Any "handgunners" out there? Looking at a Walter PPQ .45 cal vs...? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Any "handgunners" out there? Looking at a Walther PPQ .45 cal vs...?

Since I'm still not working steady yet, I can't even actually consider spending the money on this, but, in looking at it the other day, I REALLY liked this, and it seems to be very highly rated:
PPQ 45 - Walther Arms

It felt better (I have big hands - it has a longer grip) and far more of a quality piece than the .45 Glock (which felt cheap to me, especially the slide action). I've heard good things about the H&K as well, but haven't looked at that yet.

I'm set on a .45 caliber (not interested in anything else), as I like the way it shoots, and although I LOVE my buddy's Springfield arms "1911" .45, I want a double-stack for the added capacity (12+1). With the violent sh!te currently going on in this country with certain entitled mobs, I like having the stopping power (save the arguments - see above) and the extra capacity, and the Walther felt a lot like his 1911 but in a double-stack.

I'm not an very experienced handgunner (or shooter in general), and I don't know all the specs/acronyms etc., but I know what feels good to me, I like a quality piece, and I'm actually a pretty good shot with a handgun, a better shot than my friend by a pretty good margin whenever we go shooting....which pisses him off no end since he's so into it all! Also, I DO plan on open carrying this on a full-time basis, and plan to apply for a concealed carry permit as well.

So, I just wanted some feedback from the more experienced here. When I get steady work, this might very well be be my first handgun.

Thoughts, opinions?

Grazie!

2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies"
------------------------------------------------------------
"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into itty-bitty pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"

Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; 01-10-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Elk

A very nice choice, an excellent gun. It shoots well. A bit of muzzle flip, but it is a .45.

It is on the large side as a concealed carry choice, but this depends on where/how you carry and your tolerance. This is personal preference, I would not carry a 1911 either.

I like Glocks as a defense sidearm for their toughness, flawless safety, and easy care, but everyone has their preferences. My race guns are not Glocks.

And while you have a stated preference, and a good one, do consider the .40 S&W. The down range energy of a .40 S&W exceeds standard-pressure .45 ACP loadings. .40 rounds are cheaper (this matters for practice, you need to shoot a lot). A .40 can hold more rounds. Etc. Confession - I was an early .40 adopter.

Shoot a lot of guns and learn what you like, what you do not like, what feels comfortable to shoot (bore axis location makes a difference in the amount of muzzle flip, how sharp a gun feels when fired, etc.).
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM

Nothing wrong with the PPQ45, it is a quality brand. While I do not have a PPQ myself I have the Walther P22 to teach my daughter to shoot. I do have quite a few pistols in my collection of various brands. Now it depends on what you're looking for, and since you say you don't know much about them then you may want to look at features and decide what you think you'd prefer. For example, do you want a pistol with an external safety you can manually flip on and off, or do you want a pistol with trigger safety like glocks have? Chamber a round and leave it alone. If that makes you nervous as a person who will be carrying then it'll help you narrow your search. I have HKs, Springfield XD, Sigs, FNX, and some others. My primary EDC is a XD45 Service model with an external safety. I've been carrying consistently since 1999 and although I own a glock and carry it sometimes, I prefer a pistol with an external safety. I carry 1911s too in CD1 which is chambered, hammer cocked and and safety on.

Even though aesthetics is important (I've purchased a revolver online I never touched on sheer looks lol), you should probably go and feel all the pistols you're thinking about. Things change quickly when you're shooting lol, then you might find out it's not so comfy lol. I don't know what the PPQ45 costs but I purchased my XD45 for $478 in March 2016. They actually cost more but they also have a program called the bare essentials, that is gun, magazines and that's it. No holster and all the other crap Springfield throws in there that most people probably don't use.

Another resource, find a pistol you think you like and youtube it. I'm 100% sure a few folks do and video review of it with pros and cons. GL on your decision and enjoy lots of range time with whatever you purchase.
Elk and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.

2014 Red/BLK/White

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
I'm actually a pretty good shot with a handgun, a better shot than my friend by a pretty good margin whenever we go shooting....which pisses him off no end since he's so into it all!
This is very common. Women beginners are often particularly good.

Centerfire pistol shooters often develop bad habits - flinching, etc. - which you have not yet had an opportunity to embrace. He needs a coach to correct his shooting faults. It is amazing what a good coach can do.

If you can, develop good habits by shooting a good .22 target pistol a lot. Learn proper sight picture, hand position, trigger pull/technique, etc. It all translates to the bigger bore guns. Plus, target shooting is a blast. And cheap.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 PM

Garage
I've never really liked polymer guns enough to buy one yet, but at my CCP class, the instructor trashed talked polymer pretty bad, especially Glocks.
One of his points was they don't have as long a life as metal, but that's still a lot of rounds to wear one out. I still prefer the weight and feel of all steel though.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This is very common. Women beginners are often particularly good.

Centerfire pistol shooters often develop bad habits - flinching, etc. - which you have not yet had an opportunity to embrace. He needs a coach to correct his shooting faults. It is amazing what a good coach can do.

If you can, develop good habits by shooting a good .22 target pistol a lot. Learn proper sight picture, hand position, trigger pull/technique, etc. It all translates to the bigger bore guns. Plus, target shooting is a blast. And cheap.
LOL

Sound advice. Unfortunately, like the BMW, the .45 will be bought because it's the biggest and the baddest, and live a lonely life in storage, used but once or twice a year when lucky.

(says the guy with a glock 30sf with zero rounds through it LOL )
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM

I recommend you also try to handle a SIG and an HK, as they also have similar grip angles as a 1911. I have a M&P 45 as my duty weapon and like it very much.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I've never really liked polymer guns enough to buy one yet, but at my CCP class, the instructor trashed talked polymer pretty bad, especially Glocks.
One of his points was they don't have as long a life as metal, but that's still a lot of rounds to wear one out. I still prefer the weight and feel of all steel though.
Hmm. That's pretty interesting. Was it first hand experience? I have thousands of rounds through several polymer pistols, Glock (8000+, 3 barrels) and my duty weapon (M&P 45, 3000+) and have not had a single issue. Sounds like a blanket statement by someone who is quite small minded. Because you like one over the other is no reason to make up unsubstantiated claims to justify your (the instructor not you) preference.
Elk and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:21 PM
z00

CZ shadow2, it's more than you wanna spend on a gun. But it's worth it IMO

I like Sigs too, your best bet before buying anything is to go to a range or gunstore that allows gun rental/tryouts. Shoot some guns and see what brand/models you like. Otherwise you might buy something based on reviews and word of mouth, at the end get disappointed.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'.

Last edited by z00; 01-09-2017 at 11:36 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmassMSP View Post
Hmm. That's pretty interesting. Was it first hand experience? I have thousands of rounds through several polymer pistols, Glock (8000+, 3 barrels) and my duty weapon (M&P 45, 3000+) and have not had a single issue. Sounds like a blanket statement by someone who is quite small minded. Because you like one over the other is no reason to make up unsubstantiated claims to justify your (the instructor not you) preference.
I wish I knew enough to really know, but he was military, police etc. I think he said they were good for about 20k rounds. I've never fired that many shots out of the same gun of any kind, so probably not a real world issue for 99% of everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode