I Made a Thing(An App) - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Post I Made a Thing(An App)

Hello People, I posted here about a year ago regarding an App idea I kinda wanted to make for fun. Well what happened to it? I'll tell you.
A friend and I started by making a social media app for riders, the app would assist in organizing rides through the app as well as facebook, hold and fetch useful information, provide chat groups/rooms, along with a few other things. Well, for a social media app to be successful it has to be free, scale, and earn revenue to pay for servers. After getting pretty far in, success was not deemed to be achievable. So we scrapped it and started on other projects.

Anyhow before all that, I did this. I made an app solely for me, myself, and I. But after some friends saw it, they wanted it(for whatever reason). Btw, Its pretty basic. If I'm gonna release it, I need to do a little overhaul.

So what is this App?
Basically, its an app that allows you to decide whether you should ride or not at a glance. The app takes in your ride preferences, uses a weighted equation to calculate, uses dynamic backgrounds for appeal and stuff, pulls accurate data from over 250,000 weather stations using Weather Underground and displays it in a very simple 'at a glance' method.
Here kinda what it looks like...

Why?
I'm a software engineer, which means I'm pretty lazy. I originally made this app for myself roughly half a year ago really because I didn't want to scroll and click on different tabs of every other weather app to get the information I wanted that was relevant to riding. I mean seriously with googles weather app i have to scroll half a page two different directions to get what I want? So instead of spending a couple extra seconds everyday, I dedicated many hours and devoured several hundred pizza rolls to create this app. Jk, I did it in-between classes.

Also, I live in Texas. 85 degrees can be totally up in the air whether to ride or not depending on humidity. I also have bad allergies and don't prefer to ride in straight up pollen either. Im a wimp, I know...

What I Need From You
First, since some friends and a few other people apparently want this app for some reason, I need testers(iOS only right now). If you want to help test, I'll set up a means of communication to report issues/take suggestions.
Second, Since this app was never meant for eyes other than my own I need input of how it could be made better or what features people might want that could become useful to them.

Are you a developer, designer, or want to learn how to code?
Let me know. I love community projects. I'm going to open source the code and you can contribute even if you are learning. I'll even help you get started if you want to learn!

Lastly
Thanks, your feedback is actually really valuable. Even if you hate the app, the idea, or just hate me in general and want to come to my house in order to beat me up/steal my bike, I still value your feedback. Also, this app has been kinda done before if you check the app store. I've just done it better I believe(or not). Love you people.

Last edited by Rykuno; 04-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM
sro

How can I help? I'm a tech geek.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
How can I help? I'm a tech geek.
That would be awesome, anything I can get . Testing, ideas, or criticism are all nice.

If you would like to test and have an IPhone running the latest OS, download an app called 'TestFlight'. TestFlight allows developers to invite beta testers without the app being on the app store. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/test...899247664?mt=8. I'll post on here when the app has been made available through it. From there we can move forward. 5 spots for testing will be open. I've cross posted this so the testers will be from different forums possibly.

If you would like to contribute in development or design, I have pushed the project to GitHub and created a quick README.md file for you. https://github.com/Rykuno/Rideable

Also, are you a skilled or not so skilled Android/iOS developer? Hit me up, a few people from the reddits and I have a couple fun projects in progress.

Last edited by Rykuno; 04-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Will it work in countries outside the US?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Will it work in countries outside the US?
How could I forget about my Euro friends? Absolutely. Anywhere in the world actually(supposedly).

Also to everyone If I have not mentioned, I'm not looking to make a dime off this. I just thought this would be a cool community project to maybe be of use to someone other than myself.

Last edited by Rykuno; 04-19-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM
sro

I downloaded Test Flight. I'll check out GitHub.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
I downloaded Test Flight. I'll check out GitHub.
Sweet! If anyone needs any explanation of how some of the code is laid out or wants to learn(some of it may be a little spaghetti) lmk here or add me on discord at rykuno#5604. I'm happy to take advice or help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 PM

Spewin no android app yet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Spewin no android app yet
I mean I have an android version working similar to this(Made the switch to a pixel in place of my IPhone so I had to remake my app). I just need more time(or people*wink wink*) to work it. Maybe this summer after finals and I finish up some other side projects I'll get time to finish it up! I probably wont release it to the public even after its done, but if you want it I'll send you the apk :P. I fear I'll exceed my calls per day on android and I'm not about that paying $150 a month for weather life lol. https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/pricing.html
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 AM
z00

Where do you host the service? AWS? Or is it all done on the client side?

I have an Android, but I'm curious to use it as I hate wasting time looking through weather sites.

Got a link to Github repo? I wanna skim through the code.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode