Strange issue - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
Right hand switch block mate. Known problem and your dealer is taking the micky, mine fessed up right off the bat and replaced same under warranty.
Forgot to touch base about this issue.
Took the bike out for the day, it was pretty more down my way.
Stopped off at the local petrol station to fill up. Went to restart bike, no response. Wouldnt start.
Had to wait around for a few hrs for my roadside assist, eventually they came and the bike has been at the shop for about a week and a half.

BMW have told me that its the starter switch causing the issue, got to wait a few more days for the parts to arrive from Germany.
But im skeptical that this solves my original issue.
The first time i had problems, the bike cut out while i was riding it, at speed, on a racetrack. Why would a faulty starter siwtch cause my original issue?

The more recent occurence, it occurred on a hot day here in Melbourne, so im starting to think this is a heat related issue.
I have been told that a number of S1000s have been brought in with a similiar issue I'm having.
Anyone else having the same issue?
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi Deano, I had this prob on the left hand S/W block, heat causes it, I had broken the warranty seals on the switches when installing some heli bars (didn't really understand how they came off, weird mounting sys).

So I pulled them apart, the switches are Ok, the wiring is printed on the plastic with a gold ink. The problem I found is were the gold traces join to the pins in the loom connector block. I think that when it heats up enough ( most likely radiant from the engine) the junction/join between the metal pins and the gold trace breaks. When it cools down all is good. This is all covered by an epoxy weatherproof coating which doesn't stick very well, so you get it off with a hobby knife reasonably easy. Solder wicks along the gold traces well and 5 min epoxy will weatherproof it.

I ended up soldering every trace, it takes a while to do and you need to be careful, but if your warranty's ended and you want a proper fix this works. My right hnd block hasn't broken yet but if it does I'll do a diy with photos. )
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode