S1000RR vs S1000R frame question - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

S1000RR vs S1000R frame question

I am looking at a set of carbon frame protectors for my 2017 S1000R (single-R).

Everyone on eBay seems to indicate that what they have will fit every R and every RR.

Now that 100+ degree days are back, I remember one reason I sold my 2010 S1000RR...frame heat. But before I sell the bike, I will try the carbon frame gaurds...if I can find which ones fot my frame.

Is the R frame one revision behind the RR, or is it totally different, or are the relevant parts same-enough that the carbon guards will fit R and RR?

Ilmberger's site shows 09-11 and 12-14, but nothing more recent.

Any input is welcomed.

Thank you, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 PM

2016 and earlier R frames are the same as the 2010-14 RR bikes. In 2015 the RR changed, and in 2017 to R changed. I think. At least the bodywork is different. So now I'm not sure. I know where there is a 2018, probably will see it on the weekend, I'll check.

Just checked, the 2017 R is a different frame from the earlier version. I know the swingarm pivots re different to the RR, but don't know if the RR frame protectors will fit the 2017 R frame. So I'm no help at all. Let me go back to watching some old movie.

Last edited by skapan; 07-19-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Skapan--
Thanks for your efforts.

I figured there were some changes over the years...just no way of knowing where they broke out.

I contacted the seller, and will see what he says. If he says they will fit, maybe I will buy, and if they don't, hopefully PayPal will cover me.

Awful lot of variables in those two sentences, aren't there?

I enjoy the bike, but somewhat(significantly) less in Texas 100+-degree heat (which can go on for 6 months of the year).

My 2010 RR was worse, with the fairing boxing in the heat from the radiator and the exhaust and the frame would reach the water temp or more.

My 2014 Triumph Street Triple R was not as bad--still had an alloy frame, but naked bike plus less HP equals a fair bit less heat transmitted to the frame.

Again, any input is welcomed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 AM

I would have thought the guards would fit because the frames were not so much different on the sides. But that's just a guess. I see you guys have already checked the different frames for the corresponding years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode