Happy with Chinese Rearsets - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Garage
@sro my knock offs are of Sato Racing rearsets. I am not particularly proud of them, but they do the job.

@Starpower - agreed on all points

Further on this topic; in sourcing for our products we differentiate between application: we consider some products to be used in "life/safety" metal applications. These are product applications where a metal component is used in such a manner where someone's health or safety could be at risk if the product fails. For these types of products we incorporate special 3rd party load bearing and shearing tests to confirm that the product use will not pose any form of risk during use. We typically test to 10x the normal use case load, just to ensure that thresholds aren't approached in daily use.

For my personal life and motorcycle hobby, it means that I may not be too concerned about using a knock off billet oil cap or gas cap, but a knock off rear set I would generally consider to be more risky item. I would hate for a rear set to break mid-corner and end up on my head. Nevertheless I did try a set because at the time I was short on funds, and it ended up working out ok.

In general I have had good experience with Chinese made bike parts, but if I have the money I would always prefer to purchase known, quality parts from name brands.

2010 S1000RR - Carrozzeria | Dunlop | BrakeTech | PFC | Brembo | TWM | CRG | Spiegler | Motion Pro | AFAM | DID | Ohlins | Fluid Suspension Science | EarthX | SlingShot Racing | Pro-Bolts | GB Racing | Moto-D | APE | Samco | Kurveygirl.com | PC5 | Nels Dynotuning |

Last edited by Seraphim38; 11-15-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I absolutely would have no problem reporting a failure of the part. The purpose of my post was to inform guys that might be operating within a limited budget that I had no fitment issues like others had experienced. I'm not comparing my rearsets to your HPs or APs.

It's not rocket science figuring out every other rearset is better. The only parts bearing weight are the bolts which have been replaced. The safety issue is thus addressed.

If the anodizing only lasts a few years I'm ok with that. I will have built the bank account back up by then and get some APs
so you will like me again.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Banned

My own personal view is that I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a bike then put cheap parts on it.

No offence to the OP but that's just my 2 cents.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol motogp View Post
I agree. When I first started riding I had to scrape together to even buy a bike and always had to settle for less then the best. If I had all the money that I wasted on parts that was on less then the best, I could buy double of quality partsif I waited. My advice is you can take it or not. I just picked up a set of HP4 rear sets used for a great price. Quality used parts are out there just save and have patience. I have even got a set of Moriwaki rear sets for a CBR 1000rr for $180.00 in the past a HRC power up kit for $1500.00. So wait for good quality parts its worth it.
To each his own....the bolded part of the above is perhaps the most insight offered in the thread. Poor sentence structure and syntax, but you get the point

2014 HP4 #5784
2012 ZX10R (sold)
2005 ZX6 636 (sold)
2002 ZX9R (sold)
1996 ZX9R (sold)
1992 ZX7 (sold)
1991 600R (sold)
1990 EX 500 (sold)
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideit View Post
To each his own....

What he said.

I like my AP, but it's not perfect. I'm sure there are some good Chinese rear sets out there.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM

If you are happy with the money you spent for the bike you own. Then that's all what matters.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM

I'm sorry I have poor sentence structure but I'm a coal miner. I'm not a member to impress someone with my grammar or spelling Im on here to learn more about my bike and to interact with people who have the same interest as Me. You can buy any part you want it does not effect me.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Elk

I hope you appreciate he both agrees with you and opines you make an excellent point.

'15 S1000RR
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:32 PM

Hey,OP, we never said we didn't like you or your choices. We only volunteer our thoughts because that's what people want to do on forums. It's great that we get another point of view, sometimes a reality check is beneficial.

And Repsol Motogp - I'm sure no offense was intended. You offer some great insight learned through personal experience. Grammar and syntax are almost always optional here on the internet, so don't let us discourage you.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM

I must admit I have fallen into this trap. I shoot a lot of carbine classes and purchased red dot sights, rails, NVD's etc etc. from China. The quality is well "China"
I finally figured out , all the cash I "wasted", I could have purchased top of the line equipment.

I write specifications for large govt construction projects, I have found that the quality control is very lacking. 316 stainless steel has a lot of carbon in it. This leads to failure. on an on.

It is still tempting
my two cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode