent companies product is a "Chinese/Taiwan/Philippines/Vietnam" made. While the business owners, sometimes the same owner, is laughing at comments such as one is better than the other when Reality it's the exact same part just with a red sticker listed at $$$ vs one with a blue sticker at $$. In the end it only cost them $.

At the end of the day, it's your bike do what you want.... At the end of the day, if what you bought sucked ass then lesson learned.

I just want to get an update on to how things are looking.

#32 ·
I did get a set for my S1000R and the quality was good. The bolts were not so good though, many people state that they replace them with better quality. I ended up not fitting them though as the rearsets were for S1000RR and the seller was also selling them for the R too. That's, IMHO, the worst thing about chinese products. They don't know what they are selling (most of the time).
I was running chinese footpegs on my old Aprilia Tuono and didn't encounter any serious problems. Quality was good, the anodizing started to fail after 2 years but for the price I paid, I didn't bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.