Ideal second bike discussion; what do you buy and why? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Xtremsiege2
Ideal second bike discussion; what do you buy and why?

Track bikes aside, what is your ideal second bike and why?

///Xtremsiege2
2016 BRR s1000rr Premium
2013 BS s1000rr fully loaded! 17k miles. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM

I currently have a K1300S. Great sport tourer - plenty of power can ride it all day long. Can give sport riders fits on almost all roads except very tight stuff.

When I rode my 2012 RR on the street I never got off of it and got on my K1300S and thought the K bike was a slug in any way. For the first few minutes it did feel big and heavy because it is bigger and heavier than the RR but after that it feels exactly like it is - a very smooth high performance sport tourer.

My only complaint if there is one - I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. and getting older by the second - I'm starting to feel the weight when moving it around my garage or at very slow speeds like in traffic. So nothing I can do about the moving it in my garage but I try like crazy to stay out of slow moving traffic.

Bruce
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Triumph Rocket III raodster. Because awesome.

https://youtu.be/MqpDP7HQMtg

One less than you

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Like Bruce, I'm lightweight and not young (144 pounds, 5'10", 70 years). For those days when I'm not on the RR (rare), I hop on a 2016 BMW F800GT. It's a great sport-tourer...flickable in the twisties, comfortable and NOT heavy. Under-rated bike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	172833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	172841  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:26 PM
z00

I have been thinking about a 2nd bike for the track. Keep RR for the street. After much research and talking to Troy Corser who test rode all 2017 superbikes on the track. Aprila rsv4 rf is the way to go. Too bad closest dealership is 3h away.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 PM

FZ1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Torchsport likes this.

2012 S1000RR Motorsport Premium Brocks Full System,GPR Damper,PC5,Blue SS lines,Sato rearsets,Bestem Cowl,Sargent Seat,Puig Racing Screen,HIDs,Woodcrafts+GBRacing sliders+engine protectors,CRG Levers,Motodynamics signals,-1F/520
2007 FZ1 Ivan ECU Flash,Micron Full System,R1 Forks,Elka Triple clicker,Gilles rearsets,PC5,CNC bits,CF Bellypan&fenders,T-Rex sliders,HIDs,DB Screen
2006 Daytona Ohlins TTX,Pazzos,Attack Rearsets,GPR damper,Seat Cowl,HIDs,Renthal clipons,T-Rex Sliders
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 PM

honda crf450r is my ideal second bike, setup for the small kart tracks / flat track practice
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Something small I can flog (yes, I'm talking about a bike)
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I have been thinking about a 2nd bike for the track. Keep RR for the street. After much research and talking to Troy Corser who test rode all 2017 superbikes on the track. Aprila rsv4 rf is the way to go. Too bad closest dealership is 3h away.
z00:
Why not keep the RR for the track and get something for the street? No doubt the Aprilia is an awesome bike if it in fact meets your needs. I never purchase anything because one of the great super stars says it is the best or Don Canet gets the best times on it.

I test ride them - which one fits me the best - dealer support - what equipment they have - price - the last thing I honestly look at is all out performance figures obtained by professional riders - all the liter sport bikes today - all more than capable of performing at a much higher level than I can.

I ride an RR because I like BMW's - have a great relationship with my dealer - great warranty - fits me better than any other liter bike currently - has way more power and handling abilities than I can use.

And I've done better than I've thought possible when trading for a new one - heck my 2016 cost me less than the service work I needed on my 2015.

Bruce
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM

I currently have a 2016 RR and a 2014 R6. Both for street, maybe make one a track bike later on in life but I seriously don't see that happening. Both of these are my ONLY dream bikes. I don't have any other BUT just to tease you guys & myself..

For my 3rd bike:

Kawasaki Z125: Just because I think you could have some different kind of fun on it. It's small and nimble, it just wants to have fun!

Yamaha WR250R: I believe that's the dual sport one which I could ride on the streets and also take off-road if I want. I really don't see myself going off-road that often so this might not be something I'll go for but I have kept it as an option in case I do have the feeling later.

Ducati 899/959: Whichever Ducati is below the 1000CC range. They keep changing the CC higher and higher, I can't keep up but I was thinking of grabbing one but the only thing keeping me from it is that I already have an R6 and RR so will it really be a change or too similar? It's just a very beautiful bike!!

Ducati Monster: The ones that are below 1000cc. I just want to own a nice Ducati, this would be just an amazing cruiser kind of bike for me. But I hear when you buy a Ducati, you're also buying yourself a world of Ducati problems as well. But hey, when is life ever easy, you want the struggles so you can have experiences..memories. Although, I don't see myself riding a naked kind of bike, always been a sportsbike kind of guy.

AFTER writing all this out, I don't see myself buying a 3rd bike unless it's the Z125 with like a stupidly crazy kind of deal to come along with it. So yeah, no bikes for me

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode