Drag racing - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat


» Insurance
» Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default Drag racing

Went to Gainesville drag strip Weds. night (test & tune) and best run on 700 mile bike was 10.75 (with a slow 60' launch @ 2.2 sec.) but with a BIG Speed of 155.72 mph !!! The modified Busa riders couldn't believe my speed. The top speed is indicative of the horsrepower these things make. This was the last pass of the night, 66 degs., 180lb novice rider. This was in 'race mode' with traction control on, shifting second, third and fourth @ 12,000 rpm. This thing ate a CBR 1000 (that got me on a hole shot) and I ran him down like it was a 600. He ran 140mphs all night with the same ET. Only a turbo charged, stretched Hayabusa had a better speed than the bone stock BMW. A nitrous, stretched ZX10 had a quicker ET also (8.9) but I had him on speed too. These things are freiggen fast, next week I'll try shifting at 13,000 and a few runs with traction control off. With a lighter pro jockey these things can get 9's. Anyone there yet???
Glenn P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,025
Default

This bike is for real. But we already knew that.
__________________
13 BMW M5
13 ZL1
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 271
Default

If you can program your shift light to come on at 10.5k and turn off at 13.5k, keep it so you have that light flashing the entire 1/4 mile and you'll blow your mind when you see your results.

Here's the MPH chart for each gear from 10.5k to 13.5k so you can have an idea of the speeds you'll see, and if you look at a dyno for those RPMs that is THE sweet spot.

1st:69-89
2nd:88-113
3rd:106-137
4th:123-158
5th:135-174

So when you shift to 2nd it should put you right at 10.6k, 2nd to 3rd should put you at 11.2k, 3rd to 4th would be 11.75k, 4th to 5th would be 12.2k.

You can notice the higher the gear the closer it keeps you to the max HP that you get at 13k, the HP dosn't just drop after 13k, it creeps down a little before hitting the limiter, but if you can keep your revs at 13.5k before shifting it will improve your times.
NateSKRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P View Post
a slow 60' launch @ 2.2 sec.
Wait, does the traction control not work very well for launching?

I thought 60' times (in addition to final speed) would be the one place the traction control would let you surprise the long swing-arm simpletons.

Hell, I did a 1.92 sec launch on a Husky SM510R, and was being a total wussy on the launch (too easy to stand up a big torquey supermoto on that sticky drag strip)
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Wait, does the traction control not work very well for launching?

I thought 60' times (in addition to final speed) would be the one place the traction control would let you surprise the long swing-arm simpletons.

Hell, I did a 1.92 sec launch on a Husky SM510R, and was being a total wussy on the launch (too easy to stand up a big torquey supermoto on that sticky drag strip)
It's hard to get used to the fact that DTC will save your ass in a full throttle start, every other bike you'll end up on your back. It's just a matter of building up enough courage to try it.
NateSKRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSKRR View Post
It's hard to get used to the fact that DTC will save your ass in a full throttle start, every other bike you'll end up on your back. It's just a matter of building up enough courage to try it.
TC is horrible for launching and should be left off until you start making turns. It cuts power and makes the motor bog like you just dumped the clutch, then the power comes back on, causing a wheelie or tire spin, which causes the power to be cut again in a vicious cycle. Some people prefer to leave TC off for a lap or two, or until the batshit jockeying for position mellows out. This kinda defies the argument that TC helps to manage cold tire slides, but sometimes you need all the power you can get, even at the expense of a big, gnarly slide or a big wheelie.
tcchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcchin View Post
TC is horrible for launching and should be left off until you start making turns. It cuts power and makes the motor bog like you just dumped the clutch, then the power comes back on, causing a wheelie or tire spin, which causes the power to be cut again in a vicious cycle. Some people prefer to leave TC off for a lap or two, or until the batshit jockeying for position mellows out. This kinda defies the argument that TC helps to manage cold tire slides, but sometimes you need all the power you can get, even at the expense of a big, gnarly slide or a big wheelie.
Maybe I'm not pushing the bike hard enough, or being abrupt enough to get this "vicious cycle" but I've had no problem like this, power has been smooth, but most of my traction control is in the wrist.
NateSKRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kismetcapitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 1,765
Default

10.7, nice work! Drag racing, although it's "just going in a straight line", is a sport precisely because of the skill involved in launching (get into funny cars or top fuel, then there skill in trying to **stay** in a straight line!!).

9.9 has been done on this bike with a pro rider, quicker than a ZX-14 on the same track, same day. Stock.
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

9.9 is a good time for any stock standard bike,but makes me wonder what the mph would be for such a time if 10.70 @ 156 mph is true? so must be at least 165mph for a 9.9 second run..to be honest i find that very hard to believe in any case hayabusas and zx 14 have done stock standard 9.5-9.6 1/4 mile
but their mph have not been that high.. would they have so much midrange grunt that they still destroy the s1000rr in the 1/4 mile? i think so!

Last edited by gstring; 04-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.
gstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Avboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
9.9 is a good time for any stock standard bike,but makes me wonder what the mph would be for such a time if 10.70 @ 156 mph is true? so must be at least 165mph for a 9.9 second run..to be honest i find that very hard to believe in any case hayabusas and zx 14 have done stock standard 9.5-9.6 1/4 mile
but their mph have not been that high.. would they have so much midrange grunt that they still destroy the s1000rr in the 1/4 mile? i think so!
no way a STOCK non strapped ZX14 or busta hits mid 9's. a 9.9 *maybe*

now if you strap it down, then it's possible.

Then again, strap down the S1000RR and add a swing arm and you're looking at an 8 second bike easy.
Avboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© S1000RRforum.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum