Ohlins forks pinch bolt torque values? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ohlins forks pinch bolt torque values?

Just installed my Ohlins forks (thank you, Hard Racing) this afternoon.
I do not have the proper torque spec for the axle pinch bolts as it is not listed in the Ohlins manual or on the Hard Racing installation thread. I currently have them at 30NM with blue Loctite. They are a smaller bolt diameter than the OEM pinch bolts, so the OEM spec for the Sachs is not correct in this case. It's also interesting that the Ohlins manual only called for 10NM on the lower clamps and 20 on the upper bolt .
Toynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

The Sachs front axle pinch bolts on the right side of the front axle are listed as 8mm and require a torque of 19Nm according to the S1000RR repair manual. That is interesting that Ohlins called for a different torque spec than BMW on the upper and lower triple clamps.....? The manual lists them as 8mm also, with a torque value of 19Nm for upper and lower.
Used2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I noticed that as well. The question is do you go with the fork manufacturers recommendation or the OEM. I can understand that the OEM specs might be fine for the lower triple clamps as I cannot see the main fork tubes being any weaker than the OEM forks and being warped in the process.
The Ohlins pinch bolts are 6mm rather than 8mm, however. Hard Racing omitted those particular specs in their write up, unfortunately. I will try to contact them and see if they can update their posting with the info.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I can't imagine that Ohlins would build their forks so that they wouldn't take the 19Nm clamping force that the stock tubes do. I would think they use a high quality bolt for the axle clamping, but going from the stock 8mm bolt to their 6mm bolt and upping the torque to 30Nm from 19Nm might be taking a chance. I'll be installing their 30mm cartridge kit this winter and if you're ever at Grattan next season we'll have to compare the feel of the two different approaches.
Used2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have no problem backing down the torque on the pinch bolts....just want to get the correct value whether I use the factory spec or a spec from Ohlins that they omitted in their manual. The discrepancy in the lower triple is disturbing. My 3/8 " electronic wrench would not even allow me to set a limit value below 13.5 NM, even though it registered on the digital display scale as I was approaching 10NM (less than 7-1/2 foot pounds). Doesn't seem like 10NM is enough for an 8mm diameter bolt unless its fastened into a piece of plywood.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

You better be careful on the axle pinch bolts on the Ohlins. The casting is very thin and lots of folks and mechanics have broken the fork lowers by cranking on those pinch bolts.
Diablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
You better be careful on the axle pinch bolts on the Ohlins. The casting is very thin and lots of folks and mechanics have broken the fork lowers by cranking on those pinch bolts.
I concur with your observation and warning....waiting to hear from Hard Racing on this.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

The torque value for the axle pinch bolts on the Ohlins forks is 12 Nm (8.7 ftlb). This is for the 6mm left side fork pinch bolt.

Are your pinch bolts 6mm?
Diablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes they are. I find it hard to believe that I would need to torque them to such a light setting, but, if that is a correct torque value, so be it. I will still use Loctite (blue) on them, as they are threaded upside down.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

IIRC, the pinch bolts on my Aprilia (Ohlins) are set to 8.5 ft lbs. 6mm bolts. They are easy to break, I would use safety wire over lock tite.
burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement