How do I find out if my HP4 has a race ECU? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regulusracing View Post
There are others on this forum that had to purchase a second unlock code because of the 30 day expiration. BMW (not the dealer) would not yield on this. I see you're from New Zealand. Maybe different requirements in different countries? Also, I'm speaking about a purchase in 2013, so maybe there have been changes since then.
+1 I remember reading Larry Pegram had an issue as well when he raced the S1000RR in the USA a few years back.

Also seem to recall something about saving something to a thumb drive, to avoid problems going forward, but have no comprehension of the details.

So I'm also leaning towards an open mind, that maybe USA policy for BMW Motorrad, is different, due in part, perhaps because of the EPA vs. the rest of the world????
AndyHP4 likes this.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulusracing View Post
There are others on this forum that had to purchase a second unlock code because of the 30 day expiration. BMW (not the dealer) would not yield on this. I see you're from New Zealand. Maybe different requirements in different countries? Also, I'm speaking about a purchase in 2013, so maybe there have been changes since then.
I got the unlock codes from alpha Racing Germany, they get these codes from a BMW dealer itself:
*** selling on behalf of Zweirad Huber, D-83567 Unterreit (official BMW Motorrad partner, Germany) ***
Yes I live in New Zealand, having a European HP4 version here (bought it in New Zealand) and I ordered everything from alpha Racing Germany too, but the local BMW dealer is activating these things here - no issue at all.
Still even any US dealer will connect through ISTA/P to the German BMW server - no difference in any country I am aware off so far - but again, USA is different due to EPA since you guys can't use the RCK2 kit for instance with a stock ECU where the European version could...you never know.

But if you source your stuff from the real alpha Racing guys in Germany, no issues at all. These codes are coming on a USB drive actually yes. Alpha said why to me why should they time limited, they are connected to your VIN so up to you when you use them....

I just helped one guy here in the forum to source all these codes and items from Germany over a dealer friend - so if you need anything to the normal price (even without these 19% local tax), just drop me an eMail
5150 Pops likes this.

2014 HP4 comp.
2007 Yamaha Mio
1999 R1 "The One"

Last edited by AndyHP4; 04-08-2017 at 01:08 AM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:25 AM

They are not time limited. Ordered via the vin and locked to the vin.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHP4 View Post
I got the unlock codes from alpha Racing Germany, they get these codes from a BMW dealer itself:
*** selling on behalf of Zweirad Huber, D-83567 Unterreit (official BMW Motorrad partner, Germany) ***
Yes I live in New Zealand, having a European HP4 version here (bought it in New Zealand) and I ordered everything from alpha Racing Germany too, but the local BMW dealer is activating these things here - no issue at all.
Still even any US dealer will connect through ISTA/P to the German BMW server - no difference in any country I am aware off so far - but again, USA is different due to EPA since you guys can't use the RCK2 kit for instance with a stock ECU where the European version could...you never know.

But if you source your stuff from the real alpha Racing guys in Germany, no issues at all. These codes are coming on a USB drive actually yes. Alpha said why to me why should they time limited, they are connected to your VIN so up to you when you use them....

I just helped one guy here in the forum to source all these codes and items from Germany over a dealer friend - so if you need anything to the normal price (even without these 19% local tax), just drop me an eMail
Again, I purchased in 2013. There was no thumb drive with an unlock code or ECU code included with the purchase of the unlock code. BMW (dealer) hooked your bike mounted, blank ECU to their computer system and downloaded the ECU code directly onto the ECU. Maybe things are different now. Maybe the rules are different depending on the country. That's all part of the problem; no concrete answers, just real world experiences both positive and negative.

I guess this is all just a push. I and others know of specific people that ran into the expiration date (30 days), and had to purchase a second unlock code, per BMW's instructions. You say that's wrong. Great! We should just tell everyone not to worry about time frames. That certainly didn't work out for some; it in fact cost them an extra $1000. I'm just saying it has happened before, and I'm trying to save others the hassle, and a substantial amount of money. It guess maybe it makes sense to error on the side of "damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead!" "It's only money!"

Last edited by regulusracing; 04-08-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
They are not time limited. Ordered via the vin and locked to the vin.
See my last post. Although this may be correct in some countries, I have seen just the opposite here in the states.

You are correct that the ECU/Unlock code is VIN specific, and is tied together at the time of order. I have not argued that point at all.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:46 PM

At this time regulus either can be done. Ordered via the vin through BMW online system. Then it can be downloaded from the net into ISTA and loaded onto the bike. It can also be put on a USB and loaded into the bike via ISTA. The time frame thing I am unaware of and I am not arguing that fact. Just sharing my experiences also.
AndyHP4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode