rear sets, which ones? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

LIGHTTECH or GILLES are the only ones i'd recomend....
2011 motor sport s1krr,puig dark screen,watson flush turn signals,hp levers,hp rearsets,pcv,k&n race filter with custom map,austin racing gp2 inconel and titanium exhaust system,sharkskinz belly pan and stock panels custom painted,r&g crash protection,gb racing engine covers,factory pro detent spring,symmetrical smoked headlight covers,pro suspension set up and one crazy rider..!!!!
BUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Satoracing have them on both of my bikes

JETMECHANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Noob question, sorry.

Why do I need rear sets... Whats the benefit. I've only done 2 track days.

so far. How can they help me on the track or street.

Thanks
Kajzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Kazjer,

Some people leave their stock rearsets on forever and never change out to aftermarket. Some riders go aftermarket just because they think it looks cooler on their bike over the stock ones.

If you want to switch over to a GP (racing) shift pattern where you push down on the lever to go from 1st - 6th, then you need aftermarket rearsets. Aftermarkets also have more adjustability than the stock ones and some have a more aggressive pattern so that you feet don't slide around as much when you are leaning into the corners.

Rob
RobCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCO View Post
Kazjer,

Some people leave their stock rearsets on forever and never change out to aftermarket. Some riders go aftermarket just because they think it looks cooler on their bike over the stock ones.

If you want to switch over to a GP (racing) shift pattern where you push down on the lever to go from 1st - 6th, then you need aftermarket rearsets. Aftermarkets also have more adjustability than the stock ones and some have a more aggressive pattern so that you feet don't slide around as much when you are leaning into the corners.

Rob
+1 on the adjust-ability and grip
depending on bike and rider ability you could start dragging toe while leaned over during (hopefully) a trackday or race. By adjusting the rearsets up you can avoid the OMG moment and not worry about lifting your foot for corners.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have Attack Performance. GP shift and I have mine set all the way to the top and forward so that my knees are as high up and into the tank as possible. Also it makes it easier to set my heels into the pegs on hard braking. Mine are set to the lowest hole which is the longest throw in the shifter and yes I have my quick shifter working perfectly. Makes for the smoothest shift.

Attack are the easiest to adjust and changing from standard to GP involves moving one bolt.

My second choice would be the LighTech's.

Hope this helps.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.

Last edited by Bullet; 11-14-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I have short legs. It helps to put my knees higher and correctly on the tank.

Mad Yellow Bumble Bee
yangins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETMECHANIC View Post
Satoracing have them on both of my bikes
I bought the Sato Racing sets for my bike, and I've got them setup in GP shift. The fit and finish is perfect, as I'd expect being as they are the most expensive and priced higher than the others.

I'll be honest, I bought them almost solely because of their price, because I am very picky about how the bike shifts and wanted the shift action to be perfect. It's not, and I'm fairly disappointed so far. Maybe it's something I've failed to adjust, I don't know. Normal clutched shifting is perfect, it's the QS that doesn't feel right anymore. It takes a long push down in order to actuate the QS, much longer than I felt it was before the rearsets, and stiffer too. If there is a way to adjust the QS I'd love to hear it.

I have my rear sets adjusted to the shortest shift throws possible, one position shorter than yours in fact (I'm using the top hole for the BMW shift rod, and the left hole for the Sato rod to the foot rest).

Like I said, normal shifting is perfect for me, it's the QS that just feels like it takes much more effort than it did with the factory rearsets. If the QS itself can be adjusted at all, I'd love to hear how.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

I got the Sato Racing rear sets and last weekend I put them on, only to find the gear shift lever rubs against the inner side of the hole in the frame when everything is bolted in place. Anybody else had this problem?

The assembly manual does mention about using the spacer washers when the position is in the upper rear, but I was not in that setting.
Did everyone here use the spacers on the shifter side regardless of the position setup?
Didn't have time to try too much adjusting at the time..

Thanks!

Last edited by Piper; 11-14-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

I didn't have to use any of the spacers on mine, everything clears well.
Advertisement