BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 RR Hard to find neutral/sticky clutch

33K views 101 replies 40 participants last post by  V3rbatim 
#1 · (Edited)
Some bikes it is hard to find neutral below 1000kms. Also the clutch seems inconsistent or sticky prior to 1000kms.

Lubrication of a clutch pack that is not run in can have a increased drag torque which results in neutral being hard to find.

Replacing the clutch is not the fix. The clutch will be worn in in the first 1000kms which will make it easier to find neutral.

EDIT October 2019
Since August production a oil control valve has been fitted into the end of the input shaft to help with clutch separation. This can be retrofitted onto previous bikes prior to August production. A modified clutch pack has been introduced since September production which will replace the old parts. The friction plates have been optimised.

#41 ·
there has been a PUMA released on this for some time. Here is a posting of it and the associated part numbers.

Reactions: bennymx and Elk
#42 ·
The important part to this is the ATTENTION alert.

Get the clutch cover extremely centered. It is on dowel pins, but even doweled pinning a cover can create some slight alignment issues.

I have already been into my clutches checking for wear. What I found is that if you install the cover back on with all the screws slightly loose, PULL in the clutch lever, this will center up the clutch cover to the center pull release pin shaft. Then I torqued the clutch cover down. Then pull/release the lever and feel how smooth it is.

Reactions: A B and bennymx
#43 ·
This sounds very similar to the issue they had with the K1300, too much oil to the clutch plates creates excessive drag. Wow, new plates for everyone! Add the new oil cooler, new front calipers, new carbon wheels, new front forks, they must be losing money on every bike at this point.

#47 ·
My bike is in the shop now for a misfiring issue that has the cat glowing, the oil cooler issue, now I can add this to the list and maybe for 2020, I have a bike that operates properly!

Reactions: bennymx
#50 ·
I got a call today and they said the issue with my difficult neutral is because my clutches are warped and BMW denied the claim. "I said how the hell am I going to warp clutches on a bike with 1100 miles? There is even a PUMA on this. That is the only reason I'm complaining. I thought it was me. I never had a clutch issue on my 2013, but I'm having, multiple on the 2020." The folks at Bob's BMW are good people and I know that they will try to set me right but BMWAG is tripping. This bike has had a lot of problems and I'm pissed that they would say "customer pay" for something I KNOW I didn't do. Don't include launch control if it can warp clutches. Increase your quality control on new products... Man... the management must have changed because this is a real crap show.

Reactions: A B
#51 ·
You may want to check the leaking brake calipers topic mate. The crap show has been ongoing for some time.
My theory is that the a-holes at the HQ got greedy when they saw the demand skyrocketing and decided to lessen quality control to boost production volume.
There are not enough posts about the issues on social media to really make bmw give a f.

#52 ·
You may want to check the leaking brake calipers topic mate. The crap show has been ongoing for some time.
My theory is that the a-holes at the HQ got greedy when they saw the demand skyrocketing and decided to lessen quality control to boost production volume.
There are not enough posts about the issues on social media to really make bmw give a f.
It's really unfortunate... I'm beyond disappointed.

#54 ·
Well, the service manager that called me said he's gonna get back on the phone with BMW and try to get a better outcome... Wait and see I guess.

#55 ·
If the dealer is on your side I can't see why BMW wouldn't cover it. At my job I'm a master service tech and If I tell a manufacturer that something should be warrantied, they cover it. Many times If I feel the issue is not a manufacturers defect i will let them know so that a case number can be issued and if the customer decides to go somewhere else for warranty on the same issue the manufacturer will see my notes and call me if needed.

I feel your dealer should be the one to tell BMW something was defective. Now, from what I understand BMW is able to see if you did standing burnouts and who knows what else. With that said, If you didn't abuse the bike I can't see how you could warp the clutch.

#56 · (Edited)
Exactly. The bike had less than 1300 miles on it. Got it in July, took it for 600 mile service then took it in again in November for this recall and glowing cat. I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt. But I definitely will be loosing my stack of they try pin this ish on me.

#59 ·
So went to the shop today and the service manager said that the person that he initially spoke with wasn't familiar with the puma, but they cleared it up. My clutch is warped and steels are burnted out. Apparently some models the clutch is being starved for oil because of the clutch redesign. So BMW is going to cover the the new clutch pack version and oil regulator to retrofit under the stated puma. hopefully they have the parts soon and then that should be it.

Reactions: Fatal
#67 ·
Mine was manufactured on 10/19 and neutral is a pita to find. I miss it regularly. I have less than 200 miles on it so I am hopeful that it gets better. I am more worried about the harsh downshifting without using the clutch. Up Shift is butter smooth but downshifting feels like im driving a tank!

#71 ·
So last Thursday, May 7th, I finally got a call from the dealer that they have received the parts for my clutch retrofit. Utter travisty that it took this long. Now waiting to see how long it takes the dealer to get my bike right. Yesterday marks 6 months they had it in total... They officially had it longer than I had the bike in my garage because of "parts backorder". Damn man... This **** sucks.

Reactions: bmwbadboy
#72 ·
So last Thursday, May 7th, I finally got a call from the dealer that they have received the parts for my clutch retrofit. Utter travisty that it took this long. Now waiting to see how long it takes the dealer to get my bike right. Yesterday marks 6 months they had it in total... They officially had it longer than I had the bike in my garage because of "parts backorder". Damn man... This **** sucks.
Sucks. Refuse it and get a refund

#74 ·
So I finally got my bike back on May 21st, 6+ months after it went into the shop. So Getting it from the dealer, I let it warm up and instantly notice that there is ZERO play in my clutch lever. This is after the tech says, "Keep an eye on your clutch free play". Eh, no biggie right? The bike is riding great until I come to a stoplight. STILL CAN'T GET INTO NEUTRAL! I WAS SOOOOOOO PISSED. But I said F it, I'm going home. So, the bike sat Friday, Saturday, I put it on stands and put it neutral, and warm it up. And still, can't find neutral after the bike is hot, on stands. I put it in 1st and pull the clutch in, the back wheel is still spinning. I'm like Huh? I cut it off, put it in neutral, start it, the wheel doesn't spin, put it second, clutch in, the wheel still spins. Then I remembered a while back @bennymx said the manual is wrong about the amount of oil that is in the case. So, today, I drain about a quart, quart 1/2 of oil. Start the bike pull the clutch wheel stops in 1st, 2nd, let out the clutch, wheel spins, pull in, wheel stops. And low and behold, I can find neutral way better (My head hurts). So, my bike had WAY TOO much oil in it and that was contributing to the significant clutch drag and inability to find neutral. I don't know if they changed the oil during the clutch replacement, but most likely it was overfilled from the 600-mile service, the bike had 1,090 miles when I got it back. I'm going to give them an earful on Tuesday when they open up. I'm glad I know a little bit about wrenching my own stuff and the info that is put out on this board. Gonna go for a ride and see how it feels at stoplights finding neutral.

#75 ·
^ Were you going by the sight glass? It would have told you the oil level. I never get dealer techs that over/under fills oil. it's like the most basic service. Happens way too common.

#76 ·
It was just a hunch. I never added oil, the first service was done by the dealer. After I let the oil out, finding neutral was almost magical and no clutch drag. You would think this would have been a basic thing. I let out about a quart or so and the sight glass is still full.

#77 ·
Personally I have never put in a specific amount of oil. My method is to fill the sight glass till its almost full then run the bike for 5 mins. Turn it off and let it sit for 5 mins. Then top it up to red circle. Same goes for fork oil. Most of the time there is an air gap so you suck out anything that was too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.