Should MotoGP ban traction control like F1 did? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Track Time

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should MotoGP ban traction control like F1 did?

Was watching the American Grand Prix over the weekend and heard them say traction control is no longer allowed in F1...that it's just up to the driver's feel and skill now. Got me to thinking why MotoGP or WSB allow it? Let the riders skill dictate performance, not electronics. Just curious what you guys think.
Red and Alpine White 2012 S1000RR, Austin Racing Full Inconel GP2R exhaust with titanium can, PCV with dyno tune by WSB tuner, AR CF Satin Belly Pan, R&G Racing side covers and wheel sliders and License plate relocation kit with rear light internal LED blinkers and brake lights.
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree with that. It would make it more interesting!! And they should put KRS on the bikes!! Turbo like boost!! Then we will see some crazy passing!!
2013 BMW HP4 #0162 (STOLEN JUNE 17, 2014!!!)
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS (For Sale! )
2005 HONDA CR125 (Sold)
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (For Sale!)
Fbto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you watch videos of Rainey/Schwantz, you'll wanna see traction control banned immediately. That said, the racing is much, much safer with it.

I'm not sure banning TC from MotoGP can safe it from boredom. But I'd like to production-based classes allow traction control that's only readily available for purchase or OEM TC. I think it would make better TC for us all.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrodeo4 View Post
Was watching the American Grand Prix over the weekend and heard them say traction control is no longer allowed in F1...that it's just up to the driver's feel and skill now. Got me to thinking why MotoGP or WSB allow it? Let the riders skill dictate performance, not electronics. Just curious what you guys think.
they would have to ban it in both series, motogp and wsbk otherwise you might have the problem of the superbikes setting faster laptimes than motogp bikes on some tracks, that would be a serious dent to the credibillty of motgp
but in answer yes i think it should be banned or scaled back
antonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Back when traction control was reintroduced back into F1, there was alot of misnomer that all of a sudden the back of the grid cars were all of a sudden going to be winning cars.

Traction control isnt all of a sudden going to make a driver/ rider better. I like the idea of driver/ rider aids in motorsports. F1, MOTO GP, WSBK are the pinnacles of racing and the technology advancements should be showcased because they are the top tier of racing. The technology advancements and changes is another challenge that the racers and there teams need to overcome.
bahkhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think they should keep it on bikes for safety reasons. there is plenty else out there that requires skill of the rider. If a car loses traction around a corner doing over 100mph, who the fuk cares...that same scenario can have a horrible impact on a rider because he's got no cage.
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Racing is far more dangerous on bikes.

Last edited by nik08; 11-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've seen interviews in person where Hayden, Edwards and Rossi said "yes" they should ban traction control. If I'm not mistaken even Stoner made the same comment once.

Personally I enjoy knowing I've got it on my street bike but for pure racing it should be about talent, feel and skill NOT electronics than win races. I'm for banning it in competitive racing all together. We all know that street riding, conditions, environment and people are sketchy at best but the controlled environment and conditions on a private track are completely different.

Ban it.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Traction control has been banned in F1 for years now. The latest sport rider magazine has a Lorenzo interview and he says the bike woulnt be safe without it. Bike are close to 250 horsepower now with the 1000 cc. He did say the antiwheelie can go.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Even with traction control you can see great things.Watch Stoner when he exits the corners.It all depends who drives and what are his capabilities. When I was in a MotoGP race and depending of the driver/bike I could hear the traction control engaging more or less,specially on CRT bikes.
Naturally with traction off the slides would have been bigger and more dangerous.
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement