Set up help - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Set up help

Hi guys

I have a 2010 that i use for track days and am hoping for some help to iron out a handling issue i have.

It feels to me that while the bike seems to turn well enough it wants to run wide after corner apex which means i cant attack the corners as i used to on my zx6r.

My current set up is as follows:

Stock forks, 30mm free sag (bike under its own weight) with me on board its around 37mm.
Comp and rebound both set at 7.
Forks have 4 lines showing above the triple.
Preload has 5 lines showing.
Using a zip tie to measure travel i have found i use all but about 10mm of travel (ie the zip tie stops about 10mm above the caliper bracket)

Rear shock has been replaced with Ohlins TTX36 Mk1 at standard length, eccentric flipped to raise rear ride height.
Sag is 28-30mm with me on the bike.
Comp and rebound both set to 11 clicks out from fully in. (rebound was 13 but have gone in 2 clicks to try help problem)

I'm a moderately fast rider (fast group at trackdays but prob 8-10 secs per lap off our national level riders). My weight without gear is around 64kg/140 pounds.

I'd appreciate any feedback, ie is this just the difference between a 600 and a 1000? (this is my first litre bike)
Do i have a set up issue?
Is this a bike design thing (ie the reason there are different triple clamps and pivots etc available)
Or is it a rider problem (poor lines etc)

If you require further info please ask.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't ridden a 2010 but if you are down to the last 10mm of travel on the front forks it means that you have pretty much run out of travel. Standard forks have bump stops in them so they don't go the whole way down and break the suspension over hard bumps.
You mention that the bike is running wide on corner exit, so presumably when hard on the throttle? Also, is the front heavily loaded in the corners with the run wide issue?
Also you mention that you added rebound on the rear to try to fix the problem. Did it help much?

First thing I would do, as a test, is add 2 lines of preload on the front to try stop it from bottoming and see if that makes it feel better.
If you can't get it to stop bottoming with the springs you have then perhaps you have too light springs, or else too much weight over the front (due to having the rear eccentric flipped).

Not saying this will solve your issue, but may help to find the right direction to go in. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Piper; 11-15-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spellings..
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply Piper,

A direction to go in is exactly what im after, i've been doing trackdays for a few years but don't seem to have learned much...

I don't get a chance to get hard on the throttle due running wide - would only be part throttle.

I dont think the front would be that heavily loaded, looking at cornering pics from the last track day the forks seem to be around mid travel the majority of the time.

More rebound didnt make a lot of difference, i think it was a bit better but i honestly don't think i have a good 'feel' for what the bike is doing - i'd make a useless test rider

Here's a pic where you can see the zip tie/fork travel:

Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would try to harder the fork rebound. It's possible that your front raise too fast when getting out from corners and then you go wide. Try.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

For sure you're not bottoming the forks in that picture.
Most likely the zip-tie is getting pushed to the bottom just due to hard braking?

As the other poster mentioned, you could try upping the rebound on the front forks to see if it feels better.
Since you're at 7 now, I'd change it 2 clicks to 9 and give it another go.

When you're doing changes to try to make things better, focus on the one 'worst' corner or corners (rather thinking about the whole track) and try to be consistent through it when testing your changes.
i.e. for example next time you go out on track, go on track with the same setup as you rode with last time to first make sure everything still feels like you though it did last time you were out. After a few laps when everything is warmed up (including the rider), pull into the pits, make your change (just change one thing like the rebound setting from 7 -> 9) and go straight back out.
You should be able to tell the difference.

By the way are you sure you have the correct spring on the TTX for your weight (sag looks like it is ok btw). If the rear is too hard/soft it could be making a problem.
Also, did you have the same problem before changing to the TTX?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

So if i'm not bottoming the forks under hard braking then does that mean the preload on the front is ok as is?

The spring on the TTX should be right, was built up by our Ohlins guy here, i've set the sag etc as per his recommendations.
I never rode the bike on the track with the stock shock so can't compare.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
Hi guys

I have a 2010 that i use for track days and am hoping for some help to iron out a handling issue i have.

It feels to me that while the bike seems to turn well enough it wants to run wide after corner apex which means i cant attack the corners as i used to on my zx6r.

My current set up is as follows:

Stock forks, 30mm free sag (bike under its own weight) with me on board its around 37mm.
Comp and rebound both set at 7.
Forks have 4 lines showing above the triple.
Preload has 5 lines showing.
Using a zip tie to measure travel i have found i use all but about 10mm of travel (ie the zip tie stops about 10mm above the caliper bracket)

Rear shock has been replaced with Ohlins TTX36 Mk1 at standard length, eccentric flipped to raise rear ride height.
Sag is 28-30mm with me on the bike.
Comp and rebound both set to 11 clicks out from fully in. (rebound was 13 but have gone in 2 clicks to try help problem)

I'm a moderately fast rider (fast group at trackdays but prob 8-10 secs per lap off our national level riders). My weight without gear is around 64kg/140 pounds.

I'd appreciate any feedback, ie is this just the difference between a 600 and a 1000? (this is my first litre bike)
Do i have a set up issue?
Is this a bike design thing (ie the reason there are different triple clamps and pivots etc available)
Or is it a rider problem (poor lines etc)

If you require further info please ask.
My TRACK setup, and it works well for me. But I need stiffer front fork springs as mine bottom out. I am 6.2 foot and 225 pounds.

25 mm sag front. damping and rebound set at 10
16 mm sag back and damping 9 and rebound also 9.
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Slim

the forks on this bike are lacking. i am a moddest racer who doesnt consider himself fast, but i am told that is not the case. so take that as you will, but i cant get anough compression in the forks. they are cranked to the maximum and it is not sufficient. i am also a light dude, so i have no idea how the heavier guys are doing it. i might be getting my front fork rebuilt this year, only downfasll is then itll be absolute **** on the street haha
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

raise the rear of the bike 3 or 5 mm ( I bet the bike had great traction on the gas after apex) your squatting the rear too much
AMRRA Open SS Expert #2
WMRRA #112
Sponsors:
Lithia Motors
Snap-on tools
SMX Optics
Ride Engineering
Suomy Helmets
Leatt neck braces
AMRRA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement