S1000rr vs MotoGP Bike? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc. View Post
Ask Collin Edwards hes riding a bike that has a BMW engine and I think he finish last or almost last in most races
^This. Plus he's on a special race frame with extensive chassis modification and thousands upon thousands dumped into making it as competitive as possible which is far above and beyond what our bikes are in close to stock form.
raylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwian View Post
What is so special about the trans to cost $750k ?
Here is some reading for ya on Honda's seamless transmission.

http://www.zeroshift.com/assets/pdf/...ws%20May11.pdf

Honda's Magic Gearbox: Worth A Few Hundredths A Shift | MotoMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

Is an Advanced Gearbox Giving Honda's MotoGP Racers an Edge? - Motorcyclist Magazine
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Cool, Thanks !

I read about zeroshift a few years ago, but figured they went out of business, since i had not read any updates about them.
bmwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

I agree with people here saying that there is no comparison. But out of curiosity, if we were to put about $40000 worth of upgrades in the bike, could we get close to the world superbike machines? ($10,000 ohlins forks, ridiculous engine work to get to 220 hp, etc...?)

That is why I think sometimes watching world superbike is more interesting as there is more realism to it, while motogp is looking at someone that I will never be as good as EVER, with a machine that takes 20 people to maintain....

PS: Don't worry guys I'm not kidding myself, there's no way I could be as good as some of the world superbike guys either haha
Mapoipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoipoi View Post
I agree with people here saying that there is no comparison. But out of curiosity, if we were to put about $40000 worth of upgrades in the bike, could we get close to the world superbike machines? ($10,000 ohlins forks, ridiculous engine work to get to 220 hp, etc...?)

That is why I think sometimes watching world superbike is more interesting as there is more realism to it, while motogp is looking at someone that I will never be as good as EVER, with a machine that takes 20 people to maintain....

PS: Don't worry guys I'm not kidding myself, there's no way I could be as good as some of the world superbike guys either haha

I agree, well said
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

How about 0-60, 0-100, ft. lbs torque and more precise HP stats for motogp bike vs S1000rr?

Just if anyone happens to know.. I've tried searching and have had a bit of a difficult time coming up with anything definitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Rudehugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default MotoGP spec

ProductionRacer — Infos, News, Galleries

Here is the BMW ("CRT") bike called Production Racer. The specs, etc. can be read in English. I love the bike but prefer the alpha Racing bits and engine mods. Still not MotoGP spec, but now that Dorna is restricting the GP bike electronics to Euro 200,000 soon, BMW is going into MotoGP in 2014 rumors have it. I have seen photos of the bike being tested.

2013 BMW HP4 #555 (HP4 Superbuild)
2011 BMW S1000rr WSSK Racebike
2010 BMW S1000rr AMA Spec Racebike

http://www.alpha-bmw.com

https://www.facebook.com/alphabmw

https://www.facebook.com/george.villar
George Villar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Villar View Post
ProductionRacer Infos, News, Galleries

Here is the BMW ("CRT") bike called Production Racer. The specs, etc. can be read in English. I love the bike but prefer the alpha Racing bits and engine mods. Still not MotoGP spec, but now that Dorna is restricting the GP bike electronics to Euro 200,000 soon, BMW is going into MotoGP in 2014 rumors have it. I have seen photos of the bike being tested.
So that would be a track bike? Not street legal?

Rudehugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudehugh View Post
How about 0-60, 0-100, ft. lbs torque and more precise HP stats for motogp bike vs S1000rr?

Just if anyone happens to know.. I've tried searching and have had a bit of a difficult time coming up with anything definitive.

You wont find number on any current bikes because the teams aint telling jack. Just like F1. Those guys predict power and rpms on rivals by analyzing the sounds as the go down the main straight at 200 mph.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Today at Jerez Melandri (in spite of a badly hurting shoulder) did a WSBK testers best of 1:40.816 with regular race tires.

The best of the Ducati MotoGP team doing testing at the same time was Hayden with a 1:40.090 (which is a good, competitive time for Jerez). The second of the MotoGP guys was Iannone with a 1:40.989 - slower than Melandri (and that was still considered a "good" result for a new Ducati rider).

The fact that they are that close is simply stunning and shows you just how fast WSBK has become.

Also, Badovini on the new Panigale did a 1:44.529...
apessino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement