Front end push - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Front end push

I've racked up an amazing 450 miles on my 2012 so far. When i got the bike, the first thing I did (before even riding it) was take it to a well known race shop here in Atlanta and get the suspension \ sag setup for my weight for track use.

I've been hauling around the mountains trying to break things in and it really feels like the front end wants to push out in tight corners. Tip in is great and keeping my line around long fast sweepers is no problem at all, but when I start pushing it, the front isn't 100% confidence inspiring. Really feels like I have to hold back more than normal until the corner starts to open up.

Is this normal? Any adjustments I can make to help resolve the issue? I'm going to try adjusting the tire pressure and see if that helps any.

Last edited by Reject; 11-10-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

I'm no expert on suspension but I set my front comp and rebound to both 8 and its really good. I have 2 lines showing on the red Pre-load nuts, I weigh 95kg with gear on. Maybe this can help? In any case i would go back to the place who set it up for you and see what they can do.
Dean s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
sbs

Front end push can sometimes be attributed to lack of support at the back... How heavy are you and what spring rate do you have on you rear shock? Try adding a turn of preload at the rear and see of it helps or hurts. If it doesn't feel different, add another turn of preload and try again.

It can also be because the front is too stiff.... If changing rear preload doesn't significantly help, remove preload from the front a turn at a time and see what effect it has.

Cheers.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

You dn't give much information on your current setup...

Anyway some comments on my opinion:
I found that my 2012 suspension, particularly the front, really got 'soft' compared to what it was initially like after a couple if hours of track time break in so you may need to go back and revisit the setup done by your tuner.

fyi, I weight 74kg w/o gear and the standard front springs seem marginal for me (I have one ring showing on the preload), and to stop the front fom bottoming and the bike running wide in the kind of corners you're describing I have the front compression damping at 9 , but it's still not quite right.

As another poster mentioned the rear can help offset this a bit, but I'm still chasing the setup.

Last edited by Piper; 11-11-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do you trail brake? If you had a race shop set up your bike, they would probably assume that you trail brake, which reduces front rake (maybe it's trail, all of that ****'s Greek to me). I don't trail brake on the street, and I find that my forks on my streetbike ride high. Sometimes in certain turns, I trail brake to get my street bike to turn. But I just stick to riding slow on the street, so it generally doesn't matter.

It could also be your tire pressures (especially if you're using OEM pressures).

Last edited by Tony216; 11-11-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

The push you describe should be able to be tuned out. Bring it back to your suspension tuner and describe your issue. There are so many factors and variables to consider that it would be difficult to resolve on the internet.

A few things that helped my bike with similar issue: soften up the steering damper, flip the eccentric shock spacer, more shock compression damping.

GL!
ChainLash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

to even try and help you we need

your weight
riding ability
years riding
body postion (a pic of you in a turn if you got one)
current set up
tires (brand)
tire PSI

do you feel the front pushing or is the bike “under steering” (running wide)

a lot of stuff gets blamed on suspension that is rider error and we blame the bike (not saying that this is the case ) its just important to understand it could be you and not the suspension at all, so its’ important that we eliminate the “YOU” factor before we adjust anything
AMRRA Open SS Expert #2
WMRRA #112
Sponsors:
Lithia Motors
Snap-on tools
SMX Optics
Ride Engineering
Suomy Helmets
Leatt neck braces

Last edited by AMRRA12; 11-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
AMRRA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLash View Post
The push you describe should be able to be tuned out. Bring it back to your suspension tuner and describe your issue. There are so many factors and variables to consider that it would be difficult to resolve on the internet.

A few things that helped my bike with similar issue: soften up the steering damper, flip the eccentric shock spacer, more shock compression damping.

GL!

Did you flip the eccentric shock spacer on a 2012?
If yes, then did you also raise the front?
Are you a track rider? If yes, what was the difference in feeling after the change?
What tires do you use?

I'm in the middle of trying to decide if I should flip the eccentric spacer on the rear of my 2012, but have no data, and don't want to change things and send myself off on setup a wild goose chase..

Thanks!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRRA12 View Post
to even try and help you we need

your weight
riding ability
years riding
current set up
tires (brand)
tire PSI

do you feel the front pushing or is the bike “under steering” (running wide)

a lot of stuff gets blamed on suspension that is rider error and we blame the bike (not saying that this is the case ) its just important to understand it could be you and not the suspension at all, so its’ important that we eliminate the “YOU” factor before we adjust anything
your weight - 210 + gear
riding ability - Above average
years riding - 8+
current set up - NA right now
tires (brand) - Stock Bridgestone BT0016
tire PSI - See below

Tire pressure might have been a huge factor in what I'm feeling. I stupidly believed the PDI tech would have set the pressures correctly, but I checked last night and the front was at 39 psi and the rear was at 44 psi. I've lowered them to 30 front and 28 rear, but I haven't had a chance to ride yet, will probably take it out tomorrow and see how it feels.

These are the only pics I have, they are from 6 years ago so probably not much help. lol I'm on the black ZX-6R with the blue headlight tape.

Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject View Post
your weight - 210 + gear
riding ability - Above average
years riding - 8+
current set up - NA right now
tires (brand) - Stock Bridgestone BT0016
tire PSI - See below

Tire pressure might have been a huge factor in what I'm feeling. I stupidly believed the PDI tech would have set the pressures correctly, but I checked last night and the front was at 39 psi and the rear was at 44 psi. I've lowered them to 30 front and 28 rear, but I haven't had a chance to ride yet, will probably take it out tomorrow and see how it feels.

These are the only pics I have, they are from 6 years ago so probably not much help. lol I'm on the black ZX-6R with the blue headlight tape.

39 and 44 WOULD make the Bike feel TERRIBLE...

For the street, those pressures (30, 28) are too low... If it's for the track, then they are right in the ballpark... Street, you might want to try 33-34 front and 35-36 rear... See how it feels.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement