BMW S1000RR Forum banner

ECU unlock or PCV/Bazazz

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pimpedc6 
#1 · (Edited)
ECU unlock by BMW or PCV/Bazazz

Can anyone tell me which will be the best route to go when that time arises when i add a full system? Is there any truth to you adding a full system and pcv/bazazz to your bike that you void the warranty?

#5 · (Edited)
That's not the same as goin into ecu and changing programs I don't blame BMW if they won't cover warranty if you reflash the ecu is your choice do it loose warranty or do it and experience the bikes full potential:cool:

#13 · (Edited)
Reflashing the ecu does not create a voidable warranty situation, to the best of my knowledge. There are federal and state acts that are generally much friendlier to the consumer than the supplier (dealer). There is also an extreme amount of case law on this very issue, which favors the consumer (again, in nearly all cases, save for gross negligence). At most BMW could naturally attempt to deny coverage on the ECU and items it controls. Though BMW could also say your bike can't be released to you, because you've not installed seat belts. Hypothetical,absurd,examples are the reason lawyers exist.

To that end,BMW can say anything. It does not mean what they are saying is legally sound. In regard to the ecu example, It's unlikely they'd get far in voiding the warranty. As a side note, something does not become automatically void, in most cases. Rather a contract, of which a warranty falls into the category of, is "voidable." But, again, it is very difficult to do. The M.M. Warranty Act provides a framework, along with more recent case law which puts BMW on the defensive. If someone at your dealer tells you that your warranty is void, and they refuse to work on your bike,ask to speak to the manager,but also call BMW customer care, and while you're at it, it's a good idea to ask to speak to the regional manager.

BMW techs like to pretend they attended law school. They did not, at least 99.99% of them; that is not to say thatworking on high end sport bikes all day is not a fun and equally important profession.But, they (most BMW dealer personnel are in no position to quote warranty laws to you aka- scare the crap out of you, believing you're brand new bike's future repairs are now your responsibility. That's just not how the world works,luckily).

Personally I'd be comfortable reflashing my own ecu, if I knew how. Again give bmw customer care a try. They can be very helpful (if you catch them on a good day). Otherwise a lemon lawyer, who is paid by the manufacturer,not out of your pocket, can usually help you within a matter of a few days.

Worst case is BMW could succeed IN VOIDING your warranty;though they could not void the entire warranty for playing with the ecu. For example- while it's unlikely bmw would succeed in voiding any part of your warranty, if by some rare chance they did find a way to void your ecu warranty, your suspension warranty would still be in effect along with every other part of your bike, that is covered by the bfactorybwarranty.

Send from my iPad. Please excuse any errors.

#14 ·
Per BMW NA warranty book, it does void certain parts of your warranty to install full exhaust or PCV/Bazzaz. Some dealers tell you that it wont until your engine blows and then they stick you with the bill. I havent installed a full exhaust or PCV because of that. Go to the dealer installing the stuff and ask them to put it in writing that they will honor your warranty even if BMW wont. 99% of dealers wont. GL with suing BMW and going into court quoting the MM act. Read your warranty manual and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.