S1000rr vs MotoGP Bike? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Panigale is pig in Itialian? No?
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Today at Jerez Melandri (in spite of a badly hurting shoulder) did a WSBK testers best of 1:40.816 with regular race tires.

The best of the Ducati MotoGP team doing testing at the same time was Hayden with a 1:40.090 (which is a good, competitive time for Jerez). The second of the MotoGP guys was Iannone with a 1:40.989 - slower than Melandri (and that was still considered a "good" result for a new Ducati rider).

The fact that they are that close is simply stunning and shows you just how fast WSBK has become.

Also, Badovini on the new Panigale did a 1:44.529...
Cant compare those times because we dont know what they were testing and we also all know the GP12 aint the fastest representation of motogp.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

2012 Misano pole time by Checa: 1:36.5
2012 Misano pole time by Pedrosa: 1:33.8

Almost 3 seconds which is an eternity in racing.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Cant compare those times because we dont know what they were testing and we also all know the GP12 aint the fastest representation of motogp.
Actually, we know what they were testing - you can read it all on the Italian blogs.

As I mentioned, they were both running race tires (not qualifying) and a low 1.40 is a good race pace time. For reference, pole this year was a 1m 38.780s (Stoner) and that was with qualifiers! It's not the that GP guys were slow, it's that the WSBK are scary fast (BMW and Kawasaki at least)... yesterday Sykes did a 1:40.4!

Of course MotoGP bikes are quicker, and on certain circuits more so than others, but the fact that WSBK got as close as it has is remarkable.
apessino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Absolutely amazing thread! I had no idea the bikes were that above and beyond what we have, I just thought the riders had insane technique/bigger balls that allowed them to corner better and some engine upgrades that increased top end.

Based on what all of you have said, I can't believe someone can even hold on to something that powerful.

I appreciate the education.
Pseudolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

^Seriously. I've been riding since I was 16 (23 now), and have just now really gotten into superbikes; all of your accumulated knowledge has really been enlightening. Thanks, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Rudehugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #27 (permalink)

with about $100K in upgrades, you can build yourself a WSBK replica - the parts are supposed to be available to the public according to the rules.

getting the power up there isn't the main expense. it's the weight loss that WSBK bikes go through - over 100lbs lighter than stock.

and the Suter-BMW was hurting on power this year compared to the Aprilia-powered CRT bikes. The street RSV4 is slower and less powerful than the BMW, but in race tune, it's cranking out lots of power. My best guess is that the 20hp deficit of the street bike is because Aprilia has to warranty those engines, and if they sold them in a 200hp tune, those engines wouldn't last very long.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

All the CRT bikes are down on power compared to the WSBK equivilents due to the fact they are limited to 12 engines for the season (6 for the factory prototypes) where as in WSBK there are no limits on the number of engines - they could use 12 in a weekend if they wanted!

If the engine has to last longer you have to turn it down a bit.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
All the CRT bikes are down on power compared to the WSBK equivilents due to the fact they are limited to 12 engines for the season (6 for the factory prototypes) where as in WSBK there are no limits on the number of engines - they could use 12 in a weekend if they wanted!

If the engine has to last longer you have to turn it down a bit.
Exactly right!

Max Biaggi went through nearly 30 engines during his first WSBK championship on the Aprillia.

Compare that do CRT gets 12 and MotoGP for next year gets only 5 engines.
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
with about $100K in upgrades, you can build yourself a WSBK replica - the parts are supposed to be available to the public according to the rules.

getting the power up there isn't the main expense. it's the weight loss that WSBK bikes go through - over 100lbs lighter than stock.

and the Suter-BMW was hurting on power this year compared to the Aprilia-powered CRT bikes. The street RSV4 is slower and less powerful than the BMW, but in race tune, it's cranking out lots of power. My best guess is that the 20hp deficit of the street bike is because Aprilia has to warranty those engines, and if they sold them in a 200hp tune, those engines wouldn't last very long.
I dont think that's correct... the rules limit the twins for example to 171kg minimum (4 cyclinders can be 6kgs less). A showroom stock 1098r is listed at 164kg.
Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement