quarter mile build aka "Jack the Ripper" - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Tech and Performance Chat

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default quarter mile build aka "Jack the Ripper"

first off i would like to say that i hope i put this thread in the right section. there will be potentially a large amount of information in here and its kinda hard to tell where it will go or what it will turn into in a few months from now. if a moderator feels that it would be best moved then i am ok with that.

i would like to start off by saying that i am a gear head, motor sport enthusiast, and i respect all forms of motor racing. no matter the particulars. i can just as easily watch ama or motogp as i can pro stock bikes and top fuel funny cars run the quarter mile.

i know that there are people that own bikes for the awesome handling that they are built with. they wouldnt dream of ruining what it took several very intelligent people years to get just right. others, like my self and a few people on this forum, live to run the quarter mile. out here in south east texas there are tons of flat straight roads. i grew up racing anything i had down the quarter mile. my first front wheel drive 2 door car, my first bike, my corvette, and now my bmw is getting the same treatment.

i know that the road racing guys cant understand why some one would put an extended swingarm on a perfectly good bmw, lower it and build it to do the opposite of what is was made.

in response to those guys i would like to say that i have a great respect for what you guys can make a bike do. i honestly understand the physics, but you have got to have a set on you to do that at those speeds. i personally will never have the desire to to so on a bike. BUT i do have respect for the people willing to do something amazing.

bottom line is that i have had people who arent into drag racing give me a tough time about the hobby i LOVE to do. all i want is a chance to share my thoughts and experiences and a little information. i love to learn and i hope some others here do as well. at the end of it all i will respect your opinions if you respect mine. im not asking that everyone agree with what im doing. just try to be understanding.

i am up for dicussing anything that is brought up, as long as it is repectfully done.

once i bought my 2011 bmw i went to buying parts right away. and rather than going crazy and buying every single thing i could get my hands on, i decided for the sake of science() that i will do it in stages so all can see the progression of a stock to fully modded quarter mile beast.

the bike i have is 100% stock. down to the tires. the plan is as follows:

stg1
traction mods only:
lowering the bike front and rear
brocks front end strap kit
brocks clutch mod
10in macintosh swing arm
longer chain

stg2 will be adding power. i want to see what this bike will do bone stock.

this is all i have to get put on the bike at this time. the arm will be ariving at my door sometime later this week. hopefully i can get it all on in the following week. i will have to wait and double check the actual date of drop off and ill make an appointment with Third Coast Speed in Lake Charles, La. mike has done a ton of work for me in the past and i have nothing but good things to say about him and the work he does.

the bike will stay with stock pitch and tooth count on both sprockets. i do not have abs/trac/qs on my bike. it didnt come with it so i will eventually get a fuel controller and quick shifter. but that will be in the 2nd stage when i start to add power mods.

but untill then i will try to make it to the track as much as possible to update my times and how well things are progressing. i have well over 100 passes on my old bike. not quite the same as the bmw but i know a good deal and i feel confident that i can progess well.

just for the sake of conversation i did go and run the bike stock all the way down to the tire pressure. it was a one wheel fest and i only got 4 passes in that night. i went 10.9 at 140mph. the bike was in race mode as i didnt know what to expect with this bike making so much more power than my last ride.

all the runs from here on out will be in slick mode with around 20-25psi in the tires. i will start from there and go down as my launching gets stronger and traction starts to be less.

when this tire is close to bald i will be going with either a shinko hook up or a power one 2ct. not sure yet. but i have a couple weeks before i have to make a decison.

i would love to hear any opinons or if any one has any tips for me. i will try and make this as full of info as i can. hoping that some will learn a thing or two and maybe get some help from this thread as well.

i will try and get some gopro footage as well. but, time will tell.
TheAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I race my bike on the 1/4 mile also. Been once, and on my 5th and final pass of the night I ran a 10.56 @ 141.89. With only a 1.91 60ft. Bike is stock with all options and I weigh in at 210 lbs. and hadn't raced in 6 years. I took it again last weekend but my battery went bad and the bike kept shutting off somewhere down track. New dry cell installed. Should run better now. I also just installed a Dan moto cat delete pipe with hard bodies go pipe. Ready to see how it runs now. Like you, I'm doing it in stages and getting the results of each stage so fellow riders know what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Cory's1000rr2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats great. i tried and tried but i couldnt keep the front end down. i see we trapped the same mph but your time was quicker. prolly due to the weight difference. im 170 with out gear. so im still sort of a light weight lol
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
thats great. i tried and tried but i couldnt keep the front end down. i see we trapped the same mph but your time was quicker. prolly due to the weight difference. im 170 with out gear. so im still sort of a light weight lol
I'm 154 without gear but Russian i believe is 132without gear and i know a friend of mine who is 106 without gear

I nearly have the same setup as you:
lowered the bike front and rear by around 1.25
brocks front end strap kit
will be adding the cluch mod hopefully by next week and see what is the best i can do with SWB, my last year record was 9.6 @ 154.5 MPH with a 1.8 60ft
but i also have BST wheels+ ceramic bearings +Austin Racing exhaust ARCS+Bazzaz
Then i'll install the extension and will add around 4 inches and probably lower the bike little

I just receieved my Conti Sport Attack2 tire, it feels like a glue not a tire!! Rickey Gadson used it on his drag ZX14R & he recommended it to me over the Power one!! have a look at it
Continental Conti Sport Attack 2 Rear Tire - Chaparral Motorsports
2010 S1000RR- Ported head by Bsinclair-Austin Racing GP3 full Exhaust - Brentuning flash device - MWR HE Air Filter - BST wheels - Ceramic wheel bearings , 5" stretch, lowered, Brock's Performance clutch mod & heavy spring kit & front strap kit, APE Clutch, -1 front
8.78 sec on 91 pump gas & Conti SportAttack2 tire
YouTube: BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN
1000RR Bahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah. I've seen a few of your videos on YouTube. I can wait to add power to this bike. It was running like it was on fire. Once I could go wot in 3rd it was one helluva ride. I'm officially addicted again. Can't wait to go back.

And the fact that Russian is 130 is borderline cheating lol
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hookup 190 all the way bro. Best bang for ur buck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
SS1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS1000RR View Post
Hookup 190 all the way bro. Best bang for ur buck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Any idea on milage for a hook up? I've ran the power one and it does well for double duty. Idk so much about the hook up. I do know it is the most sticky tire offered by shinko.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

Actually I'm 124 minus gear lol.
Good stuff Ryan, there's quite a few drag racers on here and most are mature enough to appreciate all kinds of racing too. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Hit me up when you're ready for a turbo
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lol. That crazy you are that light. I can't imagine the acceration difference with 265hp, a turbo, and only 124lbs of body mass. I'm still reeling from being able to give third gear everything in race mode. Maybe by march I'll have calmed down enough to step into the big boy leagues with you. I think a modest 230 will do me just fine... For a while lol

Pm or text me a price for the kit with upgraded injectors. Never too early to have something to do over the winter months

Last edited by TheAlchemist; 10-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's been a while since I last posted on this forum and I do apologize BUT I'm extremely excited to see more S1000RR riders attempting their hand in Drag Racing. Keep riding hard!!
Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement