BMW S1000RR Forum banner

four-session track day

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  wfo439 
#1 ·
I was all excited for VIR today with PRE. But after watching weather closely I unpacked and stayed home.
My buddies are there at the track now, it has been raining cats and dogs and the track won't be good until after lunch time.

Would you drive 90min for just 4 sessions?

#3 ·
I did go at lunch time, weather got pretty nice. Then my RR would not start. Good waste of my day.

#5 ·
It happens, part of the track day experience. Makes the sunny days all the more valuable. I drove to COTA in Austin (2.5hrs drive), got a hotel, then proceeded to crash on Turn 1, first lap, first session at 8am. Picked bike up, went home, reviewed the video and was back out the next weekend.

If I hope to ever get good at this sport, I've learned you have to stick with it, even when things don't go as planned.

#11 · (Edited)
Would you drive 90min for just 4 sessions?
Absolutely! When I was racing. it was mostly 2 five lap practices and 2 seven lap races. Often included an all nighter to install the rebuilt engine. (TZ250) Or getting off at 02:30 and driving all night to get to Willow Springs. My most ambitious day was 3 bikes, 6 five lap practices and 42 laps of racing. I was in shape, competitive in all races. I was so sore and tired after it was the first last and only time.

I've been limiting myself to 4 sessions due to conditioning and the times I've gone longer, there has been no improvement. Quickest laps always come the 4th session and I leave happy, sore and the rubber side still down. :smile2:

Edit: There is no point in riding around just to ride around going slower and reinforcing bad habits. I still can't get a handle on the "track day mentality." The only point in riding a track is to go quicker than the last time. :grin2: The: "just have fun part does not compute." "Fun" = beating your PB. At least for me. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Edit: There is no point in riding around just to ride around going slower and reinforcing bad habits. I still can't get a handle on the "track day mentality." The only point in riding a track is to go quicker than the last time. :grin2: The: "just have fun part does not compute." "Fun" = beating your PB. At least for me. :rolleyes:
I do 7 sessions on a track day and last 3 have my best lap times. I'm beat and sore the next 1-2 days. I do use first 2 sessions to work on technique/line/weak areas.

It just seemed like a waste of time/money to only get 4 sessions. Too bad I did not get to ride at all. It ended up being a great day for my friends. They got 5 sessions in afternoon.

Reactions: wfo439
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.