BMW S1000RR Forum banner

JenningsGP Dec 3,4, and 5

7K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  Vixon 
#1 ·
There is a 3 day event @ Jennings on December 3,4, and 5. Anyone going or thinking of going?

#6 · (Edited)
z00:

Driving down - putting the bikes in my trailer. Jennings is 1200 miles from my house - I will take 2 days to get there. Would love to have someone take the bikes down/back and I would fly but that isn't happening.

And I signed up for the intermediate group - I typically run in advanced on tracks I know - never been to Jennings so will start there and move up if needed.

#12 ·
Never been to COTA and yes it is an awesome track but some of the smaller tracks are so tight and technical they just make you a better rider for the times you get on a big track.

Now some of the as you say run of the mill tracks are really not that good and I agree I rather not ride them if I can help it. There are a few around here that I've not gone to for just that reason.

Here in the NE we have New Hampshire Speedway (Loudon) it is known for being very technical and not so smooth. There is an expression in this area if you can ride Loudon fast/well you can ride anywhere fast/well.

And for the record when I go to Loudon I always feel like I've lost half of what I've learned - it is a very tricky track to figure out. Then I go to one of the other tracks I go to a lot and I feel like Rossi.

So I guess most tracks are worth riding - the more I ride the better chance I have of getting better and learning.

And this past year I went to 5 different tracks and I like doing that more than just going to the same track all the time.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks - I'm still working on trying to stay down. If I fly my wife down for the off days I may be able to pull it off. Not sure she can get away from work then.

She is really cool about all my motorcycle travels - I ride a lot from touring - to just day trips - to going to the track - but me going down to Florida in December for 2 weeks with her back home - well a smart guy (which I'm not) wouldn't do it.

#19 ·
Jennings is a fun track and technical as well. Yes it's flat and a very abrasive surface. I spend most of my time in 4th gear (downshift to 3rd coming into 3 and then shift to 4th coming out of 10 just before I set up for 11) and let the motor pull me through just to try and save my rear tire.

You will like the temps in December. In the mornings it can be in the high 40s to low 50s with a cold track surface (keep that in mind) and by lunch time it warms up into the 70s.

#23 ·
If I don't go to Colombia for Xmas I'll join you guys. So many of you are going. Even though I have not heard great things about this track. But gotta find out for myself.

Anyone knows if there are decent bike rentals? I might just fly in, rent a bike instead of hauling mine for 8 hours.

#33 ·
Hey @BruceV can't wait to finally meet you. I think we've been trying for a few years now. We will be there for Dec 3, 4, 5 and 10, 11. Don't let these guys fools ya ... Skapan is fast, Old & Slow is fast, Dennis another buddy is fast. We have buddies coming in from Jacksonville and they are all fast. I'm the only slow one, feel free to ride by me LOL

Can't wait to see everyone, it's gonna be a blast

Reactions: BruceV
#34 ·
Vickie:

Up to a few days ago I had a slight chance of staying in Florida for the 10th and 11th well that's not going to happen.

Yes finally going to meet up with you and Chris - I was really happy to finally say - "see you there " to you guys.

Now I will see if I can get up to speed to ride with the big boys and girls.

I am going to try to get up to Calabogie next summer as well.

#40 · (Edited)
Really looking forward to next weekend. I will be there no later than early afternoon on Friday - might even get there Thursday evening.

At my age I need to recover from the ride down - no more jumping in the truck and driving 20 straight hours - sleep a few hours and do 3 days @ the track.

More like Thursday evening start the ibuprofen regimen - go to bed early.

Friday continue the ibuprofen treatment - take it easy get set up at the track.

Again get to bed early.

Wake up Saturday and with a little luck everything feels good - take more ibuprofen - head to the track and for the next 3 days - have myself a great time - not just on the track but off as well - the entire experience just makes this old guy - well feel not so old.

#43 · (Edited)
Okay back from Jennings today. I had a great time - went down with my friend Douglas he rides a 675R Daytona. Weather held out for Saturday and Sunday - Monday it rained track was still wet at 1:00 p.m. I packed up and headed for home.

Finally met up with Vixon, Skapan and Old and Slow.

Well none of them are old or slow - now me well that is another story.

This track eats tires - my rear lasted really just the first day but I flipped it at noon on Sunday - I also ran mostly in rain mode trying to conserve the tire plus it was cold in the morning.

The track flows great - really need to have good lines to have a chance to ride it relatively fast.

Here are a few pics of me and Old and Slow trying to make our way around the track.

Attachments

#45 ·
I already am dreading the winter here - driving back home seeing the weather change as I headed back north. Snowing in PA temps in the low 30's. My garage like a deep freezer - just very depressing.

Another thing about Jennings - everyone is so relaxed - I felt like I was at a health spa - well for me I guess I was.

Maybe I can get back down once more before the spring arrives here.

Thanks again for staying on me in regard to going to Jennings well worth the long ride and of course meeting up with everyone was fantastic.

Only problem now you all know the real story - I'm always fast until someone shows up!!!:grin2:

#49 ·
Back home now. Today was a short one. Only two sessions due to rain. First time on slicks. They seem great but I did not really have time to get used to them.

Lots of fun hanging with Skapan, Vixon and the Gooch this weekend. They are a blast to be around.

And Bruce, I can't see your pics for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.