Tires, Tires, Tires - Page 34 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #331 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
Are you really saying the Q2 is the best track tire...better than the power ones...and that it is the worst choice for a street tire?
Yes. Q2's are far better for the track as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
From your earlier posts, I would have thought you'd have the exact opposite opinion from what I read here.

I just put the Q2's on my S1K for the winter months, expecting that it'll have to see some track time next spring as well before I put DOT tires back on her. Just breaking these in so I don't have an opinion on them yet...
I like the Power Ones the best for the street. I'd say for the street K3s' and Q2s' are pretty much a tie on the street, one bearly nudging out the other.

Your milage and experience may vary,

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #332 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
Your milage and experience may vary.
I'm on the opposite side of this spectrum.

My riding style: mainly for commuting. I push a bit in the twisties, keep up with some, but never too aggressive. I'm really progressive on the throttle and brakes, tend to engine brake (plus light brake) and carry over speed throughout the corners. I learnt that braking actually wears the tires out the most, not accelerating.

I managed to get 8K+ miles on the original K3 rear (11K+ miles front)... and 13K+ miles on Pilot Powers 1 rear.

In my experience... the K3 will go flat and you can feel it. The Powers on the other hand, resisted it really well. I like the transitional feel on the Powers better and will maintain it pretty much until it shows the second layer (yup, way past replacement time).

The K3 feels more like what a track tire I guess... very grippy in the beginning and throughout the mid-life. But will show reduced traction and profile feel when worn out.

I've always liked how sticky the Metz feel... also comparing to the previous M1 (on my SV) and M3 (on my K1200R).

I had a great experience on the Roadsmart 1 (K1200R). It didn't feel as grippy as the M3, which later on I found it was more of the side wall feel (it was a harder tire with stiffer walls). Once I got used to it, I had no problem going faster on them. Note: it was the only set of tires I've used so far where I worn out the front before the rear.
iehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #333 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Default Be Smart. Roadsmart

I completely understand what you're saying Albert. When I ride a spirited pace, I don't use my brakes prior to any corner, if I do, that my signal to slow TFD.

Your take on K3's is the same as mine, they loose traction when there looks to over 25% tread left, the tires are pretty much toast, Pirelli tires act the same way.

K3 do get a flat spot pretty quick, but Q2's and Pilot Powers, not so much. I still like Power One's the best of any street tire. The Roadsmarts are a hell of a tire and I'd have no problem running them on a sport bike, escpcially in the Winter.

See you soon,

Triple
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #334 (permalink)

Anybody seeing any especially good deals on Q2's or S20's? I need to get new rubber.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #335 (permalink)

Default Tires, Tires, Tires

Take a look at the new pilot power3.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...r-3-rear-tires

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #336 (permalink)

Q2s are $250 shipped from Riders Discount.

For the $ they can't be beat.
the_gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #337 (permalink)

I just put new S20's on my scoot. $229 for the pair shipped from Chaparral.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #338 (permalink)

Im very interested in the new Pilot Power 3's, how do they compare to the bridgestone s20's?
EB233HWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #339 (permalink)

Garage
Default Tires, Tires, Tires

I am also interested in how the pp3 compares to k3 and q2

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Detlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #340 (permalink)

I'm sure the pp3 is a great tire, I'm just not a fan of the tread pattern. Looks like a sport touring tire to me. It's probably got those grooves for wet traction but I never ride in the rain and don't ever want to. Their new Super Sport tire looks good but is damn expensive. If I can ever find a good deal on a set of Conti Sport Attack 2's I wanna try em out. My current stock K3's are the best thing I've ever ridden but again.....expensive. My cheaper choices would be Q2's or S20's and if I had to, pp2ct....nothing but good reviews from all three of those.
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement