BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Cota roll call

7K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  romes4rs 
#1 ·
July 9-10 is a Ridesmart Cota track day 390$ a day . Who's going !

#13 ·
I hang with ducs because i've been riding them much longer but always looking for more buds. Rode the '14 w/ CSS @ Laguna and fell in love. Even had a Rossi/ Marquez moment in my avatar. So i bought a '15 last year and have taken it to COTA 3 times last year.

I have changed the master (RCS19) and it helped, will changed fluid and find better pads. But fade is intense w/ 4 hard braking zones at COTA. Spoke to Nate Kern last year and he said add a remote brake adjuster.

Also gunning for those leggeras and most run 2:22 to 2:30.

COTA had up on their website a Sept. date but it was taken down based on advice that poeple won't sign up in enough numbers if they publicise the dates too far in advance. If I remember correctly it was Sept 10/11.

#14 ·
l'll be +1!! Can't wait...its gonna be a HOT one.

#22 ·
Hello All,
I am preparing for the 9-10 July track weekend and will be doing this for the first time. With this in mind, I am curious if anyone has a solid recommendation as to what tires to run. I plan on utilizing a new set of the stock Pirelli's as I am not sure I will push the bike enough to utilize anything better. I have ridden aggressively on canyon roads and spent a lot of time studying body position, braking techniques and line selection. My thought thus far is to run the stock tires which will have about 1,000 miles on them prior to the event and then listen to the rider coaches on tire selection for day 2. Thank you very much for your time and consideration, I really appreciate it being a track newbie. Have a good evening!

Cheers,
Nak

#26 ·
I have zero experience with other than Dunlop. If you want to switch to try D, the Q3 is great for all street use and light - moderate track work. They will enjoy warmers if available but not needed. GPAs are even better for the track but really need warmers. They take longer to heat up so you have to be a little more patient with them on the street or on the track if no warmers.

#23 ·
Don't worry, the moderators will strike us down!

You simply cannot buy better tires for the track that are also street legal. For a DOT tire, the Supercorsa's are the best there is. I wouldn't even swap them going to day 2, just drop the pressure before the track and you'll be good.

#31 ·
I'm afraid there won't be enough time on track personally. I'll do it just to ride COTA, but I doubt I'll ever go again. Maybe if some friends want to, but that's it.

My hometown tracks give 30min of riding out of every 60min, and they generally ride through lunch.

MMP gave 20min of riding for every 60, but stopped for lunch. I would've liked a bit more.

COTA gives 15min of riding for every 60, stops for lunch, and requires classroom time.

Plus they're rules sound a bit strict to me. There's a Panigale video on YouTube where he got black flagged for comparatively mild power wheelies. My RR comes up farther, for longer.

#35 · (Edited)
30 minute sessions??? This makes no sense. I guess for the come and go as you please during that time it would be nice but there is no way in hell I could keep up fast practice/race pace for 30 minutes every session.

Would not even want to think about the cluster of different skill with 2 groups.

Amount of track time was same as most other organizations I have ridden with. They extended the time an hour to make up for the 4 groups.

No classroom required when I was there. If you are running in a group that requires classroom time there is probably a reason for it.

#36 ·
Lots of assumptions going on here.

One track does fast/slow groups in alternating 30min sessions, and it is more or less come and go as you please. If you're in the appropriate group you can enter and come off track anytime in your session. It works well when you only have 30 bikes total, 10 at any given time, on a several mile long course.

Ya there's a wider range of skill, but with only 10 bikes on track it isn't exactly crowded. As usual, safety is on the guy doing the passing.

Or do you think I signed up for a slower group because maybe I'll be a thousand miles away from home, on a bike I've got 30 grand into, on DOT tires, in a 7th degree of hell heat I've never even experienced before? So I don't want to push myself, and riding in the slower group allows that. I'm not going here to go fast, to learn to be better, or anything like that. I'm going to enjoy riding one of the finest tracks in the western hemisphere with my Dad for fathers day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.