BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Test Weekend With New Rubber

5K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  Dylan Code 
#1 ·
So I have been on Dunlop race rubber for the track for the past 4 years. Decided to give the almighty Pirelli race rubber a try this weekend for the last race of the season. SC1 front and rear.

I got setup #s from an HP Engineer for both geometry and DDC. Couple this with a bunch of changes I made in the RCK3 I was expecting yesterday to be more of a test and tune and a day to feel everything out. Haven't been on the track since June so I was sure I was going to be struggling.

First note on the Pirellis as soon as I got to the first corner of the day--SQUISHY. They move around-- a lot. I am used to the rigidity of the Dunlops so it felt freaky the first lap or two.

First practice session cut short after about 4 laps due to a red flag so back to the pits.

Second practice session out and I am back down to my best times that I had with the Dunlops. Bike setup felt great with the HP Support #s and DDC suggestions. A couple of changes throughout the day and bike felt predictable and neutral. Point it where you want to go and it will hold a line.

Front tire had good wear and definitely a track day or 2 left on it. Rear is struggling after a solid practice session, two 10 minute qualifying and 2 sprint races. Probably has 3 track day sessions left on it. Crazy grip but expensive. I think I should have run an SC2 rear instead of the SC1.

I think I will stick with the Pirelli Slicks for now. Want to leave the bike alone while I chase those 2 seconds at my home track. Track day in 2 weeks with a coach so hopefully I can get there before the end of the year.

Two thumbs up on the Pirellis but at my pace any of the race rubber will do what I need. After getting used to the squish I think I prefer the feel of Pirellis over the Dunlops.

Looking at all the data from the day. The datalogger has a bit of a learning curve for sure.

See less See more
#9 ·
Beside tire geometry, did you have to make any changes to suspension or other settings?

It's a real struggle find the right tires.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm surprised someone recommended the SC1 for the rear. Vendors on the West Coast consider it so soft it is a 1 day tire good for sprint races only. If and when you require something harder than the 2.0, forthetrack.com sells the Phillip Island SC 2.5.

https://shop.forthetrack.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_69_133_138&product_id=231

Edit: Just an FYI because @sbs reports with 100 degree + temps at T-Hill, the SC2 can also be eaten up in 1 day or less.

More... One of the major MC magazines did a data analysis of WSBK times and Moto America times over race distance in the last 3 months. Sadly, I can't remember which. The upshot was: Pirellis are capable of quicker times. They have a greater drop off over race distance. Sooo... my conclusion based on the data presented was club racers doing 7-8 lap sprints should use Pirelli. If race distance is 20 laps or more, use Dunlop. Now I need to waste an hour looking for the original source. Hopefully someone else read the same article and will save me the trouble. :)

#21 ·
OR... Go with the Pirelli SC 2.5, yes, two point five tyre. I have had so many issues with the SC2 at Thunderhill, but the SC 2.5 that was designed for WSBK for Philip Island lasts and lasts and lasts, even at T-Hill in 100 degrees plus and it still has all the grip of the SC2, but I can get two full days out of the SC 2.5 with zero issues.

I tried the Dunlops, specifically the UK NTECs as well as the US made NTECS and found I didn't like the feedback as much as the Pirellis, but they were also an awesome tyre; can't really go wrong with either.

Cheers.

Reactions: the_gooch
#23 ·
I have tried both the SC2 and the SC1, I prefer the feel from the front SC2.... No issues with longevity on either compound at T-Hill.

Cheers.

#35 ·
Just to add to my previous post... my basic tune was done 14 or more months ago when @z00 was still in CA. I was also told that one of the top AFM guys went 2 seconds a lap quicker on his HP4 with DDC. He wanted Ohlins because he couldn't tell WTF the DDC was doing. I'm guessing it was Chris Siglin but don't quote me on that. :laugh:
@pimpedc6 clearly put the miles in on the DDC before giving up. If I were racing today, I'd just shovel money in the hole and buy Ohlins. I'm not. And at 61 I have nothing to prove to anyone. Sooo... unless or until I earn better suspension by turning laps within about 4-5 seconds of winning times, the money stays in the bank. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.