Supercorsa break in? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Supercorsa break in?

I'm gonna edit this a bit since I got so much **** about "break in" on tires. lol. But I've got my answer already, so no worries.
I'm picking up my bike on Friday with new supercorsa's installed. Saturday I'm headed out for a group rip, and the guys were telling me not to go with new supercorsa's. They say they take a long time to scrub and stay greasy for a long time (canyon riding), etc..
On my other bike, my Q3's were fine on a fresh install as well as the pilots. Just took it easy for a bit at the start of the ride and they wore in nice. But I don't have any history with fresh supercorsa's, so I'm trying to figure out what they are talking about. My S1kRR had a couple hundred miles on it when I bought it (demo bike)

I understand there are a number of factors such as ride style, temps, etc.. so just a general view on the supercorsa's right out of the gate? Any oddities with them?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by synthad1; 04-20-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 PM

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post

So, 5 minutes with a sander?
Done!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post

It's how I break in my tire and get rid of my chicken strip at the same time.
bennymx likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
It's how I break in my tire and get rid of my chicken strip at the same time.
LMFAO! Well I learned 2 things here today... How to break in a new tire and.......... Now I understand what you guys were calling chicken strips! LOL I been trying to figure it out without sounding dumb but I woulda never guessed the scrub lines on the tires... haha
sro likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthad1 View Post
Anyone know what the break in period for supercorsa's are?
I bought the S1kRR with a few hundred miles already on it. Just put new supercorsa's on at 3,500 miles and picking the bike up tomorrow.

I understand there are a number of factors such as ride style, temps, etc.. so just a good general rule will work.

Thanks

If you are on a track, 1 lap and you should be good to go. If you are on the street, just make sure you have ridden far enough that the tires are warm. Doubtful you will exceed traction limits even with fresh tires unless you are riding in temps below 65 degrees F.. Sometimes @bennymx 's meme photos are his way of expressing his displeasure with "dumb" questions.

I suspect those that have replied are thinking: "If you can't interpret what the bike is telling you, you shouldn't be on it." And I freely admit... that is what I was thinking.
sro, bennymx, 16S1000RR and 2 others like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
If you are on a track, 1 lap and you should be good to go. If you are on the street, just make sure you have ridden far enough that the tires are warm. Doubtful you will exceed traction limits even with fresh tires unless you are riding in temps below 65 degrees F.. Sometimes @bennymx 's meme photos are his way of expressing his displeasure with "dumb" questions.

I suspect those that have replied are thinking: "If you can't interpret what the bike is telling you, you shouldn't be on it." And I freely admit... that is what I was thinking.

Thanks.. I think...
I can certainly tell what the tires are telling me and can adjust ride style as needed. Why the response full of stupid comments trying to size me down cuz I don't know the break in on a specific tire, I don't know...

The question on break-in stems from not having history with a fresh set of pirelli's and all the misinformation on the web about their first 500 street miles..
So, anyrate, putting dumbass condescending responses aside, I'll break them in as usual to other tires and not worry about some of the comments about them.

nomorekawi likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 PM

Key to breaking in ANY tire: Common sense
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthad1 View Post
So, anyrate, putting dumbass condescending responses aside, I'll break them in as usual to other tires and not worry about some of the comments about them.
I don't think there is any exact science. It really depends on prep, temp, and riding surface.

I like to wash my tires I order online to get some residue off. From there, I take it easy for some time. I slowly increase lean angle and speed as I scrub them in.
bennymx and Bunky927 like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
I don't think there is any exact science. It really depends on prep, temp, and riding surface.

I like to wash my tires I order online to get some residue off. From there, I take it easy for some time. I slowly increase lean angle and speed as I scrub them in.

Yeah exactly. Thanks.
Reading some reviews on them and guys were bashing how long it took to scrub. I almost didn't get them again cuz dudes were saying they stay greasy for too long and were dangerous.
But, like you say, it's so subjective and so many variables. They probably put them on, did a freeway stint, then slammed a canyon at max lean.

Anyrate, thanks. I won't worry about any oddities with them compared to others. (Didn't want to type a whole story about reviews in OP)

bennymx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode