HP ECU help - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage
Default HP ECU help

I have just bought a 2010 race bike with HP ECU.
The traction control is not working and the light is staying constant.
Just wondering if anyone has come across this or if I am missing something obvious.
The previous owner had it to several dealerships to try and fix but met with dead ends. Most dealers here in Aus know little to nothing about race bikes or the HP ECU.

On another note what clutch or plates are any other racers using?

Cheers

Rick

wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning - stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia
senator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

to alter settings you need the hp calibration kit did you get this when you purchased the bike? this is a separate purchase to the hp ecu, but fitting the ecu shouldnt cause any problems with the traction control.
this may sound obvious but check the following:
make sure wheel sensor rings are fitted and not damaged, make sure the front wheel is fitted the righ way (sensor ring should be on the left side) has the abs block been disconnected? this is under the seat near the battery, lastly and most obvious is the traction control swithched of using the switch on the left handlebar?

we use standard clutch plates with an stm slipper clutch, the stm allows for smoother race starts, never had any problem with the standard clutch plates
antonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also might check for a short circuit in the hand control for traction control
Jimmyc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

as i understand since the ligth is solid state on, maybe the dtc is deativated unless at the begining of the cycle flash with the abs ligth?
more info needed to diagnose the fail.
did you try to long press the dtc button
evildrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default HP Race ECU

The ECU has a base map in it from whomever the ECU was purchased from. The DTC function can be ON, OFF or modified - but to get to the bottom of this, you need to find out who did the base MAP.

The sensors may be malfunctioning too.

2013 BMW HP4 #555 (HP4 Superbuild)
2011 BMW S1000rr WSSK Racebike
2010 BMW S1000rr AMA Spec Racebike

http://www.alpha-bmw.com

https://www.facebook.com/alphabmw

https://www.facebook.com/george.villar

Last edited by George Villar; 10-15-2013 at 07:17 AM.
George Villar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Villar View Post
The ECU has a base map in it from whomever the ECU was purchased from. The DTC function is can be ON, OFF or modified - but to get to the bottom of this, you need to find out who did the base MAP.

The sensors may be malfunctioning too.
you cant actually turn the dtc off using the calibration sotware, but you can change when it starts to cut in, but that isnt the problem, if the light is staying on then the dtc is de-activated either by the on/off switch on the handlebar or other things may have been unplugged, start with the simple things first, wheel sensors fitted? or fitted correctly, trace wire loom from front sensor to make sure it is plugged in (it plugs in through the frame hole on the l/h side), the rear one is under the seat, try all the small things first if that leads nowhere send me a mesage and i will give you my number (i live in perth) and we will get it sorted
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Try holding the ABS/DTC button till both turn off. If the TC light stays on, get a dealer to read the fault memory.

Warning light = fault code.
MasterTommy NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

Thanks very much guys for your replies.

I will check the things you guys have mentioned.

Yes I have the calibration kit. Yes the abs is bypassed and the module still connected.

Pressing and holding the abs/tc button does nothing. I might try the switch block off my road bike just to make sure it's not the problem, but the previuos owner said they had checked that.

Antonn, re the clutch. Exactly what I wanted to know. Do you find the stm hard on plates?

Again, thank you guys

wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning - stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
Thanks very much guys for your replies.

I will check the things you guys have mentioned.

Yes I have the calibration kit. Yes the abs is bypassed and the module still connected.

Pressing and holding the abs/tc button does nothing. I might try the switch block off my road bike just to make sure it's not the problem, but the previuos owner said they had checked that.

Antonn, re the clutch. Exactly what I wanted to know. Do you find the stm hard on plates?

Again, thank you guys
the stm is easier o the plates than the std clutch, there is no bunny-hopping on the starts so no need to slip it as much. (if you are looking at buying one try motodex germany very good pricing and fast shipping)

one more thing with your dtc, it may be worth investing in a gs911 that way you can read and reset fault codes, an example of this is if you put in a rear wheel without a sensor ring then the quickshift will stop working and wont work until you have cleared the fault.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonn View Post
the stm is easier o the plates than the std clutch, there is no bunny-hopping on the starts so no need to slip it as much. (if you are looking at buying one try motodex germany very good pricing and fast shipping)

one more thing with your dtc, it may be worth investing in a gs911 that way you can read and reset fault codes, an example of this is if you put in a rear wheel without a sensor ring then the quickshift will stop working and wont work until you have cleared the fault.
Thanks a lot Antonn. I think motodex does suter slippers.
A low use stm out of Allerton's bike was for sale not long ago. Might check out if it's still around. The one in the new bike is done anyway so may as well replace with something better.
I will invest in gs911 at your advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement