Recovery time from knee reconstructive surgery - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > S1000RR Forum Off-Topic > S1000RR Lounge

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recovery time from knee reconstructive surgery

Torn my PCL, meniscus and popliteus tendon in a bike crash during practice in October and had surgery on Nov 15th. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar injury and how long it took them to get back in riding/racing condition. There's lots of info out there for ACL injuries but not too much for PCL, my BMW arrives this week and can't wait to be able to test ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Newf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pcl and acl injuries have similar recovery times. The thing u really want to watch out for is ur recovery on ur meniscus. I tore acl and meniscus twice and had surgery done twice as well. Depending how quickly u want to get back and speed of therapy, I'd say 3 months although they prob won t release u. U just don't tell them what ur gonna do. Full recovery for me was 6 months and that was to get back to competitive soccer.
I actually drove my bike 2 weeks after surgery and could barely bend my knee, but wanted to drive so bad.lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
s-eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-eins View Post
Pcl and acl injuries have similar recovery times. The thing u really want to watch out for is ur recovery on ur meniscus. I tore acl and meniscus twice and had surgery done twice as well. Depending how quickly u want to get back and speed of therapy, I'd say 3 months although they prob won t release u. U just don't tell them what ur gonna do. Full recovery for me was 6 months and that was to get back to competitive soccer.
I actually drove my bike 2 weeks after surgery and could barely bend my knee, but wanted to drive so bad.lol

How long ago did you have the ACL injury? My Doc said that some guys can walk the same day of the ACL surgery but I'm not allowed to bear any weight until 5 weeks post-op. Been working hard trying to get my range of motion back but still only at 60 degrees, I think that will be what holds me back from riding fast. I'll need at least 120 degrees before I feel comfortable on the bike. The doc wont tell me when I can ride again, he just says I can't crash for at least 5 months...lol

Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

About 2-3 years ago. To this day, it still don't feel the same. I have no problems with my knee at all, just on rainy days it tightens up and feels stiff. He's trying to avoid you putting pressure on your meniscus. I had to wait a week before applying pressure and walking. Did I wait that long, heck no. A day later after surgery I tried walking, but u lose your sense of control and have to build ur hamstrings and muscles. The sooner you get on to putting on pressure with ur knee the better. Do you currently wear a knee brace? It pretty much extends from ur groin all the way to ur foot. Just use that to walk with, but don't walk without it yet. Give yourself a month. Pt will let u know. Like you said, range of motion is critical. Ill give u 3 to 4 months and u should be back on racing. They may give u a donjoy brace, wear that! Will def support you even when u go down

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had a splint on for the first 2 weeks then switch to a Breg brace that can be locked to different extension and flexion. At my 4 week checkup the doc advised me to stop using the brace while at home just to get use to keeping my leg straight without the help of the brace. Started walking in the pool and will begin weight bearing on Friday. First race is at Sepang(Malaysia) at the end of April so should be good by then.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh yeah u should be good april. Good luck with the race by the way. Resistance training in the pool will help a lot with rehab. In our gym we have a therapy pool and that's what I used. I figured a month would be the time period that u have the splint on.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd start riding a road bike. It will help your recovery time immensely. A road bike is going to provide far better results than using a bike at the gym, as you're going to build up your core muscles substantially faster.

I can't agree with a physician who recommends weight lifting for this type of injury. The range of movement is just wrong. Pool therapy is also great, but there's nothing that compares to riding a bicycle.

Not only will your knee be stronger, but your entire aerobic system will benefit.

I'd start out at relatively high cadence (High RPM around 75-90 per min), in a high gear, so that you're putting minimal stress on your joint. The gained fitness can literally take seconds off your lap times.

Almost every GP rider and most Formula 1 drivers train on road bikes. As well, it's much easier to loose weight from your body than from your bike (if it's in race form).

Who knows, you might get hooked into a truly expensive racing sport,
Get well soon man. Glad to hear it wasn't worse. You'll be back to 100% in no time.

@s-eins I think the above (cycling) will help you tremendously. Even if you go out twice per week, you'll notice a vast improvement.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I want to echo what folks say about riding bicycles. I had a meniscus tear 15 years ago that I had arthroscopically repaired. As long as I bicycle regularly, it is strong and pain-free, but when I let the bicycling slack, it starts to act up.

I also think it is a good idea to follow doctor's orders pretty closely. I've seen too many friends really screw up their bodies by not letting them heal before trying to resume activities they shouldn't be doing. You do what to do the therapy/rehab as soon as you can, but not before the doctor says. And above all else, don't risk crashing again until you're completely healed. If this means getting off the bike or riding like a pansy, so be it. One's health is a lot more important than motorcycle riding.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. I just started walking on Friday and slowly getting more range of motion. I actually enjoy cycling outside more than at the gym but I live downtown Bangkok and if you've ever been here before you'll understand when I say it's probably more dangerous than racing.

Last edited by Newf; 12-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

@ Wolfgang, ive always tried to get into cycling but never really found the motivation for it. I'm more of a runner so it's something I'd have to get use to transitioning over. But I'm pretty sure it would help me out a lot.
Def need to consider going outside riding a bike rather than a stationary one at the gym

Sponsored Links
Advertisement