Sticking Shift Lever @ 10k miles - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sticking Shift Lever @ 10k miles

I've had my 2010 RR since 7k miles and it just rolled 10k today. In the past 500 miles I've noticed that the shift lever would get stuck on up shifts using the quickshifter. It has progressively gotten worse and is now doing it almost every up shift. The bike shifts perfectly when clutching. My described issue is only with the quickshifter. Everything is stock and the chain has the proper tension. I've read a lot on this forum about this issue but no one seems to describe my exact issue. I'm leaning towards a detent plate but would like your opinions before dropping $100. Thanks
Terry Greenwood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shift star? The shifting arm slid on the spline and was rubbing against the transmission. I slid it out 1/8" and thought it improved some but sometimes I still feel it sticking on QS up shifts...
Terry Greenwood likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone got any ideas? The bike is stored for the winter so now would be a perfect time to wrench. However, testing would be too cold

2015 S1000RR

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 AM

I had one Issue with a bike at work. The problem was the shift shaft spring. Behind that shift shaft in the picture there is a spring that sits over a block which is part of the case. It sits with a 1 side of the spring either side. Like if you made a V with your index finger and middle finger the tab would be in the middle. The spring was bent and 1 side was sliding up over the block causing the selector drum to get stuck and not rotate. More the point the 2 little claws on the shift shaft were not springing back far enough to grab the next gear. I just replaced the spring and all was fixed.

This spring on the selector shaft must sit either side of a square block that is part of the engine case. The problem with the one I had was that one side of the spring was bent outwards and would slip up and over the block. This caused the 2 claws not to move up enough to allow the shift star to rotate so it could grab the next gear. When you push the gear lever up with your foot it would try to move but never grab the next gear creating a jammed sensation.
the_gooch, Elk and MotoMillion like this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:48 AM

Bennymx,

It great to have your technical insight on this forum.

Many thanks for your contribution!

Ian
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
I had one Issue with a bike at work. The problem was the shift shaft spring. Behind that shift shaft in the picture there is a spring that sits over a block which is part of the case. It sits with a 1 side of the spring either side. Like if you made a V with your index finger and middle finger the tab would be in the middle. The spring was bent and 1 side was sliding up over the block causing the selector drum to get stuck and not rotate. More the point the 2 little claws on the shift shaft were not springing back far enough to grab the next gear. I just replaced the spring and all was fixed.

Excellent, thank you so much. I am going to tear into this as soon as I get some time off. I've read that there is an upgrade spring from FactoryPro available. Is that something you would recommend using? I've also read that the actual shift shaft could be at fault as well as the detent spring. These were the problems mentioned on pre Oct '10 bikes which I believe mine is. I would like to actually fix the problem so it doesn't happen again, of course. Thank you again, Chris

2015 S1000RR

Last edited by irelandjr; 12-15-2015 at 04:16 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Upon re-reading your post. I think a re-teach of the quickshifter would be beneficial also. This is normally done through a BMW diagnostic computer at the dealer or via a GS-911. The quickshifter can be reset then the gears taught in manually by riding the bike and using the clutch to change to each gear. You must ride in each gear for 10 seconds then use the clutch to change to the next gear. Once gone all the way to 6th. Change down to 1st and try and use the quick shifter on the way up. Since you say the clutch works fine, maybe it is just the quickshifter that needs to be re-taught. Just a thought before you go pulling things apart.

The factory pro spring I have heard is a good thing. Stronger spring that provides a bit more force and a more positive shift feeling.

That spring is this one highlighted in green:

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Upon re-reading your post. I think a re-teach of the quickshifter would be beneficial also. This is normally done through a BMW diagnostic computer at the dealer or via a GS-911. The quickshifter can be reset then the gears taught in manually by riding the bike and using the clutch to change to each gear. You must ride in each gear for 10 seconds then use the clutch to change to the next gear. Once gone all the way to 6th. Change down to 1st and try and use the quick shifter on the way up. Since you say the clutch works fine, maybe it is just the quickshifter that needs to be re-taught. Just a thought before you go pulling things apart.

The factory pro spring I have heard is a good thing. Stronger spring that provides a bit more force and a more positive shift feeling.
I've never had an issue shifting with the clutch. The only time the shifter hangs is after a QS. This is true even if I firmly hold the lever up and give the transmission more than enough time to find the next gear, the lever will still hang up. Usually I have to roll off the throttle a touch but sometimes it finds its neutral zone on its own after a few seconds.

2015 S1000RR
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 PM

I think a re-teach of the gears is needed before things are dismantled.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I think a re-teach of the gears is needed before things are dismantled.
Okay, I'm on the search for a GS911. Thank you for the help.

2015 S1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode