To Brembo RCS19 or not to - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation To Brembo RCS19 or not to

Well, here it goes.

I've been researching what benefits one would gain from upgrading the OEM Master Brake Cylinder to a Brembo RCS19.

I'll try to summarize what I have been told, and heard from those "that use the 19RCS" and those "who install it."

I like the feel of the pulling the brake lever and "feeling" the progressive increase in braking force as I pull the the lever based on my need.

When swapping to a 19RCS the following comments are a summary of comments I got:

* Great initial bite then.... no feedback after that
* More instant (light switch on/off) bite/brake force - no smooth braking
* Many "racers" have tried the RCS19 and swapped back to the OEM

So, we all know Brembo makes the best when it comes to brakes, but when should one consider the 19RCS upgrade?
I don't want just to mark it on a spec list as "yup, got that one too."
What is the real benefit? Does it actually makes things better or does it increase your risk to tuck the front wheel?

So, hope to hear from all of you that have the RCS19, have tried it and went back to OEM, etc.

When does it make sense to do this upgrade?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Cheers,
KlausBeemerS1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting topic, friend of mine just upgraded his gixxa thou and couldnt believe how good mine was OE.............
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I have the Brembo19x20 and will never go back to stock. Feel is great for trail braking.
The RCS is about $100 but I don't care/need for the adjustable part.
If you know someone who has the master cylinder on thpier bike. You should go and give it a try.
Everyone has there own opinion on lever feel.
Mad Yellow Bumble Bee

Last edited by yangins; 11-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.
yangins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a brembo masters on my other bikes. the nisin on the BMW works just as well if not better.

on some brembo systems with 18x20 (?)(master, monobloc, oem brembo pads) you get alot more initial bite which I don't like. But I think you can tune it with pads.

19x20 requires more effort but you get feel.

Last edited by fast4d; 11-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Before trying the mc upgrade try going to Brembo race brake pads. Supposed to be for race use only but I am happily using them on the street. They have given the single largest braking improvement of any brake upgrade I have tried before on any bike. Amazing initial bite with fantastic powerful modulation. I have never had so much confidence trail braking so late. About $250.00. The downside is I have been told not to expect much more than about 3500 km of use. Don't care, the improvement is well worth it.
Mtheo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I suppose it's very much a personal thing. I bought a used bike that had the Brembo master on it, maybe a bit more feel at higher pressures, but quite honestly my 2011 is fine without it (same pads on both bikes), so no I would not buy one, knowing now the difference in feel (for me anyway). Different pads would be a better choice.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've changed over to the rcs19 for track use and it's so much better than the stock Nissin that I would have to recommend it. The stock setup is really squishy and gives almost no feedback when used really hard.

Note however that if I was not a track rider that the stock m/c would have been plenty good enough. On the street the stock master felt fine and stopped the bike really well.

Also note though that I know some fast guys running at the same track as me with the standard setup and it works fine or them.
It's really up to you. If you like to have good feedback and a lever that stays hard regardless of how hard the brakes are used then the stock setup leaves a lot to be desired but, it's not totally crap either.

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had the Brembo and now have an Accossato, it has better feel
Choppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

my experience is quite the opposite, but you also have to factor in Brembo M4 monoblocs and Galfer track pads.

my brake setup is a lot more progressive than stock. initial bite is LESS, but maximum brake power is higher. it feels like I need a little more lever travel to get the same braking level as with the Nissin, but lever force is still light (never feels hard to pull), and it is FAR more progressive than stock.

I'm pretty picky about my brakes being bled, and I hate mushy lever feel; my setup is firm enough for my liking. I first installed the M4s on my 2010, then the RCS19. At first I thought something was installed wrong as the bite was less, but I quickly found that I could control braking much more finely than before. I trail brake sometimes now, something I'd never have dared to do with the stock brakes.

FWIW, I set my RCS19 to "20" and have left it there. The complete brake system was ported over to my 2012 so from new I had the same brake feel and power I was used to on my 2010. But I did have a demo 2012 for a couple days to compare the feel with.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have my RSC19 turned all the way to 20 like Kis. I like the master a lot. It offers a lot of feedback for trail braking. That said, I don't think I'd ever bother with one for street use. I rode a friend's Aprilia on the street with a non-adjustable race/billet Brembo (I can't remember the size) and I thought it was overkill.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement