Frame sliders - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
obvious running the bike in gear to clean chain saves hella lotta time.

Just kidding folks. Don't do this unless you want to lose a finger!
I knew a girl who as a child lost a couple fingers because her brother convinced her to put her hand on the chain of a bicycle and then spun the wheel

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post
I don't think skapan meant this was the only way to check the coolant but merely made a point of saying while the fairing is already off to do the install its an opportunity to also very easily check the coolant level.
Actually I just installed my sliders this week, and yes it makes really easy! In my case I couldn't see if the coolant was full or empty or anything in between so when I took the fairing off I saw it was below the low line and filled it up.

I ended up getting the Vortex sliders. For something like a frame slider it doesnt matter which brand to get as long it's from a reputable company and you like the look.

The install was actually difficult because A: the parts list was inaccurate. The name and parts were numbered wrong. And the measurements of the spacer was incorrect. I ended up mocking the parts all together and all was accounted for. B: the orientation of the brackets on both sides were wrong. They needed to be upside down relative to the diagram for it to fit between the opening in the fairings. I actually tried once, didnt work, put my fairings on, called revzilla and they told me to send it back. Before I sent it back I thought I would try it again and yep, upside down works!

Anyways, for $90 it undercuts all name brands by at least $50-100. Cant have everything I guess

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:

I ended up getting the Vortex sliders. For something like a frame slider it doesnt matter which brand to get as long it's from a reputable company and you like the look.

Anyways, for $90 it undercuts all name brands by at least $50-100. Cant have everything I guess

I'm sure this will incite some responses telling you that indeed the brand does matter. There is significant differences in not only the shape and size but also the material used to make the slider as you spend less or more on them. This inherently does affect how the slider holds up during a crash and also what it could cause the bike to do (slide or flip). Ideally you want a slider that when the bike goes down and the slider wears the only part you're replacing is the puck and none of the mounting hardware. I've had a set of Vortex sliders on my GSX-R 750. Low sided and sure enough except for some other minor cosmetic scratches on the exhaust can and the extreme low part of the fairing the slider took the brunt of the fall. It wore down to a 45 degree angle but the only part i had to replace was the puck itself.

Other sliders may not do their job as nicely and if they grab or dig into a soft surface say goodbye to about all of your fairings/clip ons/mainstay etc etc as the bike cartwheels over and over. So while some people will tell you it doesn't matter what brand and to just get what your budget allows is not always correct. You may sometimes be better to spend more and get a better quality product that fits to the bike better and keeps you from replacing unnecessary mounting parts or plastics when your bike has yard saled.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Elk

Quote:
. . . if they grab or dig into a soft surface say goodbye to about all of your fairings/clip ons/mainstay etc . . .
True, of course. Unfortunately, whether your bike flips in a crash is a matter of luck, type of fall, and the surface upon which you fall. Bikes often slide on asphalt but are more likely to tumble when they contact grass as some part digs in - a grip, footpeg, axel or frame slider, whatever.

Given the randomness as to whether the bike flips or not it does not appear slider brand choice is much of a determining factor.
SimonUK likes this.

'15 S1000RR
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Something that protrudes 3 or 4 inches, like the R&G or T Rex parts are great for the street. Tipovers at 0 mph are totally saved. For the track I would do something almost flush with the bodywork, like the short Woodcraft pucks. On the R I used the Vortex parts and cut down Woodcraft pucks so that everything is more or less flush. Kind of ugly but functional, as it makes for less chance of a flipover when sliding.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Elk

I follow you thinking, but the California Superbike School reports good results with R&G on the track.

'15 S1000RR
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:33 PM

Garage
In reality, it think the bottom line comes down to pure luck as the whether your bike flips or not! I had a 50mph lowside(on the road), my R&G sliders took the brunt of it, bike did not flip.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure this will incite some responses telling you that indeed the brand does matter. There is significant differences in not only the shape and size but also the material used to make the slider as you spend less or more on them. This inherently does affect how the slider holds up during a crash and also what it could cause the bike to do (slide or flip). Ideally you want a slider that when the bike goes down and the slider wears the only part you're replacing is the puck and none of the mounting hardware. I've had a set of Vortex sliders on my GSX-R 750. Low sided and sure enough except for some other minor cosmetic scratches on the exhaust can and the extreme low part of the fairing the slider took the brunt of the fall. It wore down to a 45 degree angle but the only part i had to replace was the puck itself.

Other sliders may not do their job as nicely and if they grab or dig into a soft surface say goodbye to about all of your fairings/clip ons/mainstay etc etc as the bike cartwheels over and over. So while some people will tell you it doesn't matter what brand and to just get what your budget allows is not always correct. You may sometimes be better to spend more and get a better quality product that fits to the bike better and keeps you from replacing unnecessary mounting parts or plastics when your bike has yard saled.
I said "it doesn't matter which brand to get as long it's from a reputable company" but you chose to disregard the 2nd half of that statement. The reputable companies have done their research on which material is best for the function of the slider. No-name ones most likely just use cheaper material that look like it might do the job but in the end could just be ABS plastic or something. Vortex has been around for a long time and is involved in racing. I'm sure the function of their sliders is fine.

Sliders that sit flush or under the fairing are the safest as it has less chance to catch and flip the bike. *Frame* sliders are designed to protect the frame and not the fairings.

I couldn't justify spending double on something like R&Gs, and plus I think the "aero" sliders are gimmicky and don't look nice.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Elk

Quote:
. . . for $90 it [Vortex frame skiders] undercuts all name brands by at least $50-100.
?

I just looked. R&G, for example, are ~ $96.

'15 S1000RR
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
?

I just looked. R&G, for example, are ~ $96.
For 2017 and on its $96. For 2014-2016 its $223 on Revzilla

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode