BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Has anyone tried the new Michelin RS tires yet?

11K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  I RR Fast 
#1 ·
A friend who has a '15 RR like mine tried them and loves them. He's all about going as fast as possible everywhere so I'm not sure I can count on his mileage being representative. He tried the M7's after the stock (cast wheel) OEM tires went away, the Q3's, and now these.

If the mileage was decent I might try them, they're supposed to be good for 3.5 sec/lap over the M7's, which is HUGE. They might be a good compromise between the Supercorsas I had OEM (and LOVED!) and the M7's, which I love, but think the front could be a little better.

Michelin Power RS Motorcycle Tire Review | Motorcyclist

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...otorcycle-tires-review-track-and-street-test/

Michelin?s latest Power RS sport tire just might be the new benchmark | Sport Rider

Reactions: Cianciotta
#2 ·
The Michelin rs tire is long lasting performance tire. It does really at the track up to good intermediate group pace. Not sure how many miles to expect on the street but they are a great tire. They would have better grip than the pilot power 3

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 · (Edited)
I'm about to install my second set. I love these things. I'm in B group at the track and managed 4 track days and 2500 miles on them and I'm just barely getting to the wear bars 500 miles later. These things are meaty (they just seem to have more rubber on the tire than Pirelli's). They are unbelievably stable in the corners and super predictable. I'm pretty sure the front tire was made by jesus; 167 mph down the straight at Thunderhill into turn 1 at 105 without even a wobble.
Took them to my first track day all good....then did 20 miles of road riding and they looked like they'd never been to the track. Crazy.

I'm slowly converting all of my Pirelli fan boy friends to ride these.

SUPER HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I won't be putting anything else on my RR until they make hover bikes.

#8 ·
I'm slowly converting all of my Pirelli fan boy friends to ride these.
Were they using the Supercorsas or the lower Diablo's? There's a big difference.

#19 · (Edited)
Talk is cheap my friends and tire choices are your own. Tires alone won't necessarily make you a better, faster rider since you have to make the appropriate suspension adjustments based on the tire carcass you're using as well as knowing how to maintain the proper tire pressures for whatever conditions you're riding—and the riding we're talking about here is trackdays, not racing where the latter (excluding your financial situation) is looking for grip for anywhere between 6-22 laps and not how long till the next tire change.

My fastest so far at T-hill was a 2:05 on Pirelli Race DOTs—I believe I was hitting somewhere around 105-110 through T1. You need good drive out of T15 to be able to hit higher speeds on that front straight—outright power alone will not help you unless you're running race gas and a dyno'd bike. But, 165 mph on that straight isn't too hard to achieve even with crappy exits out of T15. But even then you'll see really good riders on slightly modified R6s and CBR600s well ahead of you by the time you are at the mid-point of the straight due to skill level.

Come play in A group—all this talk about this tire and that will stop pretty quickly when you see what riders are doing on street tires.

#20 ·
When I registered for the season pass I selected B group since this is my first season at the track. I've been thinking of bumping up for the rest of the season (5 more days, 10 total this season) since I am turning 2:10's in traffic.

165mph via gps isn't too hard to achieve even with bad exits out of T15? I will ask around next time and see if that claim is true but I don't believe it

#21 · (Edited)
This is your first track season and you're hitting 2:10's? Damn son! I don't see why you and WFO aren't in A group. If you are predictable and consistent with lines and are hitting 2:10's consistently then come over and play! See if the provider can bump up your pass to A group. Which provider was it?

I hit 165mph+ on the front after really, really bad entry and exit into and out of T14 and T15 (due to really bad experiences I've never gotten past in those turns from tire slippage and bad body position on my right side—also due to the crooked front end from the bent triple which was replaced last night—we'll see if that helps). That's probably around 2/3 of the front straight—but that means some later breaking after the finish line but before the first pole on the right (tall light poles). 175mph is the target for liter bikes on that straight, but I think those are race bikes (dyno'd and race gas).

My friends on 600s were pulling ahead of me, younger, better riders and not ambi-turners like me. :eek:

#23 ·
@simes007us Sorry if the post came off as "high and mighty." I was pointing out what I considered inconsistencies in your post. B group and speeds claimed. Sounded like you should be in A group based on numbers posted. I completely forgot that BMW speedos read 8% high due to govt. regs. We all have different equipment measuring what we do.
@Bobby Johnny Hope to be in A group at T-Hill soon. Sonoma and Laguna are tracks that better suited my style and experience. Ohlins are still new to me. Sonoma settings weren't working at T-Hill. The suspension guys get you close and then you have to do your own tweaking. Like a dumb ass, the last time out, I just tried riding around the issues instead of making my own adjustments. It did not work.

#24 ·
@Bobby Johnny Hope to be in A group at T-Hill soon. Sonoma and Laguna are tracks that better suited my style and experience. Ohlins are still new to me. Sonoma settings weren't working at T-Hill. The suspension guys get you close and then you have to do your own tweaking. Like a dumb ass, the last time out, I just tried riding around the issues instead of making my own adjustments. It did not work.
I hear ya. I'm still doing my own tweaking (suspension, Rapidbike, now steering offsets). Do you find that that "softer" settings are required at Sonoma?

#29 ·
This is all well and good and fun, but.....I'd like to hear opinions of the RS, specifically with respect to comparing them to M7's and/or Supercorsas. :) I'm asking because I may need tires sooner than planned.

Reactions: A B
#31 ·
I have a hard time wanting to try any tire by the same company that produced the pilot power.. imo a death trap of a tire.

It would have to be really really good to beat the Q3. Which by the way can hold up to a 2:03 at T hill and only be a little greasy. They also work really well cold and are fairly cheap. Okay, flame on that >:)

#34 ·
POWER RS.........interesting

I just got a new set spooned on and I've only ridden them in the city so far, no canyon carving yet.

Comparing them to the M7rr I just burned through, and what I remember from the PP3; they aren't as "peaky" as I would have expected for a Michelin tire. They have this initial slow "wallow" to change direction, but once they do and are getting on the sides, the tire feels stuck. They give me the impression that they are so grippy I can feel them peeling of the road like peeling tape of off something. once they are on the sides It feels like the contact patch grows by some margin and they feel REALLY secure and locked into the trajectory you set.

Like I said I haven't hit the mountains with them yet and after that initial wallow-y sensation they do feel very sticky, capable, and planted. I was leaned over in first gear and hit the throttle and it started a wheelie while leaned over. So far I think they'll be great tires, time will tell and see how they tolerate these blazing summers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.