BMW S1000RR Forum banner

ADVICE needed: Street bike as occasional track bike

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Jebac 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a 2015 RR with DDC that I'm thinking to use as a track bike. I have my old 2011 track fairings, that fit on my 2013; that could possibly fit on the 15.
Anyways Im at a weird stage in my life. Lack of track knowledge and finances limit my options. I've done 4 different tracks in 2 years. Living in Chicago, we have to ride out an hour to hit a few twisties. Crazy work schedule rarely allow me to go out and ride with friends.
So I'm thinking of tracking my bike or buying a 600 for $4000, selling my BMW, and using the rest of the money for crashes. My worry is that the BMW crash will cost more than a r6 crash. What do you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Just to comment on the track fairings. My 2012 sharkskinz body work with a matched carbon belly did not fit on my 2016. Well the upper and the tail section fit well but the lower does not match up. I probably could have cut up the lower and made it work, but I didn't want to hack up a carbon fiber belly pan. Also I swap between track and street fairings routinely and didn't want the extra hassle. I ended up with new body work.

#3 ·
I believe if you are determined and careful trimming the left side of a 1st/2nd generation "track fairing" lower, it will work on the 3rd gen bikes.
@bennymx or @skapan might know with a little more certainty.

*If it were me, having that set of track fairings already, I would certainly give it try.*
Having said that...in my experience I would NOT use the RR (if it was my only bike) on the track, until I had as much of the street stuff taken off (ALL lighting, rear seat, passenger pegs, horn too. Then fit case savers, a 2nd hand ebay fuel tank ($200), different muffler (scratched up 2nd hand OEM, or scratched up slip-on from ebay) and track bodywork.

If you don't have as much limited free time, and liquidity, you may find it best to simply go the other route that you mentioned. I guess it's matter of how much you think, you'll miss having the ability to cruise the street on a motorcycle, whenever the mood strikes you.

#8 ·
Just clarifying, I'm wasn't trying to push you toward not using the RR.
From personal experience, I can say the 3rd generation bikes crash really well. The first time I had all the lights taped up, but signals off, OEM bodywork. 2nd time track bodywork.
It's not about thinking you will crash, but preparing for the least amount of expense to correct whatever damage MIGHT be sustained at the track. Riding on the street is different, IF you ride with the restraint the law demands. Going to a trackday, you know you are going to be experiencing a lot more speed in consistent sustained cycles. Probability of a crash at a trackday, is not a forgone conclusion, but it could be very costly cosmetically, due in part to the elevated speeds, lack of experience, lack of other's skill/restraint (me), etc.
If the parts aren't of use at a trackday, and don't cause problems by removing them, I simply suggest you do so, rather than have to find....new headlights ~$750 each.
Good case savers will be just as important, in the event of a potential crash. One pea gravel introduced through a ground/cracked OEM engine cover, and that engine is done.

#4 ·
What I don't get is how people get all worried about riding there "street" bike at the track because they are afraid to crash it. There are a million more things out on the "street" that will cause you to crash and ruin your bike, but I don't see you to worried about those things. The only thing that is going to cause you to crash at the track is yourself. So if you have even a decent head on your shoulders, pay attention to what you are doing, there is no reason to even talk about crashing at the track.

With that said......I am all for for having track fairings (for my street bike), and just swapping them out. But I wouldn't be selling the s1k for an r6 just because your afraid to crash the BMW. It sounds like you can make the older fairings work with a little work to the lower, so I would give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

#6 ·
i hear ya brother. the bmw would be on the track with track fairings no questions asked. my concern with riding the bmw on the track and wrecking it, would that it would be an expensive crash versus a 600cc crash.
on the track, i would push myself to improve myself. realistically there are avg joes and professionals that crash on the track as well. later ill look up how to add quick snap on lights on the track body for street rides.

#5 ·
If you are outright planning for crashes, it sounds as if you should be considering a "race bike" and racing. The local club races are the place to be going 10/10ths.

I don't have specific plans in place for crashes that have not happened. You can convert your '15 into a track bike in 10 minutes. Unplug the headlights, remove mirrors and tape up the taillight. Good to go. No trophies or winners on a track day. Change your mindset. Ride like you have to be at work the next day because you do. You won't get the thrill of a race day on a track day but you will still have fun! :wink2: Use the '15! :grin2:

Reactions: L8Apex
#10 ·
The earlier race fairings won't fit without MAJOR work. Don't bother. Sell them, and get a set of those Chinese street plastics for $600. Half the price of race glass and already painted, good for track AND street. The fact that you have race glass and have done a few track days makes me thing that perhaps you've had some instruction? If not, I would suggest a few days with a good school, either on your bike or theirs. With a higher level of confidence in your skills you'll approach the track day as a learning experience rather than a place to crash. Just my thoughts, and yes I'd track the RR over an R6 or some other bike.

#13 ·
+1.

I'm doing the same. S1000rr as a street/track bike. I agree with others - make the bike as cheap to repair as possible. Doesnt matter how ugly it is. In hindsight I wish I had switched over my tank to a crappy 2nd hand tank (THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE AF!) and gotten tail fairings - but I recently highsided at my track on the 16' rr. Its going to cost me roughly 1K in used parts. (Bike flipped once then slid) I'm also pretty good at fiberglass/bodywork so I'll be able to fix the scratches in my tank and cracked track fairings myself.

#14 ·
Well, if finances are a concern (and when are they not?) then honestly we should all be at the track on something like an R6. They are cheap to buy; cheap parts readily available used; and the capability of a mid-bore sport bike well exceed 99.9% of everyone that will read this post. If finances are a concern. If motorcycle money isn't as much of a concern, and you can afford what you want and not just what you need, then there's no doubt in my mind that the S1000RR is one of the safest and most fun bikes you could ride at the track.

The other thing I'll add is that if you ride properly on the street, then you're riding with lots of margin and no where near the limits of you or traction. On the track, you're there to push your limits and you'll be riding nearer to the limits of traction. Also, you'll be riding around others that will be doing the same thing. So I think it shows good judgement to be worried about the inevitability of putting your precious ride on the ground there.

#17 ·
@NOLA Just out of curiosity, was your crash in the 1st or 2nd session?. In Nor Cal track day providers always warn about slick conditions 1st and possibly 2nd sessions depending on how early in the year it is. There are always multiple crashes 1st session despite the warnings. I tend to wait for the 3rd and 4th sessions to cut "hot laps." That's just me not wanting to gamble since it is not a "race day."

#18 ·
Neither. It was the last session before lunch. The problem was that it was a grey cold day and the track surface wasn't warming up. The factory Metzler's also didn't seem to heat as well as the tires that I usually run. But at the end of the day, it was all on me. I obviously pushed harder than the conditions would allow.

It did lead to some interesting discussions about how to safely get heat in tires in bad track conditions. You have to push to get heat, but not in the wrong places. For example, ABS and traction control obviously allow for hard near vertical acceleration and deceleration, which are often overlooked sources of heat.

#19 ·
A crash on your 2015 S1000RR will definitely cost MUCH more than if you crashed a $4000 R6.

I picked up a wrecked 2015 and rebuilt it, and believe me, OEM parts are not only $$$$$, but hard to come by. There just isn't as big of a market for parts since the platform is relatively new when compared to older CBRs, R6s, Gixxers, etc.

Most crashes end up being lowsides, and unless the bike tumbles at all, the only damage should really be to the plastics. A good set of sliders will help mitigate this. I say keep the S1000RR and invest in some track fairings and slide protection and call it a day.

#20 ·
can anyone confirm that the previous gen s1000rr sharkskinz track fairings will fit on a 2015?
I bought used 2011 sharkskinz fairings, that fit just fine on my 2013 (except the catalytic converter didnt allow the belly pan to fit)
Wondering if i can use the previous generation on my 2015.

i will find out friday for sure :() :)

#22 ·
I removed the mirror rubber and the top slid down snug. However, the bolt down points do not line up near any holes, except the protruding mounting piece (no idea what it's called)

Now it's snug

No bolts to attach too

#23 ·
Here is the result. The tail fairing mounting points lined up nice, except the top bolts didn't sink all the way down.

Throttle side, looking down at the coolant tank. The fairing hugs it nicely.

Looking at the radiator

And of course here is the shot, wishing that the fairings lined to any of the mounting points

#24 ·
Just an update:
at the track, i pitted with a buddy of mine and started to talk to the guy next us. He let me pit with him under his tent. met his family. **sounds like a great love movie** He ended up telling me that he will sell me a 06 sv650 for a good deal. Picked it up friday. Bike has 14k miles and an inch of dust. All fairings missing (because its naked ;), came along with vortex rear sets and a zx10r rear shock (sprung for 200lbs rider, im 170) and a few original pieces (passenger seat, passenger handle, passenger/exhaust rearset, mirrors, black tank pieces, some other weird parts, and a bunch of extra screws).

Posted up in my local track looking for track fairings, picked up upper and lower fairing for a $120, still need tail section. funny thing is that the lower fairing either blocks the kickstand or the kickstand needs to removed.

unfortunately, i wont be able to use it for the street, since the headlight wiring is missing. the tail section has majority of its wiring.

look at me just talking about a bike i just bought. forgot all about the bmw :(* psyke. Did you know bikes dont have steering dampers?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.