BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Downshifting in RACE mode vs SLICK mode

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DBX 
#1 ·
Since my first ride after installing the slick plug, I have felt as though downshifting feels different in the various modes, particularly when comparing Race and Slick mode...

It's very possible that this could be in my imagination, but after side-by-side comparisons, I really do feel as though downshifting and closing the throttle in Race mode produces a more dramatic deceleration than the same operation in Slick mode.

Anyone else have this experience? Is there any mechanical explanation for this phenomenon?

#2 ·
What you are feeling is the lack of engine braking in slick mode. It is very noticeable. Feels like the damn thing will coast forever in slick mode with no throttle input and still in gear.

This is the only thing that bothers me about this bike, petty I know. I prefer the engine braking in Race mode to Slick.

I have a '12 and it is supposed to be better than previous models.

#4 ·
Do you guys find Slick mode to be faster than Race? I just am a bit torn between which is more aggressive...

Can I get a rider's review about it? I'm familiar with the spec and feature variations, but I am wondering if anyone else feels the way I do about the modes.

I'm not sure that Slick mode is aggressive enough beyond Race that it necessitates a special plug installation-or maybe race mode should require a special plug as well? I just don't see Race as much of a step down from Slick...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
I honestly cannot tell a big difference between slick and Race. I have run both modes up through redline and in the fat part of the power curve, 10K-13k and just don't feel a big difference. Everything I've read thus far for 2012 is that the only difference is lean angle intrusion via the TRC, vs different fuel maps. In fact, the manual states there are only 2 fuel maps for 12, one for Rain and 1 for the other 3. The only real obvious thing I find different in rain and slick is the engine braking, far less in slick, which I really enjoy. Pushed hard to the limits on the track presumably you'd feel much less TRC intrusion from lean angle in Slick than Race.
Some 2012 owners who have owned pre 12's have mentioned that while the 12 is more linear and smooth in the power delivery, they miss the more radical hit on top in race or slick, when there were different maps. It also was one of the areas of criticism that BMW worked to alleviate for 12, (a less snatchy throttle.)

#5 ·
Slick mode does have less engine braking, and its great!

This reduction of engine braking is normally done by keeping the injectors working slightly while the throttle is closed, and I imagine that is exactly what is going on in the s1000rr too.
My guess is that this feature of this mode is most likely the real reason that there is a slick mode plug. Most modern bikes and cars completely shut the injectors off when the throttle is closed to save fuel, and to get through emissions testing.

#11 ·
Slick mode doesn't have engine breaking? Are we riding the same bike??

Every mode has the same engine breaking, the only difference is that in slick mode during deceleration only spark cut is, without cutting fuel. This adds responsiveness when getting back on the throttle in exchange for worse gas mileage and fouling o2 sensors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.