Dymag Carbon fibre wheels - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Dymag Carbon fibre wheels

I used Dymag magnesium wheels for many years in the 1980s on various project and standard bikes and was pleasantly surprised when they started trading again.

I have ordered a set of their CA5 carbon fibre wheels for my S1000RR together with some Brembo HPK floating rotors and new ABS rings.

I intend to weigh these wheels assemblies before fitting and then weigh the OEM BMW wheels c/w discs, ABS rotors etc and post the data on this forum.

Has anybody else used CA5s on their S1000RR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Garage
Not used them, but have been looking at them.

Would love to read your findings, and what you think of them when fitted.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 AM

I found this "Dymag vs BST" thread while looking at them:

DYMAG vs BST CARBON RIMS : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I found this "Dymag vs BST" thread while looking at them:

DYMAG vs BST CARBON RIMS : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
I'm pretty sure Dymag wasn't making that model of wheel when Cycle Cat (a former importer) was still in business. I remember Dymag selling a really dated-looking three spoke carbon wheel back then.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony216 View Post
I'm pretty sure Dymag wasn't making that model of wheel when Cycle Cat (a former importer) was still in business. I remember Dymag selling a really dated-looking three spoke carbon wheel back then.
That makes sense. The current Dymag stuff that I'm seeing today looks pretty nice.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Dymag dated?

I dont see how you can call the dymag three spoke wheels dated, even back in the 1980s the looks of the three spoke Dymags gave more street cred than any others, remember that back then the alloy OEM wheels had only been common place on the UJM for a few years, had Campagnolos originally on my Ducati back then and they really were poor but looked nice.

If it were not for carbon fibre wheels I would buy three spoke aluminium or mahnesium Dymag wheels immediately
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john S1000RR View Post
I dont see how you can call the dymag three spoke wheels dated, even back in the 1980s the looks of the three spoke Dymags gave more street cred than any others, remember that back then the alloy OEM wheels had only been common place on the UJM for a few years, had Campagnolos originally on my Ducati back then and they really were poor but looked nice.

If it were not for carbon fibre wheels I would buy three spoke aluminium or mahnesium Dymag wheels immediately

Thats exactly why they are dated. Makes a bike look like a 1980's bike.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

1980s

And the eighties were the best, no traffic helicopters, no speed cameras and cops that would have a laugh and not just book you if you were going fast but riding well.

Jap bikes had just started to handle a bit better.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john S1000RR View Post
And the eighties were the best, no traffic helicopters, no speed cameras and cops that would have a laugh and not just book you if you were going fast but riding well.

Jap bikes had just started to handle a bit better.
I'll take now, dynamic damping, 193hp, launch control, traction control all for less that 30 grand. What would a bike like that cost in 1985?

I do hear the part with the cops laughing if you were going fast and riding well, I got pinched this summer for over 200k around a corner and got off with a heavy slap on the wrist.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

costly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I'll take now, dynamic damping, 193hp, launch control, traction control all for less that 30 grand. What would a bike like that cost in 1985?

I do hear the part with the cops laughing if you were going fast and riding well, I got pinched this summer for over 200k around a corner and got off with a heavy slap on the wrist.
Yep my monoshock Ducati 974 (from a 860 bevel engine) cost me 27 000 to build in 1985, hell of a bike but no comparison to my S1000RR.

Dymag wheels arrived yesterday so will be fitting the discs, having new tyres fitted then the weighing exercise before fitment to the bike this afternoon.

Only 2 degrees C here and the roads have been salted/gritted so theres no way I am scrubbing in new tyres on these roads tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode