If anyone is interested in suspension help - Page 14 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #131 (permalink)

Garage

Awesome help I found this the other day as well.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup - motor-racing.co.uk
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #132 (permalink)

That is a pretty good read on suspension setup. Thanks.
'02 RC51 Sato exhaust and rearsets, PCIIIr w/Kyle map, Pazzo racing levers, HRC quick turn throttle, PAIR blockoff, Steel braided lines, Race-Tech suspension, Double Bubble screen, Hotbodies under tail, Custom hugger, flush mount turn signals.

'11 BMW S1k Kyle exhaust, PCV w/Kyle map and Auto-tuner, Ohlins 30mm cartridge kit-TTX MKII shock, Sato rearsets, PAIR blockoff, Frame and Axle sliders, Puig screen, Pazzo levers, Yosh case covers-tidy tail, Accossato quick turn throttle, Watsen LEDs.
RC51Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #133 (permalink)
Super Moderator

it seems that the pic hosting site i used for the this thread is down Iíll take some more pics tonight and redo them
AMRRA Open SS Expert #2
WMRRA #112
Sponsors:
Lithia Motors
Snap-on tools
SMX Optics
Ride Engineering
Suomy Helmets
Leatt neck braces
AMRRA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #134 (permalink)

Any suggestions on how to set sag if I'm by myself? Max trustworthy friends i can get is one.
kuroshio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #135 (permalink)

It can be a pain but if you tape the end of the tape measure to the swing arm and hold the rest in your hand you can set sag.

Sent from my HTC Rezound
'02 RC51 Sato exhaust and rearsets, PCIIIr w/Kyle map, Pazzo racing levers, HRC quick turn throttle, PAIR blockoff, Steel braided lines, Race-Tech suspension, Double Bubble screen, Hotbodies under tail, Custom hugger, flush mount turn signals.

'11 BMW S1k Kyle exhaust, PCV w/Kyle map and Auto-tuner, Ohlins 30mm cartridge kit-TTX MKII shock, Sato rearsets, PAIR blockoff, Frame and Axle sliders, Puig screen, Pazzo levers, Yosh case covers-tidy tail, Accossato quick turn throttle, Watsen LEDs.
RC51Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #136 (permalink)

I just bought a 2008 GSXR 1000 with a full race tech suspension from a expert class track rider. He had the suspension set up 260 pounds. I am 215 without gear and I made my SAG measurements without GEAR on.

Here is what I mearsured:

Front 15mm free SAG and additional 20mm with rider
Rear 8 mm free SAG and additional 28mm with rider

Do I need to make any adjustments to the suspension or should I try riding it and see how it feels

Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. BST Wheels, Shorai Battery, Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #137 (permalink)

Garage

i can see the previous owner like the setting at "softer" side...

i'm the same...

suggest go out and ride, and see if you like that setting. e.g. bouncing back too quickly or just in general if the setting upsets the chassis...

MWGP #929

-------------
Live2Ryde
2011 S1000RR
2013 R1200GSW - sigh...
2009 K1300S SOLD!
S&Kmotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #138 (permalink)

I rode it today and I felt pretty good however the roads were damp and it is a track bike so It isnt licensed for the road so i only rode about 20 miles on some back roads. I hammered it pretty good but couldnt lay over very far because the roads werent completely dry.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to leave the SAG alone for now and reset the rebound and compression settings to factory specs and see how that feels.

Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. BST Wheels, Shorai Battery, Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #139 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

That rear seems a little soft... You should ALWAYS set your sag w/all your gear on. Doesn't make sense to set it w/out it on. Similarly a few gallons of fuel can make a few mm of difference in the front.

Get your sag right prior to hitting the track. Sounds like you need a bit more preload in the rear and likely at least a little more in the front. Without a solid starting point (sag set) getting on the track with an improperly setup suspension doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So set the sag with your gear on and put some more preload in... see if you can get the numbers close to the normal range... then go out and see how it feels on the track (the street will NOT provide proper feedback). Record EVERYTHING!!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #140 (permalink)

So what is the perfect amount of free sag and additional sag with rider for the front and rear. This is for the track only. It seems like where ever I look they all have a different numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement