Clutch Cable came of, ball no longer on cable!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Cable came of, ball no longer on cable!!

Cliff Notes:

Questions:

1. Is the clutch cable covered under the manufacturers 3 year warranty?

Bike is 100% stock and was in for warranty work concerning the shift star detent plate and was replaced under warranty. complained at time of clutch lever feedback under shifting.

So as title states the cable came loose for my clutch and there is no longer a ball or grommet located where the spring enter the lever and bracket assembly. So cable is loose (actually two cables under the rubber sheath) and is running to the motor area under fairing....

NO pics but I described well enough for the ones capable of helping I'm Sure.

Ok so I talked to local BMW dealer and I have the Service writers cell so I spoke with him even though they are closed today. This happened just before midnight sunday. Spring came loose at 60 In 4th gear, somehow I managed to get into 2nd without the clutch but got stuck in the far right lane. With the help of a good samaritan (a Marine from camp pendleton , who didnt ride but had friends that did) We got it off the road, (into nuetral) and in a parking lot)

Im taking it into the BMW dealer still within 3 year warranty.

1. Is the clutch cable covered under the manufacturers 3 year warranty?

Thanks
Bobby

Last edited by knownlimits; 11-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Unless it can be shown that an aftermarket lever caused the failure it should be covered.

Techs sometimes forget to grease the grommet. It will bind otherwise and over time the resulting flex will weaken and ultimately result in the cable failing.

Last edited by socal; 11-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode