warranteed replacement question on left side engine housing cover - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:42 PM

Yeah the OEM cover should be sealed to the engine case regardless of the crash cover. I have GB racing covers on mine and have no issues on 2 bikes. 4 longer bolts to accomodate the crash cover and everything is fine. Sounds more to me they didn't do the job properly. They may try to blame to the crash cover for why it's leaking but it won't cause the leak.
CodeNameABK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Yeah the OEM cover should be sealed to the engine case regardless of the crash cover. I have GB racing covers on mine and have no issues on 2 bikes. 4 longer bolts to accomodate the crash cover and everything is fine. Sounds more to me they didn't do the job properly. They may try to blame to the crash cover for why it's leaking but it won't cause the leak.
Thanks for the confirmation Benny. If they give me a hard time, I will tell them that the tech expert at BMW Motorrad Australia has personally told me that the RG cover cant be the cause of oil leak
Now I am wondering, shouldnt the whole thing be covered under warranty?
bennymx likes this.

You can follow me on Youtube
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:25 PM

Well even if the bike was out of warranty, there is a warranty on current repairs so it should be honoured if it is found to be a fault they didn't rectify the first time. The left hand cover also has a rubber seal around the exit where the alternator wire protrudes. That also needs sealant on it.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Well even if the bike was out of warranty, there is a warranty on current repairs so it should be honoured if it is found to be a fault they didn't rectify the first time. The left hand cover also has a rubber seal around the exit where the alternator wire protrudes. That also needs sealant on it.
I went to the dealership today, they had a look and said they need time to open the engine case cover and fix it up and also order parts if required, which can then take another day. They couldnt do it today as they are fully booked so I will be going on Monday again. The leak is pretty minor and I am riding to Intermot this weekend, hope the leak doesnt get worse.

The bike has a 3yr warranty (I bought it on May under their second hand Premium Selection category). They also confirmed their repair has warranty and they are willing to do this under it as long as the issue is not entirely different than last time.

One consolation is I will be getting a 1200GSA as loan bike in the meantime : )
bennymx likes this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 AM

Thats a good outcome so far.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 PM

Hi @bennymx, sorry I forgot to update here for a while. Like I mentioned on previous post, I rode to Intermot and few other places in Germany and during the total 600kms ride, I could see the same one drop of oil on the bottom of case cover. I had to cancel my appointment with the BMW dealership as I couldnt go that day but I kept riding the bike as it was and recently even did a 1500kms ride and I dont see the oil drop/leak anymore. The case cover seems fully dry. Can it stop just like that? Wondering if I should still get it checked at BMW (I am not really confident if it would be done entirely for free) and also why try to fix if it aint broke

Also I had mailed R&G racing back then regarding the issue and they shipped me few spacers for free, saying that it might help. But now that I dont see the leak anymore I dont want to unnecessarily open it and possibly cause problems
bennymx likes this.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:17 PM

This is exactly why I don't even try to do these kinds of upgrades myself. I recently got R&G covers (the smaller metallic ones) and frame sliders and paid BMW to install them during the 600 mile service. This way I'm sure it's done correctly and can save me from a lot of hassle in case I make a mistake.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeNameABK View Post
Hi @bennymx, sorry I forgot to update here for a while. Like I mentioned on previous post, I rode to Intermot and few other places in Germany and during the total 600kms ride, I could see the same one drop of oil on the bottom of case cover. I had to cancel my appointment with the BMW dealership as I couldnt go that day but I kept riding the bike as it was and recently even did a 1500kms ride and I dont see the oil drop/leak anymore. The case cover seems fully dry. Can it stop just like that? Wondering if I should still get it checked at BMW (I am not really confident if it would be done entirely for free) and also why try to fix if it aint broke

Also I had mailed R&G racing back then regarding the issue and they shipped me few spacers for free, saying that it might help. But now that I dont see the leak anymore I dont want to unnecessarily open it and possibly cause problems
Well if you clean it well. Then ride and monitor the leak. If it stops leaking then leave it. If it starts again though it definitely needs to be fixed.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Well if you clean it well. Then ride and monitor the leak. If it stops leaking then leave it. If it starts again though it definitely needs to be fixed.
Thanks Benny. I dont see any oil these days so I will just leave it as it is and keep an eye on it. Just a bit surprised how it can stop all by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropole View Post
This is exactly why I don't even try to do these kinds of upgrades myself. I recently got R&G covers (the smaller metallic ones) and frame sliders and paid BMW to install them during the 600 mile service. This way I'm sure it's done correctly and can save me from a lot of hassle in case I make a mistake.
Installing these case covers are supposed to be pretty straight forward and its very simple to be honest. It did work without problems for few months too But yeah, I understand your point. I got the frame sliders installed by the dealership before delivery itself.
bennymx likes this.

Last edited by CodeNameABK; 11-21-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode