BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Estimated Tire life?

8K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  flyryder 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new to S1k land so does anyone have an estimate of how many miles your expected to see out of a set of tires? I know mileage may vary. Min, Maxes would help a bunch thanks.

#2 ·
Countless threads on the subject.

And it all depends on the tire used. Touring tire expect 8k miles, track tire I get 1800k sometimes.

Reactions: Colers
#5 ·
Each to their own on " The Twist of the Wrist "

Each to their own on "tires tires tires "

SuperCorsa SP front 1800 miles.. Rear 1100 miles ( my first two sets of tires used on my 15, and never again in 16 so far )
SuperCorsa Street / Track DOT SC1 Front 1100 miles SC1 Rear 900 miles
Michelin EVO Street / Track DOT Front 1200 miles Rear 600 miles

any slick on the rear of my bike last at best 75 miles and that was a SuperCorsa SC2
any slick on the front will get 100 miles out of the goody, then it is just making practice laps until I am tried of looking at it worn on the edges so bad.

your mileage will vary as indicated with a twist of the wrist.

#11 · (Edited)
No idea how many miles you may get out of a particular set of tires. Street tires - your riding style/level - road conditions - air pressure - suspension - all of this will determine tire wear.

Same goes for the track - race tires - again depends - really fast guys can smoke a set of tires in a few sessions - others have gotten many track days out of a set.

When I used to ride on the street - I would get anywhere from 3,000 - 4,000 miles out of a set of tires.

These days at the track I have gotten as little as two days out of my rears and as much as 4 days - fronts usually a little more.

Best thing to do no matter if you are a street rider or track rider - always have a set in your garage/trailer ready to go.

#13 · (Edited)
My experience, riding exclusively canyons: The first two sets of Pirelli Supercorsa's lasted approximately 3200 miles. I switched to Metzeler M7 RR's at about 6300 miles on the 2015 RR. I have 1500 miles on the Metzelers and they show virtually nil wear, no center-tread flattening, and perform beautifully in the twisties.

From the sound of your post, I'm guessing you're a street rider, so tire life will likely be similar to what I'm getting. The track guys who quote tire life are stating what tires will or will not do under extreme conditions, so "average" tire life is a concept that probably doesn't apply to them.

Short answer: It depends on your riding conditions, and the tire. :)

#14 ·
If I run a new set of super corsas on a 35 degree day on road with an abrasive surface for 500kms riding aggressively on the throttle and brakes carrying high lean angle and speeds those super corsas will be melted and shredded to already well below half of their life. Grip is good. Grip is fun. Grip is expensive.

#15 ·
The roads there must be more abrasive then they are here. Too, I'm not a fan of endurance racing. I'm referring to 400km circuit you seem to do laps on. A 150 mile ride of which at least 50% are twisties is a long ride for me. And that will include a stop for breakfast or lunch. :wink2: I swear you should have been born on the I.O.M. You would be happier than a dog with 2 Richards to lick. :wink2:

Edit: "Grip is good. Grip is fun. Grip is expensive." So true!

Reactions: bennymx
#18 ·
highway and street only - Bridgestone S20's and Q3's I got about 6k front, 3k rear

#19 ·
Get s21s. 2500miles including 3 track days. Two tracks I go to are right-oriented, so I don't have much tread left on right side. Center and left still have at least 500 more miles. But replacing the rear next week. I would say 3k miles is about average for an average pace on the street. It also depends on what tire pressure you run, acceleration, and braking style.

#20 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried Pirelli's Diablo Rosso III? I'm considering buying this tire over Pirelli's Diablo Rosso Corsa. The Rosso Corsa is an excellent tire but it has a short life-span. I commute approx. 70 miles a day and aggressively hit the twisties twice a month. The Rosso Corsa is my preferred choice but does not last long enough. I started out with the SuperCorsa but that only lasted approx. 1500-2000 miles, then I moved on to the Rosso Corsa which only lasted 3000 miles. $$ is an issue for me at the moment and I can't afford to keep changing out tires. I'm interested in the Rosso III's. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

#23 ·
Proper tire pressure is key. With 40psi rear and 34psi front, 2 down on max listed pressure for almost all tires, I got 5,600+ miles out of the rear OEM Supercorsa (oddly, me and one other here had to replace the front at 2,700 miles), and I have 5,200 miles on my M7's, with at least a couple hundred miles left. For reference, I'm about 235 geared up, and ride at an elevated pace. Again, proper tire pressure is key. Do NOT run track pressures on the street, it just destroys tires.

#24 ·
I got 3000-3500 out of two sets of SC's. I'm at 2200 miles on the Metzeler M7's, and the depth of tread looks like the Grand Canyon, with the wear indicators deep into the canyon. I know tire wear rates increase near the end of a tire's lifespan, but these tires are showing no indication whatever of nearing that point. Really fine tires, these...

I also run 40/34, and I weigh about 155 in gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.