BMW S1000RR Forum banner

HP Race ECU - Riding mode

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Damwind 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just installed the HP Race ECU on my HP4 (was activated by Alpha Racing Germany)...The bike is still all open (no fairings etc...) but I mounted all the important parts to at least test that it was working. Everything looks fine, I have access to DTC settings even in Rain mode...but...I cannot change the riding mode anymore. When I press the Mode button, I do see the list with the arrow, from Rain to Slick, I can move the arrow up and down as usual...but then normally, simply leaving the arrow on one of the mode was sufficient to select it. Now it does nothing. I am in Rain mode, I move the arrow to Sport, Race or Slick, leave it there...and nothing happens. After a while, the list disappears and I am still in Rain mode. Is the procedure to switch mode different with the HP Race ECU ?

Thanks !

#3 ·
Yep...I tried pulling the clutch then switch mode, then wait...nothing. Tried all kind of combinations with the clutch...nothing work.

I tried with just the key on, then I tried with the engine ON. Now the bike has not been riding at all, so i was wondering if the Race ECU needs you to do a couple of miles to activate/calibrate whatever before one can switch modes...

There is no apparent fundamental problem, as my total miles are not flashing, so no inconsistency between ECU and Dash, I can play with the DTC settings (even in Rain mode)...but cannot change mode. Tried to remove and put back the slick plug...did not help.

THere was no problem whatsoever with my OEM ECU a week ago...so being stuck in Rain mode all started with the HP Race ECU...

Any help is welcome ! (of course, I will write to Alpha Racing to ask...)

#4 ·
I am just curious... did it not come with some kind of PDF or other instructions on the operation and function features?

I know my HP DataLogger sure did not seem to come with any hardware instructions and I have tried to email to HPDataLogger support and to this day no answer to those 2 emails.

The Race ECU is just an unlock USB key? Or did you have to change the ECU completely out?

I have been wanting to do the RCK3 for the 2015, but I have already been to the dealer for warranty work 3 times in just 2700 miles. I am scared the engine or trans is going to dump if I put the RCK3 program in the ECU and then no warranty.

So I am also curious if anyone reading this has RCK3 for the 2015 will you please PM me so I can ask some questions on this hardware.

#5 ·
Nope...did not get anything...and so far, I haven't found anybody saying that you need to do something special to get it running.

I sent to Alpha Racing my old ECU, dash and key for the whole activation...everything came back...and it does not work. It may be that a special step is required...but they did not tell me, and I did not read it anywhere yet... Start wondering if I should not have stayed with my properly working OEM ECU... :frown2:

#6 ·
wow... lots of reading material here

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/1.../36834-hp-race-ecu-race-calibration-kits.html

one thing I see that stands out is this quote

Changing parameters of the engine management system (injection and ignition timing) on a motorcycle with the standard control unit has different results in the 4 riding modes RAIN, SPORT, RACE and SLICK, whereas in the case of a control unit with the racing data set (HP Race Power Kit) the effect is the same in all 4 modes.
This is on account of the different point of departure: With the racing data set engine management is the same for all 4 modes (full engine power is always available). With the standard data set engine power depends on the mode selected.
Just looks to me like it is the same power and performance in all 4 modes. no need to change.

#7 ·
No, in fact, the mode is still important, I believe. Because basically, yes, you get full power in all four modes. But changing the modes still change the ABS parameters, DTC parameters etc... So you should still take advantage of all the modes, even with the HP Race ECU.

#9 ·
So here is the whole story...

Alpha Racing forgot to put in the box they sent me with my new ECU +dashboard+ keys the instruction sheet. And apparently, the first time you install the ECU on the bike, the very first thing you must do is teaching the ECU the throttle position and quickshift function (open throttle, switch ON ignition for 3 seconds, switch OFF ignition etc...). As I did not know, not having that instruction sheet, I did not do it...and so the values are probably completely wrong, making it that the bike stays stuck in RAIN. They told me I have to go to the BMW dealer (or us a GS-911 diagnostic tool) to erase these values, then redo the whole procedure, and it should then all be fine (I hope !).

#10 ·
Problem solved.

This was actually super simple. Erase adaptation values with GS-911, redo the procedure for Throttle and Gear adaptation...and everyting works well now, all modes are available, DTC can be modified even in RAin mode (I guess that's the beauty of the race Dataset)...all good !

Anyway, good to know if other people have this problem. Alpha Germany was very helpful, and apologized for forgetting to send the procedure.

Happy camper, can't wait to go on the track with the machine !

#11 ·
Glad to hear that you were able to get it all sorted...

A couple of things I was curious about and didn't see was what kind of exhaust you have and why you didn't have the activation performed by a BMW dealer local to you.

#13 ·
RCK2 is quite more expensive than the GS-911...allows much more of course, but I have the feeling htat one must know what he is doing with it...the possibility to change everythign with the RCK2 is nice...but can also be dangerous, especially for the bike, without enough knowledge of these parameters and how they work together...at least that's what I think, maybe wrongly.

I have the OEM titanium exhaust from the HP4, but I replaced teh mid-pipe by the cat free midpipe....

And why not my local BMW dealer ? Cause he is good at selling brand new bikes, especially cruising machines...and just know absolutely nothing about racing, track bikes etc...(or is not willing to bother). He did not even know about the HP Race ECU before I told him...so...I figured Alpha Racing GErmany is dedicated to track BMW bikes. And plenty of people around here dealt directly with them for the ECU thing...they made a mistake not sending the calibration procedure. for sure. But if they had not forgotten that, it would actually have gone very smoothly.

#14 ·
RCK2 is quite more expensive than the GS-911...allows much more of course, but I have the feeling htat one must know what he is doing with it...the possibility to change everythign with the RCK2 is nice...but can also be dangerous, especially for the bike, without enough knowledge of these parameters and how they work together...at least that's what I think, maybe wrongly.
Well, honestly not much sense to have a RaceECU and you can't adjust the DTC or assign the different types of ABS and DDC to each mode. The RCK2 helps you to feel how DTC for instance is working and when it intervenes. The alpha map fits 95% probably but there is even more to it especially regarding your used fuel so a tuner also needs the RCK2. If you are changing tyre sizes/brands you would need to adjust the circumference as well or to play with the lean angle above the DTC is switched off.....lots of things to do safely but that's just my opinion :nerd:

You can remove PAIR stuff from the airbox/cylinder head and the O2 sensors since it's not needed anymore too.

#15 ·
Agreed...and I will end up going down the RCK2 route...but a bit later.

In fact, I don't have the Alpha Map in there. It is the BMW Race dataset, not the Alpha Map. They only did activate the ECU, as a BMW dealer would do. They can provide more specialized maps that are theirs, but only if you also purchase the RCK2.

In fact, from the OEM ECU, changes in the DTC, DDC, ABS etc... is already quite modified and improve a lot the behavior of the bike on the track. Of course, it can be made better with the RCK2 but the Race ECU is already a step forward. A friend racing BMW at much higher level than mine in fact started just with the Race ECU before moving to the RCK2, and he told me that the general behavior of the bike was really improved, even without the RCK2...The race ECU is apparently not any better for AFR than standard PCV or RapidBike (even maybe a bit less good as it does not alter the AFR on the fly), but how fast one goes through the turn is more related to the DTC, suspensions etc...than power per se... Also he told me that before reaching a pretty damn high level, I would see no difference between a Race ECU and a Race ECU where the wheel dimensions has been adapted, even riding with slicks that are not the ones with which the whole DTC is calibrated. Anyway, this is not from me but from better riders with more experience. I cannot say for myself, I cannot say they are 100% right either...And I have not tried the bike yet. Hopefully I will have the same impression !

Thanks for all the comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.