BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2010 ECU flash by OE Tuning review

8K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  bmwpower 
#1 ·
The mods that I have on my bike right now are a danmoto cat delete pipe, MGP slip on exhaust, k&N air filter and I run 93 octane on the streets. There wasn't hardly anybody that had posted any experience on oe tuning so I figured id give them a try and see how good the handheld flash would be since it was only $650. After having a pretty good conversation with a gentleman by the name of bj who was super polite and responded to my emails extremely promptly, I bought myself the android handheld device. Now according to oe tuning they and brentuning used to work together and oe was actually supplying them with the tune, they had some mishaps blah blah blah and decided it was in best interest to split partnerships. I was glad to here this since brentuning was getting some pretty good reviews and with this handheld being cheaper I hoping for something close to theirs. Bj sent out my android flasher with 2 day shipping (which was no extra fee and i was super excited about) and I was able to very very easily plug the ten prong adapter into my bike and then used the other end to plug into my android device( I actually "jailbroke" my kindle fire and put android software on it lol) Took about 20 mins for it to copy the original ecu, after it was done i received an email saying that my tunes would be available shortly after Jeremy was done making adjustments. 30mins later I had two new tunes, 93 octane, and 100 octane that I could upload to the bike. I have only ran the 93 octane as that is what i run in the bike normally and for track days ill run 100 but its a little chilly for that now lol. Either way first things I noticed right off the bat when I took the bike for the test run, without even wot in 4th gear it would stand straight up on the back wheel at 6k rpms, bike was a lot smoother power overall and gave 5th and 6th gear extreme power and there wasn't anymore of slow pull in the gears as before. I did my first dyno run and for some reason the guys dyno would not pull when my bike was in 5th gear but i still got a 4th gear pull at 177hp and was able to send oe my results and within 15 mins jeremy had adjusted my afr (air to fuel ratio) and i had a new 93 tune waiting to be installed. Now I ran the bike all weekend and decided to go to a different dynojet just tonight, the first run he pulled me at 182hp in 5th. We did another run but this time with air being pushed into the ram air intake and it gave me 191hp!!!! I know I should've done a before run to see the exact hp that i gained just from the tune but aye 190hp is insane!!! I have seen my year and model on other dyno's pull anything from 170-180 stock hp. The dyno guy (who has been running dyne's for years) said that the afr was absolutely perfect and theres nth he could even think about doing that would make the tune any better. The bike overall feels like a major improvement throughout all the gears and with the lighter weight from a full exhaust I'm leaving people pretty far behind. My overall rating for OE tuning is 10 out of 10, phenomenal customer service, a well priced tune, and a tune that makes your bike feel awesome!!! Im sure there are more things i have forgotten to mention but if you guys have any questions ill be glad to take pictures or answer whatever you guys have, hopefully this will help some people if they are trying to decide in tunes.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
If I'm not wrong they do mess with the DDC and definitely due the throttle retardation and pretty much everything the bren does except for the launch control and a couple of other things. But honestly I could care less for the launch control it would be cool for like a day or to then id probably never use it lol!! but they did say that if they ever tweaked their tune to be better that you would get the update for free so thats a +

#7 ·
i've never heard anything about rapid bike, just make sure you dyno the bike before you do mods or flash cause i really would love to know what mine pulled before lol but as the kindle people call it i "rooted" (same as jailbreak) the kindle but you can find videos on youtube all day long if you like messing with computers or go to N2Aos Android KitKat Operating Systems for the Kindle Fire and pay $30 and they will send you a file and you can do it in like 20mins of watching it download software. Much easier way if you ask me, I just needed to use mine because the wife bought it for me 2 years ago and I haven't touched it but twice so i figured aye might as well use it for something lol

#9 ·
Thank you for the detailed review, it sounds like money well spent. I'm very close to making this purchase, but am on the fence based on recent information made avalible on the board.

Can OE address how this flash would apply to a 2014 model with the latest BMW software that has been described as "untunable". Can similar result as indicated above by Josh be expected?

#13 ·
Josh,

Why not dyno on the same dyno that you dynoed on before the tune to validate gains?

You gave a great review of the product but comparing different dynos on different days is pretty much useless data for comparisons.

Any details about what all was changed in tune besides air fuel tuning?

Throttle derestrictions, timing advance, increased rev limiter etc etc?

Sub'd for updates.

#14 ·
I agree comparing two differnet dyno's on different days will give you different results and the data isnt reliable, but i never did a dyno on my bike before i started making changes to it, i said that in the review but i can make a run without the tune and with the tune on the same day to show results but its not going to be a stock run with the full exauhst installed. Oe has an entire list of what there tune does its exactly what you can see on brens website minus the launch control and a few other things, i know they get rid of the retard thats in 1st 2nd and 3rd, they also smooth the power out over all so that its wot, etc etc i can find where they have everything listed and post it up for you guys

#19 ·
If im not wrong i think if you want it on both bikes you would have to have a seperate device for both because it registers your bikes ecu, but I would ask oe for a 100% sure. It does have a diagnostics option withthe software that you download if you use the android base handlheld and i know the other option is a handheld device and it has a diagnostics on it also so you should be able to clear lights but if its an actual issue with the bike the lights/codes will just keep popping up like it would on a car. The devices arent meant to fix issues but can help you figure out what the issue code is.

#20 · (Edited)
Just change from Brentuning to OE Tuning. Got my new V2 maps. OE Tuning is the original developer for the S1000RR tunes. They use to supplie bren.

OE said I will see a big difference between V1 and V2 maps. Right now I can't compare Bren V1 vs OE V2 it already winter in my area. In a couple of months I will reviews OE maps.

Upgrade price is much much cheaper for the new V2 maps with OE, you don't need to change handheld if you already have a MyGenius device and you don't need to pay 500$ to upgrade to the new android device with Bren. OE sell both MyGenius and android devices for only 200$ plus maps. OE customer service and tech support is incredible.

Jeremy who send my new map and help me reset my handheld did not waste any time emailing me back all info I needed. Jeremy is also the tech for OE motorcycle tunes.

OE Tuning will be offering launch control for the S1000RR soon.

#24 ·
I can see your post from the other day, unless you did another one lol. But i would be super interested on your comparison on the two that would make a sweet review, i know alot of people were getting headaches going from the v1 to the v2 product while having to pay more money for a slight upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.