Track day bike? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Track Time

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Why go for the KTM when you could get an S1000RR track bike? IF you're ready to spend in that range the S1000 makes so much more sense. Already has decent brakes and suspension, and if you want to work on corner speeds then keep it in rain mode!
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

I liked the KTM however I dont like the parts availability and No TC etc. I was leaning more towards the 675R however i havent ridden a 100rwhp bike in years. Rain mode is boring IMHO. I am going to ride the 675R this weekend and check out the forums you recommended. I would be interested in peoples track bikes but i dont do the shipping from all the way across country. I am in KY, FYI

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

You want to be a better rider? Go for an sv650! Best bang for your buck. Will make you a much better rider vs the others in the long run! Easy on tires and your pocket book! If you think that's not your style, go for the r6...I'd stay away from 1ks...too much for a beginner track rider and they make you lazy. Remember, you will hit the ground...how much do you want to spend on repairs.
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'd buy a well set-up, cheap track bike. My friend had an rc8, he bought a TTX and he's having the forks done now. You can buy a race-prepped bike for not much more than my friend will have in suspension upgrades.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Honestly, try to take our advice when it comes to buying your first track bike! I am telling you now its hard to not get a "better" bike at first but trust me, the actual bike is not what make's you faster on the track (talking about corner speed here of course). I have a '12 S1000RR and a '12 675R (track bike), and now I'm looking for a track bike that I can use as a spare and not care if I beat it up!

It's a 10x better bike when it's set-up for you, and the 675R is sometimes a bitch to get set-up (I'm talking racing pace here though).

What I have found in my first year of racing/trackdays that REALLY make's you a better and faster rider are these part's:

SUSPENSION.. Ohlins 30mm Fork Cartridges & TTX36 Rear Shock
Clip-On's
Steering Damper
Rearsets
Full Exhaust (not just for power but weight savings mainly)

The cheaper the first track bike you get, the more $$$ you can spend on getting you're suspension tuned for you, and tires.

So, my recommendation would be to definitely get the R6. Liter bikes are fun on the track, but 600's are so much less work and so much smoother. If you got a 675R, you don't need to put as much money into it as any other bike brand new, but still, prepare to put some money into any bike you are making a race bike.

You say you're going to go to only 4 to 6 track days next year, but I have met too many people that got addicted to the track pipe just by going once. Watch
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeRR View Post
What I have found in my first year of racing/trackdays that REALLY make's you a better and faster rider are these part's:

SUSPENSION.. Ohlins 30mm Fork Cartridges & TTX36 Rear Shock
Clip-On's
Steering Damper
Rearsets
Full Exhaust (not just for power but weight savings mainly)

The cheaper the first track bike you get, the more $$$ you can spend on getting you're suspension tuned for you, and tires.
Items in Red are the top things any new rider should look most at for gaining speed on the track. All others will NOT be what's holding you back if you're wanting to go faster? And more than any of those or equally important is --> SEAT TIME!!!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

I hear you on that. I think I found my track bike. Experienced guys let me know what you think.

2008 Gsxr 1000

He said it has transponders for CCS and WERA and it is safety wired.

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Nicely setup... Do you now what weight rider it is sprung for? Is he willing to deal any?
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
He said it has transponders for CCS and WERA and it is safety wired.
Again, that looks to be a good track bike, but it's a 1000 and from the way he wrote about the engine it makes it seem as if it has engine upgrades (camshafts/gaskets/pistons/valves/etc.).

600's feel just as fast at the track because you go so much faster and smoother while hitting apex's like a boss.

But no doubt, that's a nice GSX-R! They have some of the best handling in the liter bike class... and are Suzuki's are some of the easiest bike's to setup. Ideally, find a GSX-R 600 as I feel you will want to get into racing later on after a season of trackdays!

Last edited by GabeRR; 11-30-2012 at 02:58 AM.
GabeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

No he isnt willing to go much less. He has an extra set of wheels, tank, fuel pump, new dunlop race tires, pit bull stands, extra clip ons and a few other things he will throw in for $700 extra. I was told he raced WERA and CCS in the florida area. The suspension is set up for 260 pounds and I am 200 without gear.

Here is the bad part for that I think sounds really shady. He said it used to be a back up bike for a guy who raced AMA for a few years. He said he has a clean title but it is in the guys name who raced AMA because he was someone pretty famous and he thought if he left it that way it would make the bike more valuable. He is willing to provide bill of sale etc but isnt the bike almost worthless if you can transfer title? I was really dissappointed when i heard that because I think its a deal breaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement