LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Dnlop race tires VS pirelli?

What race tires do you guys prefered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 PM

Garage
Really comes done to preference you may save 50 bucks on a set of Pirelli's, but you will get more life out of a set of Dunlop's. But I have a biased opinion because I work for them and of course ride them.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 AM

I too am biased towards Dunlop.

I've ridden Pirellis Supercorsas, great grip, very plush (almost vague), but wear quicker than Dunlops.

Dunlops (GPA's) also great grip, firmer (some like, others not), great wear.
Gixxerguy likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM

I get bad wear out of the Dunlop 7455 slicks but it could be a setup issue i am struggling with. However, i love the grip and the hard carcass.

Having a hard carcass takes some getting used to but it provides so much feedback that now when i ride a friends bike which has Pirellis i can't wait to finish the session. Pirellis are like riding around the race track on a couch, they're so soft and absorb so much feedback that i don't know whats going on in that tire underneath me. I find there's no feel to them.

I've crashed Pirelli's from losing the front or rear just pushing too hard because even though they have outstanding grip, when they lose grip its already too late and you're on your ass.

Whereas the Dunlops give you so much feedback that you practically get a letter in the mail warning you that you're asking too much from the tire, before it goes into an unsaveable slide. If you ignore that letter in the mail you will crash but usually you can ease off or correct and come out of the corner with just a puckered butt hole.

Dunlops all the way, i just wish i could get my setup right and get better wear.
skydivr likes this.

New to the BMW world
Race only

"-I can't afford a drug habit, i race motorcycles."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:31 AM

I use Dunlop but used to work with Pirelli tires. Dunlop are more durable and consistence until the end of their life. Both have very good grip but I think Dunlop is a bit better when leaned and on the gas.

You will never be arrested #58
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Since everyone on here is in a Dunlop love fest let me say that the Pirelli has the best all out grip of any slick made. Dunlop is a great tire when it is hot(hot outside and when ridden really hard). Pirelli maintains nearly the same level of grip nearly all of the way through the tire. Dunlops start to fall off past mid way through the tread

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
the_gooch likes this.

Street- 2014 BMW HP4

Track/Race- 2015 BMW S1000rr/ 2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R- the usual race mods.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Both companies make a great product, and of course riders will have a preference but they are both very good. The stiffer Dunlop carcass puts up with my hamfisted trailbraking better than the Pirellis, but other than that I like them both. The Pirellis feel very "plush", if you run over a dime with the Dunlops you can tell if it's heads or tails. It's great to have choices.
k9crew, wfo439 and D.Clocktower like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:19 AM

I was a Dunlop fan. Pirellis and even the Michelin Evos are a much better tire. I think the Pirelli Slick is the best tire out, nothing compares grip wise but I love the fact that the Michelin Evo is a single compound. The Dunlop front is crazy good though, I will give them that.

The Pirelli you can grip and rip at crazy lean angle and that thing just flattens out and sticks like stink on sh%T. The Michelin Evo has a feel between the Dunlop and Pirelli in terms of "squish". Grip goes to the Pirelli but the Michelin seems to have a much wider operating range and better grip then the Dunlop.
Seraphim38 and wfo439 like this.

Last edited by the_gooch; 02-17-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 PM

You are only allowed to discuss Pirelli and Dunlop. Don't distract us. Next thing you know someone will say Bridgestones are the best lol.
Cletus likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
You are only allowed to discuss Pirelli and Dunlop. Don't distract us. Next thing you know someone will say Bridgestones are the best lol.
Don't like Bridgestones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode