BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Will 2009-2011 wheels fit a 2012?

12K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  aforrest4 
#1 ·
I want to pick up a spare set of wheels for my track rubber, just want to make sure older wheels will fit without issue. :D

#3 ·
Not so fast, yes they are the same wheels but the wheel was moved a millimeter or two to the right. So you will most likely need to use your spacers from the old wheels. I know because when I fitted a set of Carrozeria's the spacers were off and the rear rotor grinded up rear caliper a little. That's when I found out about the wheel being moved.

#4 ·
Why,on earth would BMW want to move the wheel off-centre?
There is only one place for a wheel-and that's in the middle!

If you had a problem with aftermarket wheels,I would suggest the problem was not caused by BMW!

OE wheels fit straight in.I haven't measured the spacers but they look the same and the wheels fit straight in,with no problem.

#7 · (Edited)
@DBX, if you used your original spacers it would not make a difference.

@gixerconvert, that the way it is. Like it or not, stupid or not, BMW moved the wheel. The aftermarket wheels came with new spacers and the rear was not where it used to be. I was not the first to have this issue. When you call the any aftermarket company that uses different size bearings and different spacers they will ask you what year do you have. I told them 2010

To further complicate things I light crank 2010, an that's the spacers they gave me, only to find out I needed the spacers for a 2011-12.

I lost two track days and $500 over this issue, I know what I am talking about. If you buy OEM wheels, use your current spacers, if you but aftermarket wheels with new spacers pay attention to the rear rotors alignment inside the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#8 ·
Actually,you do not know what you are talking about!
There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between OEM '10/11 wheels and '12 wheels.Also the spacers are exactly the same.
If you had a problem with your Carrozeria wheels then I suggest they were the problem-not BMW altering their motorcycle.

Just for the record,sometime this week I will fit '10 PVM and '10 BST wheels to a 2012 bike.(I don't need to fit the front because I know they will fit)My betting is they will go straight in-and if they don't I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

#9 ·
I would like to update this post. I have a 2011 (Bent rear Rim), and just got a 2012 rear rim. Tried putting on with original 2011 spacers and it would not fit. The rotor would not slide up into the pads.

Had to put the 2012 spacer on, and now everything looks and rides fine. I attached a pic of the two spacers. The one on the right (or top) is the 2012 (smaller).

Attachments

#10 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been on this forum for months hoping to actually learn some kind of valuable information about the S1000. Finally, someone posted information with a picture that shows something I might need to know (if I was in the market for spare or new wheels).

Its sooooo refreshing to get some actual facts rather than post after post of opinion with no factual back up.

Dog

#12 · (Edited)
Did I read this right - you can use 2010 wheels on a 2012 if you use the spacers that came with the wheels? Or 2012 wheels on a 2010 again using the 2012 spacers?
Never mind, I just reread the posts. Keep the spacers that came with the bike and use either wheel.

Perhaps they moved the wheel to the right to get more space for the chain?

#18 ·
I have bst wheels on my 2011 BMW and have had extra sets of oem wheels from 2011 and 2012 and there was not any difference in any of them. I have also mounted my wheels to my friends bike without any problems at trackdays. I have three sets of spacers and carriers and they are all the same

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
For the start of the '12 model BMW used the old wheels for some reason!??

Fact: 9-11 wheels are the same as 12.
Spacers on 09-11 is not the same as on 2012.

Which ever model you have, use the spacers that came with the bike!

Chain side spacer size -2011. 24.3mm
Chain side spacer size 2012- 19.3mm

BMW S1000R / RR, wheel chucks, from 2012, € 34,90

That said, this is pretty fXcking confusing when buying aftermarket/original wheels secondhand!

#20 ·
I still maintain there is no difference between 10/11 wheels and 12' wheels,however,at some stage it appears bmw may have used a different supplier for the rear sprocket carrier which possibly needed different spacers on the leftside.
I have never had a problem fitting OE 10' wheels to a 12' and vice versa inc HP4 and also PVM and BST.
If in doubt,use the sprocket carrier specific to the wheel as,as far as I am aware,there is no difference in swingarm width on any model.
Just for the record,HP4 wheels will fit s1000rr and vice versa,as long as you use the wheel specific sprocket carrier/discs.

#22 ·
The spacer and the sprocket carrier were changed at the same time, somewhere in 2012. So - keep the sprocket carrier and spacer together and you can fit any wheel you want. Or use the sprocket carrier and spacer that came with the new wheel. The wheel didn't change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.