BMW S1000RR Forum banner

DTC and drag racing?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN 
#1 ·
I've bought an s1000rr track bike and my first outing on it will be at a test n tune drag race meet.Can't wait for the next track day :)
I'm running slicks and would like to spin up the rear ( burn out) to warm up the rear as cold slickas are slippery.
Q: will the traction control allow me to do this?
It also has slick mode.
Q: Whats a good tyre pressure for drag racing on a slick?

I'm very excited and a little nervous as I've herd these bikes are a bit of a weapon.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies,its a used slick so not worried about flat spotting it,probably ideal as plenty of rubber in the centre but little on the sides :)
Will run as is for the first couple of runs ,then may try a strap to bring the front down,how much would you normally compress the forks with a strap?

My last run at the drag strip was on an Aprilia RSV4 and managed a 10.6,would love to be able to go sub 10 and by the sounds of it these bikes are easlily capable of it.
Although weather is looking a bit ordinary at the moment so may not get a run:(

#7 ·
Being an ex race bike ,it has no road gear,ohlins all round,full akro system,PC5,520 chain and track gearing,filter etc,i'm about 162lbs and have done a couple of drag races before ,my reaction time is pretty good for a relative newbie at this.

#6 ·
if you can lower the bike through the tripples i would go around 1" as without doing the rear at the same time it makes the bike handle very unstable. if you plan on racing it competively you will need the rear lowering links. strap the front just enough to take the upward tension or spring rebound away. think of just strapping your bike down to haul but just tension it a little. being short wheelbase you will have to slip the clutch out alot to get it to 60. ive never raced my bmw but have a turbo busa and a gsxr 1000 i race...

#10 ·
Well my best time was a 9:8 at 153MPH,I'm happy with that,pretty cool to have a bike that goes under 10 sec.Had a bit of trouble getting it off the line,either bogged down or wheelied like crazy,going half the length of the 1/4 with the front wheel in the air was fun ang still managed a 10:1 on that run Luv it,great bike,track day next.:)

#14 ·
I hadn't dragged raced in 6 years... Ran my 2010 S1000 at 10.55 @ 141mph on 5th pass. Only 1.9 60ft, and I'm 215 Ibs. Get my 60 down in low 1.? I should run 9s

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I got nearly the same on my first drag night, around 10.5 with traction on but got much higher trap speed due to my bike's mods and my weight of 180. Is your bike stock? Did you run with traction on?
You could run in the 9s but you may need a front strap kit at least to help you put the power down much earlier and harder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.