Commuting to work or school on your Bike - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > S1000RR Forum Off-Topic > S1000RR Lounge

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Default Commuting to work or school on your Bike

Saw a guy on the Interstate today with the cool Carbon backpack. Got to thinking.

For those who use their bike as primary transportation.... Yes some of us don't have cars.

Do you back pack ? Tank Bag ? or just walk around in our boots and gear all day.

What do you guys use to carry your daily essentials... lunch, sneakers, laptop etc?

Great Prices, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping, Large Inventory and Excellent Customer service.
Follow us on TWITTER & Facebook to get Exclusive SMOKIN' Deals

Celebrating our 16th year in business.
HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

backpack. it will hold laptop and maybe lunch. Casual friday usually so I'm in jeans and casual boots that protect me on the road and look ok at the office.
FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

When I'd go to work every now and then on the bike (haven't for a couple years now)... I'd have a change of shoes at the office. But typically I'd also have worked out in the morning... so I would have a backpack (Ogio No Drag).
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
DBX

full gear and backpack. change gear when I'm on the base.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

When I'm going to work typically I take a change of clothes in the backpack. I try to wear pants and boots I can wear all day. If its the summer I will take a change of shirt in the event I sweat during my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
ZoomMp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

In warmer weather, I ride my S1Krr to work more than my cars. I use a BMW tail bag. It usually carries my thermos of coffee, iPad (or laptop), bits n pieces of computer stuff, and my security credentials. I wish I could figure out a way to wear more protective gear other than jacket and gloves, but work requires me to wear “professional” clothing even though I often end up filthy by the end of the day.
RansomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My s1000rr is my rat bike. It goes everywhere.

I work with refrigeration, so I appear dressed in casual. I have two layers of sweat pants underneath my jeans. My jacket is a Gerbing's electric. The mosfet voltage regulator on our bike is awesome and keeps the battery at 14.5 volts, even at idle when heating a full electric suit. This "casual" dress is comfortable down to 20F. I have tested the full electric suit in the freezers at work at about -40F in front of the evaporator fans. Gerbings kicks ass.

I use Bates Police Tactical Boots with GoreTex and side zippers. Very comfortable and suitable for running. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. These are THE best riding boots I have seen anywhere. The Bates "riding boots" are just a worthless fashion show for the Harley freaks. Go with the police version.

My tankbag has the mushroom type velcro due to our aluminum gas tank. I use an Eclipse Elite expandable tankbag, which is big enough to hold four gallons of milk, full electric jacket, groceries, or whatever. It kicks ass. I laughed and almost fell over when I saw the BMW factory "tank bag" purse.

For security, the s1000rr is garaged at home. Out of sight, out of mind. At work it is guarded by security, cameras, fenced, and I use a Scorpio i900 self arming alarm.

My favorite tires for ice and snow are the sticky Michelin Power or Pirelli Corsas as they stick like frog's feet. There's a trick to this...if the tires are heated above freezing due to friction, it will melt the ice below and slide. I have never found a Dunlop, Conti, or Metzler worth a crap in the snow as they slide like grease. Night and day difference.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use a backpack when commuting to work (only 14 miles one way). I always wear an armored overpant and jacket over my office clothes and keep two pairs of shoes at the office (light and dark colored) as I always wear motorcycle boots (Sidi Vertigo or BMW Allround waterproof).
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

backpack HUGE fan of my KRIEGA 30. Wear pretty much anytime I ride.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Same as M-Coupe99 (about the same distance too) but I wear leather chaps over my work clothes. I keep a spare rucksack in the office in the event I need to bring my laptop home.
Hanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement