have a track day coming up - worried about the temperture - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Track Time

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default have a track day coming up - worried about the temperture

Hey everyone.
I have around 10 track days under my belt currently but all have been in nice weather - around 60 degrees and above.

This Friday I have a track day and the highs will be around 52F. In the morning it may be as low as 40F.

I will be bringing 2 bikes to the track. One of my friend's bike is broken so he's borrowing mine.

On 1 bike I have Q2 and the other Supercorsa Diablo SC

Would these tires be ok running at 40F? I have no tire warmers.

Personally, I'm still learning, and I have a fear of leaning. Still haven't gotten my knee down. Should I be concerned about the 40F? Would my Q2's be able to lean enough if somehow by pure luck I finally get to drag a knee for the 1st time or will the tires slide off at that temperture?

Thank you, I know i'm super paranoid but I really don't want to crash,

Thanks
Noam
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Just plug that stuff into that website and let er rip!!! Ok, that was just wrong I know... sorry about that. Couldn't resist

With having 10 days under your belt and 20-some to go this season, I'd highly recommend warmers. Instead of heat cycling your tires 5-6 times per day, you only heat cycle your tires one time (tires perform better over their life). That first lap (and 2nd and 3rd) you don't have to question if your tires are warm - they are... you can go fast right away! Will help prevent cold tears too.

I've raced in the 40's and believe me, you definitely can get heat in the tires... but as you may have guessed... it's a double edge sword. Scared to go fast, tires cool off... less grip.

My advice to you, since you're not using warmers... go out as you normally do. Warm you and the bike up the first couple laps. Ease into the speed... you tires will stick MUCH more than you can imagine. Pay attention to the tires and the bike, if you feel the front start sliding or the rear start spinning up, adjust your body position, adjust your line, adjust your entry speed, etc.

Get some tire warmers... you'll have MUCH more confidence when you hit the track!! Good luck out there and have fun!!!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

hahaha - I wouldn't be able to resist either if the tables were turned... Too funny!

Anyway - thanks for the response. I feel alot better now.
I've always thought tire warmers were for slicks only.
I will mostly end up running BT003 on all my bikes pretty soon. They are cheap and I heard they are very good for track days.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh man I was literally in the same spot as you last weekend. I had a free customer appreciation day and I was the only one that showed up, it was 27 whe I showed up with a high of 37. I was definitely scared but it went fine. I had 3 track days and about 2900 street miles in the OEM tires. I was pushing my luck but still was pleasantly surprised on how I did. I would suggest don't push it, feel it out eat some confidence and you'll be fine. Oh btw I didn't use tire warmers.

History
2012 Black S1000RR with all the goodies
2009 Buell 1125CR "Bertha" - A lot of problems, great bike
2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R - My first liter bike
2005 Kawasaki ZX-636 - Awesome looks, great handling
2007 Kawasaki EX-250 - The funnest bike under 75MPH
2000 Honda Shadow 500 - Reliable and rust proof, first bike
guambra2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamkrief View Post
hahaha - I wouldn't be able to resist either if the tables were turned... Too funny!

Anyway - thanks for the response. I feel alot better now.
I've always thought tire warmers were for slicks only.
I will mostly end up running BT003 on all my bikes pretty soon. They are cheap and I heard they are very good for track days.
Slicks and race DOTs don't handle heat cycles as well as street tires so warmers are even more improtant for slicks and race DOTs. However any tire will be better off with warmers and so will your confidence (BIG time). You dont have to have warmers... but when you're in lap 2 or 3 you won't be asking yourself in your helmet if its ok to push yet. Warmers therefore means more quality track time for the $$ you just spent to be there.

For a person that just hits the track occasionally maybe not a big deal... but you're planning to hit the track a LOT. You'll LOVE the confidence warmers inspire!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Slicks and race DOTs don't handle heat cycles as well as street tires so warmers are even more improtant for slicks and race DOTs. However any tire will be better off with warmers and so will your confidence (BIG time). You dont have to have warmers... but when you're in lap 2 or 3 you won't be asking yourself in your helmet if its ok to push yet. Warmers therefore means more quality track time for the $$ you just spent to be there.

For a person that just hits the track occasionally maybe not a big deal... but you're planning to hit the track a LOT. You'll LOVE the confidence warmers inspire!

I'll get some them. Hopefully I'll get used to the pain in the a$$ that it looks like putting them on the bike after each session
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamkrief View Post
I'll get some them. Hopefully I'll get used to the pain in the a$$ that it looks like putting them on the bike after each session
It'll become second nature before you know it. Just make sure you unplug them before you take off on the bike... they'll burn up that way.

You'll end up loven em!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just did a 34* track day on Dec. 29th....IN THE WET!

Diablo Corse Rosso's did OK, but I didn't get greedy.
Lot's of little slips from the rear and only once did the TC light come on.

No slips from the front.

Keep it in RAIN MODE and chill out especially the 1st few laps.
Just don't get greedy....and enjoy.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
I just did a 34* track day on Dec. 29th....IN THE WET!

Diablo Corse Rosso's did OK, but I didn't get greedy.
Lot's of little slips from the rear and only once did the TC light come on.

No slips from the front.

Keep it in RAIN MODE and chill out especially the 1st few laps.
Just don't get greedy....and enjoy.

Owesome picture you the man cuz once it gets below 50 I don't ride
Jimmyc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

You should have gotten the red bike so it would match your face.

[/QUOTE]
Bluebeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement