BMW S1000RR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

705K views 4K replies 202 participants last post by  sro 
#1 · (Edited)
So, today I'm told...the '19 RR will have a new chassis, be smaller, have new suspension, probably new exhaust, new swingarm (inverted, like the HP4 Race?) and TFT. Probably some notable engine changes are coming, as well. I asked how would this affect price and the answer was...BMW is very good at holding the line with price when making generational changes. So, what the hell...I said put me down for a Motorsport '19. I love my '17, but probably won't be able to resist the siren song of the next generation.

:grin2:

#2 ·
I agree if the 2018 has no significant changes the 2019 RR will. I don't doubt your source - but honestly I think it is only his/her speculation.

It's certainly not a stretch to say new chassis - smaller - new suspension and all the other stuff - because that is what typically happens.

I'm also looking to get the next generation RR - for me it really depends on how well my body holds up the next year or so. Lately I've not been doing that well in that department - arthritis in my neck may actually force me to retire from riding altogether.

#3 ·
Thanks for boosting the economy and making cheap used bikes available! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
That does sound about right - lighter, more power, tft display, etc all seem on point. I hope it isn’t too much smaller. The real question is - will BMW pull off what they did with the first gen rr when it just leapfrogged and shocked the entire field? What would they need to do to really shake the tree? I’d love for them to kick Ducati and Aprilia ass.

#8 ·
That does sound about right - lighter, more power, tft display, etc all seem in point. I hope it isn’t too much smaller. The real question is - will BMW pull off what they did with the first gen rr when it just leapfrogged and shocked the entire field? What would they need to do to really shake the tree? I’d love for them to kick Ducati and Aprilia ass.
It's not going to happen. We are pretty much at a saturation point as far as engine power and electronics go for the street. They can strap on a motogp motor that makes 240hp but we see how the HP Race has panned out with a engine rebuild every 3000 miles.

#21 · (Edited)
Well I found out today from my brother that BMW is going to be financing the 2017's with no interest. Not sure how many are left but he called me this morning to see if I was interested in one. I decided against one as the 19s will be a new generation build. So with that said I'm now on the fence about buying a 2017 CBR1000RR SP. I took one out last week and I have to admit it was almost boring compared to the S1000RR. With a weight of 435lbs wet it felt like I was actually riding a 600 but the riding position felt comfy like my S1000RR.

Afew weeks ago I took the S1000RR for a spur of the moment ride to the White Mountains to do some riding. Every year for the past 5 years I have asked a number of riders to join me only getting the same answer Oh man next year Creeps money is tight or I don't have time. This year I said screw it and went up alone staying in a hostel for 30 bucks a night and doing some good riding around the White Mountains. I made it a point to think about my body, riding position and a number of things that go with riding a sport bike like this for a long period of time.

One of the main things I love about the BMW is the size. I'm 5'9 about 210lbs and I feel very comfortable for the most part on my S1000RR. With the new generation coming along and the very good chance they are going to make it smaller and lighter it may not be the bike for me any longer because of the type of riding I do most of the time and that's more or less spirited road riding. I love the track days but it seems that as I get older and poorer we as a group aren't doing as many as we use to.

So getting back to the Honda. Like I said its such a great machine I couldn't find anything to say about the bike I didn't like, almost boring because the engine sounds so turbine like there's no crazy noise like the BMW which sounds like it has rocks in it and its going to blow up any second. The riding position feels compatible to the BMW where as the Yamaha is more aggressive. I have also thought about the ZX10 but for some reason its looks have never caught my eye. Its dated looking to me and far less interesting than the other liter bikes.

I haven't rode the GSXR1000 but from what I've seen and heard it has a great motor, good chassis, good electronics but shity brakes and the overall quality is lacking compared to a CBR or S1000RR.

Okay with all that said I can also grab the Honda for a good price and that's another plus. Right now the only issue I have is my shoulder but that is something I can deal with. Back and neck issues aren't an issue yet but the one thing that I consider important is the size of the bike. I've owned big as in the latest gen ZX14R's, and older gen 2012 CBR1000RR and I've discovered that a good size liter bike meets all my riding needs.

If I end up buying the 2017 CBR1000RR SP I can only hope it will give me the goosebumps that my BMW does..

Of course this is all speculation but I think its fair to say that the new 2019 BMW S1000RR will certainly be more aggressive, lighter. smaller and unfortunately more expensive and that will be another factor in my decision not to wait for one and go ahead for the CBR...

Creeps
>:)

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Going by the "old" spy pics and the rumored 750cc version this looks like it could be part of the skinny'er look for the 2019 version. Lights is to small for me on spy pics but 750cc version lights i could handle if they do go this way. (1000cc pictured on book cover attached)

Hope they sort the heat transfer thru the frame on new 2019 model but its good thou in the winter months riding and will be missed.

TFT will be new standard and just hope it will be color full version and not monochrome but if they do go that way the old sweeping needle will be missed. Connectivity will also be the new standard same as the GS versions.

I like the muffler look (smaller then the 2017/18 GSXR's) but hate the catalytic converter size on it. (UK standards.. phfff!!)

All old news/details but still sure the Germans will surprise us/everyone like they did in 2008/2009

#24 ·
"Hope they sort the heat transfer thru the frame on new 2019 model but its good thou in the winter months riding and will be missed."

But if the frame didn't absorb/dissipate it, it would have to go somewhere else, mine seems to run on the edge of overheating as is.
I was initially concerned with it, but it diminished some after break-in, and I would only notice it with jeans on.

#29 ·
Making big power means making big heat, there's no way around it. Physics. And, as you hinted at, conduction is FAR more efficient at dissipating heat than convection (via air), and heat will always take the easiest path.

#32 ·
While there is potentially a good reason for avoiding first-year production, I have bought first-year motorcycles, cars, etc. many times. I have yet to be burned and have had a great deal of fun with the latest toy.

Buy whatever you find to have the greatest yuck/buck ratio - first-year, later year, used, whatever.

#34 ·
Actually I just converted from Arai to AGV. I used to have constant neck and shoulder pain. Mainly due to the excess weight on my head combined with the drag while riding. Since riding with the AGV my neck pains have almost gone away. I still get a random sore neck, but it's most likely due to sleeping weird.

The way I see it is I'm like a bobble head. The heavier my head is, the more it bobs. The more it bobs, the more strain it puts on your neck.

#36 ·
The source I alluded to in the original post said - when I asked about a CF frame - that it was unlikely BMW would go that route with the mainstream RR, because if you damage a CF frame it's more expensive to repair than a normal frame. Or words to that effect. Plus I think it would raise the price of the RR noticeably, which is not BMW's "plan", except in unique cases like the HP4.

Just speculating...

#37 · (Edited)
Good call, I didn't think about the crash durability. Could absolutely be a deal breaker.

While I do agree, CF components have historically been higher priced, I'm not familiar with the true production costs, so I can't say that pricing is prohibitive. $500 more is not necessarily cost prohibitive, as we all paid a premium for our bikes if you're looking at "just getting a bike." Could have gotten a Honda for a couple thousand less. Plus a CF Frame would make the S1000RR that much more desireable.

BMW has already ramped up CF production in it's automobiles, and it's my understanding that the the automobile and motorcycle groups at BMW are deliberately kept next to each other.

I'm curious how exposed the frame is in a crash. Perhaps if you designed it in a way that the impact areas are guarded by fairings or other accessories, it could be feasible. Doesn't frame damage typically result in a total loss, regardless of material, for a MC anyways?

Keep in mind, carbon fiber can be repaired: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/crash-your-carbon-fiber-i3-ev-heres-how-bmw-will-fix-it/

#40 ·
For sure they can take some weight off with a new exhaust system. The current muffler alone weighs a ton.

And shrinking the bike, which is almost a given, will shed a proportional amount of weight, and this is likely to be where the new RR jumps to the next level of design over its competitors. TFT already exists, so a smaller RR would qualify as the "wow" factor, I think.

#52 ·
Nate Kern was telling me that he was working with BMW to test something super amazing... But wouldn't tell me what... But I'm definitely excited to see what they produce!! He definitely seemed jazzed about it, and he was the one who helped test/ develop the HP Race

#43 ·
Could be as small as the RSV ZX or CBR. Those literbikes are 600 size.

#50 ·
should just start a rumour that "The Carbon fibre frame" will/can be mass produced and will feature on the 2019/20 Gen 3 version ... imagine that, it will turn the 1000cc world upside down like in the 2009 launch of the S1000RR or may it feature a Hybrid system (electric power boost & recycling)

#51 ·
F__k some electric hybrid! Nobody wants that. If you want rumors to start flying: A mass produced HP4 Race for 30K in '19. :grin2: Every S 1000RR owner would be all in. Insurance rates on the new bikes will skyrocket. And old bikes will be had for pennies on the dollar. :wink2:

#54 ·
As far as I know manufacturers report HP at the crank, not the rear wheel. So dyno charts are pointless IMO. But even with cars BMW is known to underestimate HP their vehicles make. Most other manufacturers are the opposite.

#55 ·
BMW is pretty spot on with their HP numbers. There is a -ve error of < 7% at most much like the speedo error on most motorcycles :D

#64 ·
Russ was saying ducati is planning an electric bike for 2019

Maybe the ERR will be a real thing...
I find the tech of that and Teslas interesting....but I'd never buy either. I don't know that battery technology will give anything close to the energy density of gas/I.C.E. technology. Plus, they're heavy. Look at the weights of the bikes at the IOM TT Zero vs the Superbikes, and how long the actual race is.

Now, a rechargable scooter just to ride the 2.9 miles for me each way to work, now that is interesting to me..... :)

#67 ·
While a one second 0-60 MPH motorcycle would be a hoot, electric will not get us there.

Our current high performance road bikes are already traction limited at WOT. Adding more power will not improve acceleration, it will only increase the amount traction control kicks in.

#72 ·
LOL

Do you actually own a HP4 Race???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.