Can a 190/50 work - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also, I forgot to mention, I ride mine in slick mode a lot (I know, not meant for the street) and have had no issues with performance or electronics in slick mode (power one tire by the way).

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
d40

A shop accidentally installed a 50 Pilot Power 2ct on my bike and I didn't like it...not only because it's not what I asked for, but it's not what BMW spec'd for the bike. I figure tire diameter and even brand are important to the bikes electronics because the ecu calibration kits allow you to adjust for those variables, plus the bike seemed to turn funny, not to mentioned the taller tire looks better on the bike...
d40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

D40 if you can elaborate on your issues a little I would greatly appreciate it.

Nik08 were you having issues in any other mode besides slick? We're you running the power ones on the street? If you were how was the grip, and miles did you get out of the tire?

Thanks, Zoom

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
ZoomMp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
d40

A motorcycle shop put a Pilot power 2CT up front and a regular Pilot Power 50 on the rear of my bike.

I had been riding the k3s for the last couple of years and the ones i had were in bad condition so of course I immediately noticed the bike was handling differently, but I wrote it off as just having new tires. It seemed that it wouldn't hold the same lines that it would before and the traction control flickered a couple of times where I thought there was no reason for it to do so.

I was wiping the bike down after a spirited ride and noticed the markings on the tires and it all made sense, but honestly, there were too many variables (brand, compound, size, pressure) to blame my issues on just the size of the rear tire alone. If you do a search, you'll see some guys don't have any issues, others have the traction control lights flash and such...what I do know is this-if tire size wasn't an important factor to the calculations that the ECU makes, then it wouldn't be an adjustable variable on the HP Race calibration kit. As such, I would rather stick to the recommended sizes, even though there still are differences in diameter/circumference between brands with the exact same ratios.

*another thought* Maybe the ECU/TC can ascertain the tire sizes during the calibration process it goes through when you first pull off

Last edited by d40; 11-23-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by d40 View Post
A motorcycle shop put a Pilot power 2CT up front and a regular Pilot Power 50 on the rear of my bike.
Worth noting, Regular Pilot Powers and Power 2CT's have different profiles, the 2CT's being slightly more v-shaped and the Regular being a bit more u-shaped.

Anyone that rides a lot or is in tune with their bike, would feel like something was bit off running them both together, even if the tires were the suggested sizes.

Hope this helps,

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-23-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Triple,

Thanks for the insight again. I think what I'm going to do is call the dealer see what they have to say. If they say the electronics should be cool ima try the tires out and see how they feel. If its a major issue then I will put them on my R1 and get a 55.

All thanks for helping a fellow s1krr enthusiast out. The help and insight is
much appreciated.

Thanks again, zoom

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomMp7 View Post
Nik08 were you having issues in any other mode besides slick? We're you running the power ones on the street? If you were how was the grip, and miles did you get out of the tire?

Thanks, Zoom
I did not have any issues in any mode on the streets. I've ridden every mode and ride slick often which I would assume would red flag any issues quickly because of the power and tuning for track and slicks. No issues in any modes-none with my power ones (50 rear). I bought power ones on Triples Advice and wont switch to any other tire because they are sticky as hell and have awesome grip! i do not ride in the rain because i ride like i stole the damn thing and i don't think these tires are ideal for the rain. I got caught in the rain once but I rode conservative and they did fine. I've got 3k miles on them and ride HARD. I think they're good for about another 1k miles or so. Hands down best performance oriented tire I've ridden for the streets. The tread is damn near slick lol .

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-23-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fixed Qoute box
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

When it comes to tires it's such a sticky subject lol no pun intended. I was thinking about the power ones. Any of you guys tried the Bridgestone battalax street tire, from what I read the reviews have been nothing but good.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
d40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
Worth noting, Regular Pilot Powers and Power 2CT's have different profiles, the 2CT's being slightly more v-shaped and the Regular being a bit more u-shaped.

Anyone that rides a lot or is in tune with their bike, would feel like something was bit off running them both together, even if the tires were the suggested sizes.

Hope this helps,

Triple
yea, I actually went with the 2CT based partly on your recommendation from that epic tire thread of yours (should be a sticky BTW). I've never tried the Regular PPs, but the sharp profile on the 2CT is definitely noticeable. It takes a second to get used to it instantly falling over when initiating a turn, and with very little effort I might add...

Last edited by d40; 11-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomMp7 View Post
When it comes to tires it's such a sticky subject lol no pun intended. I was thinking about the power ones. Any of you guys tried the Bridgestone battalax street tire, from what I read the reviews have been nothing but good.
You will not be disappointed with the Power Ones' as they are one of my, if not my favorite street tire. Haven't had a chance to try the S20's if that's what you're talking about.

Triple
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement