Clutch Cable came of, ball no longer on cable!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clutch Cable came of, ball no longer on cable!!

Cliff Notes:

Questions:

1. Is the clutch cable covered under the manufacturers 3 year warranty?

Bike is 100% stock and was in for warranty work concerning the shift star detent plate and was replaced under warranty. complained at time of clutch lever feedback under shifting.

So as title states the cable came loose for my clutch and there is no longer a ball or grommet located where the spring enter the lever and bracket assembly. So cable is loose (actually two cables under the rubber sheath) and is running to the motor area under fairing....

NO pics but I described well enough for the ones capable of helping I'm Sure.

Ok so I talked to local BMW dealer and I have the Service writers cell so I spoke with him even though they are closed today. This happened just before midnight sunday. Spring came loose at 60 In 4th gear, somehow I managed to get into 2nd without the clutch but got stuck in the far right lane. With the help of a good samaritan (a Marine from camp pendleton , who didnt ride but had friends that did) We got it off the road, (into nuetral) and in a parking lot)

Im taking it into the BMW dealer still within 3 year warranty.

1. Is the clutch cable covered under the manufacturers 3 year warranty?

Thanks
Bobby

Last edited by knownlimits; 11-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
knownlimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Unless it can be shown that an aftermarket lever caused the failure it should be covered.

Techs sometimes forget to grease the grommet. It will bind otherwise and over time the resulting flex will weaken and ultimately result in the cable failing.

Last edited by socal; 11-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.
socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement