Track day bike? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Track Time

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Track day bike?

I am going to do 4 to 6 trackdays next year. I dont have any plans to enter races just go and have fun at track days and learn to be a better rider. I would say I am an average rider with 4 years sport bike experience. I would say I am an good rider(with alot to learn). I have owned a 2006 gsxr 600, 2007 R1, and 2011 BMW listed below.

I have a few options I have listed below.

2008 R6 with 5000 miles for $5200

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R new for $11,500

2007-2008 GSXR 1000 $7000 range.

I thought I could get a R6 and run it around the track for a few track days and if I really liked it then turn my BMW into a dedicated track bike and buy another bike for the street.

Any ideas or suggestions????

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

If your goal is to become a better rider, I would say that a 600 would do that for you quicker than a liter bike on the track. The reason I say that is because you will naturally want to try and keep up with others on the track (just a normal thing to do). If you're on a liter bike you can "cheat" the track by gaining your ground on the straights and not really learning to improve your riding (as quickly) in the turns (braking, entry speed, corner speed, exit acceleration, etc.). With a 600, believe me... you can still keep up with MANY of the liter bikes out there on the track... but it is done by being better than them on the brakes, corner speed, and getting back on the throttle. <--- this is where you will become a better rider.

Out of all your options, that 675R would be flat out amazing!! However, you just need to be prepared to accept your bike getting tossed down on the track... so balance that with the amount you're willing to pay for a bike. Whatever you do, buy a bike that is already set up for the track - it will save you a lot of time and money trying to convert a street bike to a dedicated track bike. 08 R6's are great bikes too! If it were me, I'd probably opt for that - cheaper buy-in, parts availability, and plenty folks before you have set one up so there's a lot of great suggestions on geometry, settings, etc.

BTW, a liter bike will teach you great things on the track too... but my experience is that folks stop improving sooner on them due to the power they produce and really utilizing it on the straights... and not learning what true riding is all about (brakes, turns, getting out of the turns quick).

Afterall, that is the normal progression in racing venues too (Moto 3, Moto 2, then to the big boys - MotoGP)... same with AMA (SS, Daytona SS, Superbike). It teaches the skills to go fast!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by 1000RR; 11-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

That was my real concern. I know whatever I use at the track will hit the pavement at some point. I realized that a few years ago on my street bike as well. When you dance you have to pay the fiddler.

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

IMO of those bikes it is an easy decision. The R6 is an amazing track machine. Combine that with the fact parts are cheap and easy to come by as well as allowing you to really improve as a rider; easy decision.

Go with the R6!
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I found this listing in my town. It is for a 2007 CBR600rr. I have bought plenty of bikes but have never bought a track bike. let me know what you think and what questions I shoud ask.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3391008315.html

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Personally, if I were looking for a track bike, I would look for one that is set up for the track in total (not just race plastics). I would look for something that has:
  • aftermarket clip-ons
  • aftermarket rearsets
  • case savers
  • front suspension upgrade
  • rear suspension upgrade
  • exhaust and tune (PCV/Bazzaz/Race ECU)

Sometimes you can find a bonus w/someone getting rid of bike stands, tire warmers, lap timers, and plenty of other track goodies. You might try the WERA forums or get on some of the local (to you) trackday/racers forums - they'll have a for sale section too.

The bike you have shown appears nice in the sense of relatively low miles on the bike... and it will get you by for some time for the track I imagine depending on your pace and desires. But as soon as you start getting a bit faster, you're gonna want some suspension upgrades and that alone is probably gonna cost you a minimum of $1,600 and upwards of $3K or so.

When someone sells a race bike, they never get out what they put in... their loss, your gain

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is my concern. I want something I will be happy with for a few years(power, suspension, etc). I have had ohlins suspenions on the last two bikes and I dont want to buy a track bike and then dump 3k in suspension then gobs on brakes etc to get it to where i am used to on my street bikes. There is a bike at the local dealer is wanting to deal on however I have concerns.

2010 KTM 1190 RC8R with the Club race kit, 2600 miles, upgraded marchesini wheels, full ohlins suspension, foldable levers, street(currently has street plastics on) and race plastics, perfect condition, drilled, tapped, wired for racing. They said It has about 10k in upgrades to it and the sticker on the bike was 20k. They want 13k for it. More than I wanted to spend but not out of the budget. My biggest concern is that KTM parts will be hard to come by and I have no experience with KTM

Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Damn you have expensive (and good) taste I like it!!!!

Parts, and setup support for the KTM although I'm sure you can dig up some stuff on some of the KTM forums. And some WERA guys are running the KTM. That is one beautiful bike fosho!!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpedc6 View Post
That is my concern. I want something I will be happy with for a few years(power, suspension, etc). I have had ohlins suspenions on the last two bikes and I dont want to buy a track bike and then dump 3k in suspension then gobs on brakes etc to get it to where i am used to on my street bikes. There is a bike at the local dealer is wanting to deal on however I have concerns.

2010 KTM 1190 RC8R with the Club race kit, 2600 miles, upgraded marchesini wheels, full ohlins suspension, foldable levers, street(currently has street plastics on) and race plastics, perfect condition, drilled, tapped, wired for racing. They said It has about 10k in upgrades to it and the sticker on the bike was 20k. They want 13k for it. More than I wanted to spend but not out of the budget. My biggest concern is that KTM parts will be hard to come by and I have no experience with KTM
I have a 2008 Kawasaki zx10 race bike for sale asking 5,500 for it has traxxion dinamics ak20 internals,rear Penske 3ple shock,yoshimura full exhaust bazzaz traction control unit with quickshifter,vortex rear sets superbike brake line,vortex clip on,1/4 throttle Ohlins steering damper bike has around 9k miles text me if interested and for pictures 8324945272 I'm located in Houston Texas area
Jimmyc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have my track bike up for sale, in case you were interested.
thanks

F/s: 2011 bmw s1000rr track bike
bens1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement