My '11 S1K beats me to death! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default My '11 S1K beats me to death!

My bike is killing me. I weigh 140 lbs and have had my suspension set up by a pro. It turns out the best settings are near the top of the ranges. My sag is correct. It is so stiff I feel unsafe on a rough road in a turn. It feels like the wheels are in the air as much as they are on a rough road.

What can I do to enjoy the bike?
Dogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you 140lbs with gear? From your settings try to reduce front rebound a little and see where that goes.
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

you need to respring your forks/shock.
these bikes are set up for 180+ lb riders. i have all my settings all the way soft and its still stiff as ****.
my friend had her s1k resprung and revalved for her (110lbs) and it made a night and day difference! bike handles like a dream now.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

What are your current rebound and compression setting for the forks and shock?

What tire pressures are you running?

I had my sag set and set the suspension to the BMW sticker suggested suspension settings that came with the bike (Yellow, Red and Black). I like the race and sport settings with my tires set to 32F and 30R. The bike just feels planted and responsive. Tried the comfort settings and the bike felt terrible. I got my bike back after getting its initial service done and the tech put the tires to 36F 42R and it felt like a chore to get the bike to tip in. Mind you I weigh 155lbs and with the preload about 2 turns out from full soft.

What is your front and rear sag?

Last edited by bahkhok; 12-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.
bahkhok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I guess you could get the right sag by backing off the preload a lot, but the stock springs could still be too stiff. What did the suspension guy say about the stock spring rates for your weight?
skapan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

My front is set a 9 and my rear at 2/2 for the correct race setting per the track suspension expert. He looked at the sag and said it was really close to the book setting, so that would point to the springs being near the correct rate, right?

I run 32 / 32 at the track and 34 / 34 on the street with Q2s.

The suspension guy mentioned that he has had ok luck with revalving S1ks, but I was a little skeptical as to how well it may work. He was really pushing to totally replace the stock setup, but I know that will really be expensive.

Maybe I just need to strap a lead weight to the bike.....
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianvr4 View Post
you need to respring your forks/shock.
these bikes are set up for 180+ lb riders. i have all my settings all the way soft and its still stiff as ****.
my friend had her s1k resprung and revalved for her (110lbs) and it made a night and day difference! bike handles like a dream now.
^Definitely this!
2006 Kawi ZX6R (my first love) sold
2010 Kawi BruteForce 750i sold
2011 BMW 328XI
2011 BMW S1K Yellow
-ZGravity corsa w/s, Yoshi sliders, RG mirror blk offs, GB case svrs, CRG lvrs, Andreani Group 30mm kit, XBK5 pads, Woodcraft spools, stompgrips, Attack rearsets, Ohlins damper, Renthal sprockets, DIDERV3 chain 520 Conv, Full race Akrapovic SS w carbon hanger, BrenTuned
jhockey18aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogged View Post
My front is set a 9 and my rear at 2/2 for the correct race setting per the track suspension expert. He looked at the sag and said it was really close to the book setting, so that would point to the springs being near the correct rate, right?

I run 32 / 32 at the track and 34 / 34 on the street with Q2s.

The suspension guy mentioned that he has had ok luck with revalving S1ks, but I was a little skeptical as to how well it may work. He was really pushing to totally replace the stock setup, but I know that will really be expensive.

Maybe I just need to strap a lead weight to the bike.....
I'd respring it and swap the linkage to the LCR version, the rear roughness is probably coming from linkage progression
dagor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

What is the LCR linkage? I've never heard of it. You are the first to ever mention linkage changes as a way of working this problem.

I called the pro today and re-ran my story past him. He had me reduce the compression on the front to 5.

He still suggests re-springing and re-valving the front at about $700. He said the best solution would be Ohlin cartridges at about $ 1600, but the best bang for the buck is the cheaper re-valving.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have you had anyone else try and setup your suspension? Not guru is gonna setup the bike the same. 9 in the front and 2 in the back seems loppsided. The front would be stiff while the rear is set really soft.
bahkhok is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement